Poll: Do you prefer OAR content or modified to fit 16x9 screen?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeah...I have the same problem with my Mits...!!! It seems to be only on the Voom STB because I can't see it on any other inputs. The box is connected via DVI and Component with the same problem. With the OTA when viewing commercials or non 16:9, the image is shifted to the left. I try to adjust with the video setups on the box but it doesn't work.

Anyone that can help on this one would be much appreciated...

If the image is shifted, you often need to center it through the factory settings. I had to do that with my Hitachi's DVI connection.

Cropped Image

What I have also noticed is that the image is shown correctly when using the guide which shows the current channel in PIP mode on the right hand side. So it seems like the set top box is doing something to the image when in full screen mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I can't argue the burn-in concern... I watch my non-HD stuff in stretched mode on my Hitachi RPTV just to avoid it.

Originally Posted by madpoet
If the image is shifted, you often need to center it through the factory settings. I had to do that with my Hitachi's DVI connection

Factory settings? How do I get to that menu?

Gr8Reb8 said:
The problem is that it is easy to spot black bars (sides or top/bottom), so it is easy to complain when you see them. If a movie was chopped/cropped, fewer will notice and bother to call to complain.

it's really strange to me that people would complain about that ant not about stuff on the screen being cut off.. but you're right. When I watch pan and scan stuff all I end up being so distracted that I've just learned not to watch it, I'm sure I'll feel the same way with zoomed stuff when voom is installed this weekend. I still wonder if that will make voom useless for me or not because I'm not interested in seeing things zoomed at all.

I get asked this question all the time and my canned response now is: "Let me ask you this, if someone were to give you a 1965 Mustang, would you prefer a stock, off the factory floor cherry model or one that has been modified and changed over the years with after market products, etc." Of course, anyone in the know answers appropriately, the others kind of get a look in their eyes like they just had an epiphany.

I strongly feel that any part of the picture lost to cropping or stretching is unacceptable. The migration from pan and scan to letterbox has been long and drawn out. Why should we start it all over again now? If you think the picture is too small, get a bigger screen. 4x3 programs should be left in 4x3. Widescreen should be letterboxed or pillarboxed to remain complete. I was especially disappointed in the Kung Fu dvd set which was cropped to letterbox of an original 4x3 broadcast.

If a plasma is properly calibrated, ie not heat searing contrast, there is liitle worry of burn-in, key on properly calibrated. Orbiter mode also helps as most modern plasmas have less of an issue. Harken back to the days of CRT burn in, CGA cards, etc. Technology solves these problems (though us early adopters take the brunt). No burn in on my plasma with 2 years running and always OAR, including 4:3.

[nit-pik mode on]
Black bars will NOT cause burn-in. (there is nothing there to burn in)
There may be LESS wear of black portion of screen, that if properly calibrated you will never see.
[nit-pik mode off]

madpoet...maybe you missed this post!!!

Originally Posted by madpoet
If the image is shifted, you often need to center it through the factory settings. I had to do that with my Hitachi's DVI connection

Originally Posted by truqui
Factory settings? How do I get to that menu?

Are you referring to the settings of the Voom STB or the TV?
If it's the STB how do I get there? Can you help?
Thanks in advance...

STB Settings

I am at work so I can't be too precise.

There is a video settings portion of the STB system settings menu. In this Video settings area you can shift the picture vertically and horizontally. i'm not sure if this will help though. I have noticed the same thing with my Mitsubishi 65". Now with three Mitsu owners noticing the same thing(you, myself, and trugel) I am getting concerned. I am going to try some things out with different source tonight and I will let you know tomorrow.

The video setting in "video format" menu of the stb works but it will not save the setting. I sent this to Wilt to see if we can get this fixed.

Sean...I don't think that "video format" menu works at all. It does absolutely nothing! I can't see the picture shifting up or down or horizontally at all.
But is this what madpoet was referring to? Is that the Factory Settings Menu?

wasch 24...You think it might be the DVI input? I can't try anything else on it because the only device I own with DVI is the STB. Via component inputs the only thing shifted is the Voom STB also, so I'm almost positive that this is a STB issue.

Thanks in advance for posting your findings tomorrow!

truqui said:
Sean...I don't think that "video format" menu works at all. It does absolutely nothing! I can't see the picture shifting up or down or horizontally at all.
But is this what madpoet was referring to? Is that the Factory Settings Menu?

wasch 24...You think it might be the DVI input? I can't try anything else on it because the only device I own with DVI is the STB. Via component inputs the only thing shifted is the Voom STB also, so I'm almost positive that this is a STB issue.

I am sorry I should have said it does not work. I think so. Yes. I think it is an issue with the stb. On my set I tried to resolve an overscan issue as well and this setting did not work.

truqui said:

I use component hook ups.

Sorry, was busy shopping for a new stereo receiver :). In my case I specifically meant in the factory settings of my Hitachi TV. The DVI was off-center, and I had to go into their factory menu and update use the correct horizontal controls to center it.

-MP

Hmmm , so maybe it's the DVI input on the Mits!!!
I will have to head over to the avs forum and see if I can get the info on the settings.
Thanks madpoet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)