POLL: After VOOM, who will be your provider?

pauljk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Since the people here are among the most knowledgeable around with respect to other companies' offerings and picture quality compared to VOOM, I thought it might be instructive for those who are newer to the satellite world to see if there is any consensus of opinion as to what is the next best thing.

I realize cable offerings vary widely by region, and each person will have to evaluate that on their own, but with respect to Dish and DirectTV I'd love to hear your views.

Paul

I'm going with Time Warner as I have 3 HDTV's and can lease 3 HD-DVR's and not have to buy equipment. I also get a $20 off my bill for a year with no contract. If VOOM comes back in another form I not tied to cable.

Comcast

Comcast wins in my area (Texas). I get my install today. Full package + 2 premium (HBO & Showtime) HD DVR payper view and High speed internet for 12 months. All for under 70.00 a month and no commitment. Next week we can talk about viewing quality. I'm sure I will miss Voom waiting to see where the Voom 21 end up.

We have two HDTV and two older model TVs.

I went through the motions of filling out the order form for the DISH plan I'd like to have with DISH Network and this is the result:

Getting Started
One Time Fees
LEASE EQUIPMENT UPGRADE
$250.00 (for DISH 942)
Digital Home Plan Activation Fee
$49.99
625 UPGRD FEE
$19.99
One Time Cost: $319.98
Monthly Equipment Fees
Programming
America's Everything Pak (with locals) $76.99
Digital Home Advantage (2 Receiver) $5.00
DISH Network HD Pack $9.99
DISH HOME PROTECTION $5.99
Monthly Subtotal: $97.97
Edit/Delete Message

BustAGroove said:

I went through the motions of filling out the order form for the DISH plan I'd like to have with DISH Network and this is the result:

Getting Started
One Time Fees
LEASE EQUIPMENT UPGRADE
$250.00 (for DISH 942)
$49.99
625 UPGRD FEE
$19.99
Monthly Equipment Fees
Programming
Edit/Delete Message

Any committment required on this deal?

In my area cable wins on all counts including:

- Most HD offerings
- Lowest Price
- No commitment
- DVR rental for $9.99 a month
- No absurd "guide fees" or "DVR fees" on top of rental.
- No additional charge for 2 additional HD boxes.

In my situation it was a no-brainer.

I would NOT go with E* or D* based on promises or hopes of what they MIGHT do. Charlie E. is the king of unkept promises. IF and WHEN they deliver will be the time to go back to satellite, not before.

I got cable installed yesterday. Loving the DVR too.

Still wish Voom would of survived, but life moves on.

I already own an E* 811 HD receiver, so I can re-connect with no committment. I prefer a satellite provider since I take my box in my trailer and a second dish for camping in style! :)

I'm installing my Cox Cable Hd DVR tonight.

I went with Cox mostly because I can't justify spending money on expensive satellite hardware that will be obsolete on short order. The cable option costs more for less HD but offers no commitment.

I can wait for E* / D* to get MPG4 figured out... or even Voom 2.0 if it happens :).

BustAGroove said:

Getting Started
One Time Fees
LEASE EQUIPMENT UPGRADE
$250.00 (for DISH 942)
$49.99
625 UPGRD FEE
$19.99
Monthly Equipment Fees
Programming
Edit/Delete Message

What I don't get is the 942 upgrade fee of $250. Is this not a capitalization reduction payment.? If so this should be a lease with a determined amount of time with a buyout or residual value placed on the 942. Since this is a under $1K piece of equipment the lease should be :
$250 Cap reduction fee
24 months at $5
option to purchase for a set residual value of say $199

Just my 2 cents worth

NOBODY will be my provider! After Voom, the HDTV stays off until HD-DVDs come out or until another quality, commercial-free, HDTV service starts up. There are no alternatives to Voom.

I went with Dish.
Only provider at this time to offer TNT-HD (Nascar fan)
Cable in my area sucks.
I will sorely miss my Voom.

Indy said:
What I don't get is the 942 upgrade fee of $250. Is this not a capitalization reduction payment.? If so this should be a lease with a determined amount of time with a buyout or residual value placed on the 942. Since this is a under $1K piece of equipment the lease should be :
$250 Cap reduction fee
24 months at $5
option to purchase for a set residual value of say $199

Just my 2 cents worth

Echostar is probably doing this because a lease fee of $250 appears to be better than $1K for DirecTV's HD DVR. The thing I don't like about DirecTV that you are locked into their equipment because you have ot buy it. At least with Echostar/DISH you have the option of lease vs buying.

BustAGroove said:
Echostar is probably doing this because a lease fee of $250 appears to be better than $1K for DirecTV's HD DVR. The thing I don't like about DirecTV that you are locked into their equipment because you have ot buy it. At least with Echostar/DISH you have the option of lease vs buying.

It is not a lease fee, all it is you pay the $250.00 just so you can lease it at $10.00 a month, it is not a deposit, you don't get it back, think of it as a Seat License for the Sport Stadiums, you pay it, then you buy the Season Tickets.

1080iBeVuMin said:
NOBODY will be my provider! After Voom, the HDTV stays off until HD-DVDs come out or until another quality, commercial-free, HDTV service starts up. There are no alternatives to Voom.
I felt the same way. I later decided to go ahead and get cox HD with the DVR until a viable satellite option (or even a worthwhile Cable provider) comes about.

It isn't a repalcement for Voom by a long shot... but it'll get me by :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)