Poll: Was Your VOOM Installed With Phone Line?

Got a mail back from Vonage. They said they do not support ANY sattelite boxes dialing thru their system. My ATA keeps locking up in the middle of phone calls as it is, always has. I have heard of many problems with the Cisco ATA, which I have. I asked to swap out my ATA (they do jnot use the Cisco anymore) for the new standard Motorola ATA but they said I would have to buy it for $99. This is not good service. I will be dumping Vonage right away. I like VOIP so I may try another service. Anyone had any luck with the Voom STB with any other VOIP services?

The big problem when you cancel Vonage is they wack you a $50 cancelation fee. I had Vonage and liked it, but got rid of it, because all of my upstream was being used to transmit SatelliteGuys Radio. :)

Pete In Plano said:
Got a mail back from Vonage. They said they do not support ANY sattelite boxes dialing thru their system. My ATA keeps locking up in the middle of phone calls as it is, always has. I have heard of many problems with the Cisco ATA, which I have. I asked to swap out my ATA (they do jnot use the Cisco anymore) for the new standard Motorola ATA but they said I would have to buy it for $99. This is not good service. I will be dumping Vonage right away. I like VOIP so I may try another service. Anyone had any luck with the Voom STB with any other VOIP services?

Well.....I opened my big mouth and put my foot in!!! Vonage just wrote me back and said that they would swap my ATA out with the Motorola and give me a RMA for the Cisco. Now, I have been having dropped call problems for a while and that was another reason I had been talking to Tech Support at Vonage so it was not just the Voom dialout not working. The tech told me that he did not know why the Motorola seemed to work and the Cisco did not, but they are sending to me anyway (with no guarantees). At least I can set the Motorola static. On Vonage's website, they have a Tech Note on sattelite boxes and say they do not support them but are working on a fix. I talked to a tech that said it is because of the analog modem being turned digital with their box. Now, most regular phone systems do convert to digital somewhere before the CO, but the ATA may not do as good a job as the Telco switches. They did say that the datarate was too high for their box and they could do 14.4 fax but no more than that. More info as I get it and anyone that knows the baudrate of the STB, let us know. Thanks!!!

UPDATE--my boxes just both reported successfully!!! Vonage VOIP works--tell the world.

Pete In Plano said:
UPDATE--my boxes just both reported successfully!!! Vonage VOIP works--tell the world.
So, did you have to replace your Cisco?

I actually had sucsess with the Cisco. The box dialed all by itself. Wish they would try in the middle of the morning, though. They seem to alwys try at 8 or 9 PM. Found the problem with the ATA, you have to open a large range of ports to the ATA. The Cisco is DHCP only, and my unit keeps locking up and loosing it's IP.This is a hardware problem with my Cisco ATA. So then it reboots and maybee grabs another address, with those ports no longer opened. I have been manually rebooting daily, and watching the address and changing my forwarding in my router to match the ATA. Vonage is sending me a new Motorola ATA that uses DHCP or Static, and I will set it static and be done with it. GREAT service from Vonage, this has restored my faith in them after they had first told me that I had to buy a new ATA, they are sending me a new one with a RMA for the old one-no charge.

Very interesting things I am noticing with the callback. Mine is calling in just fine from my main box but my 2nd box never tried. My main box has been calling in nightly, around 7 or 8 pm. Now, I tried to manually have it call in and get 3 tries then an error--"No Answer" I called the 800 number from my phone and it ranh 15 times before it finally picked up with modem tones. Could be that the failures are the fact that the box only lets it ring 10 times, then hangs up and retries. But eventually, the main box did it on it's own. It looks like the problems may be on Voom's end if the box doesn't let itself ring long enough. Maybee a new firmware update in the Moto will solve that problem.

So, I just got voom yesterday and I am testing out vonage with the reportback feature. I cannot get it to work. The weird thing is, reportback does not even seem to be picking up the line to try and call out. If I start the test then pickup another line, instead of dialing or crash tones I get a dialtone. I tried the 988 test menu and the modem test. When I run that, it at least picks up the phone line and dials out, but I get a busy signal and the test fails. I tested my vonage out with dish before I switched, it worked fine. Is this normal?

Thanks guys
G

gshick said:
So, I just got voom yesterday and I am testing out vonage with the reportback feature. I cannot get it to work. The weird thing is, reportback does not even seem to be picking up the line to try and call out. If I start the test then pickup another line, instead of dialing or crash tones I get a dialtone. I tried the 988 test menu and the modem test. When I run that, it at least picks up the phone line and dials out, but I get a busy signal and the test fails. I tested my vonage out with dish before I switched, it worked fine. Is this normal?

Thanks guys
G
gshick,

Welcome to the forum!

Does the phone number line show a 1-800 number? If it doesn't, you won't be able to report back for now.

This really sucks. I was completely prepared to go with Voom and leave D* till I read STB faq. I mean I ditched Spr*nt for their lousy costs and service and I'm so much happier with Vonage.

This is lame. There needs to be a better solution.