Poll: What Screen Size do Voom customers prefer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Voom4Me

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
New Jersey
Since its been an eternity since we had a poll around here, (at least three days :)) I figured I’d start one that would give us an idea on what the average “screen size” Voom customers prefer? I’m not too concerned with the type of screen. (projection, plasma, LCD, etc.) Perhaps if interested, someone could start a thread on that topic.

With all the discussions regarding the difference in PQ from one member to the next, I thought it would be informative to learn about the screens we are using to making our judgments.

P.S. Vote quickly, as today may be our last day… JK!!! :D

Hitachi 50V500 -- LCD -- 50" -- Stunning PQ
Hitachi 51S500 -- 51" -- Good to great PQ

Shouldn't the question be-What size screen DID you use with your VOOM service. That way the question will still be grammatically correct in a couple of months.

50' Pioneer Elite Plasma

61" Samsung DLP.

PQ does seem to vary channel to channel and day to day at times. Some overcompressed SD channels look especially bad. Example Outdoor Life.

Some SD channels like CNN Headline News used to have some severe C-BAND sparklies, but they seem to have gone away and now PQ on CNN HLN is not too bad for SD.

What really shines (and you can readily tell) is when you have something filmed with HD cameras, edited with HD equipment and broadcast with sufficient bandwidth, example Discovery HD Theater, Rave or Eauator. Sometimes a lizard in the Amazon in HD can really remind you of why you spent so much on a TV.

46" + 16:9 + 1080i = pure HD sweetness :)

I only have a 46" because of the size of my current apartment really makes things difficult when trying to accommodate a bigger unit... but I'm getting my first house in mid August... and it will be 'inaugurated' with a 60"+ TV then :D!

The following 3 in the order listed:

1. 106" Infocus 4805 DLP Projector (480p, 16x9)

2. 57" Hitachi HiDef RPTV (CRT's) (1080i, 16x9)

3. 25" RCA CRT SDTV (480i, 4x3)

Right now my only HDTV, which is actually my only active TV in the house, is a 30" 16:9 CRT. I really like it, and it was a huge step up from the crappy set I had for so many years before. I really wanted a 50-60" set but couldn't afford the technology I wanted, but DAMN they are getting cheaper almost by the day! It shouldn't be too long before I can move the 30" to my bedroom and put a 50"+ in the living room. I am confident Voom will pull through, the market is just now opening up. It would have been a bad move to wait until the last minute to start a HD service like voom, look at all the bugs and problems they have fixed so far. If they started today, they would still be at square 1!

--Dan

I have a Sony Wega XBR700 40 inch TUBE. The best picture available PERIOD! The only negative thing about my TV is that it weighs 304 pounds. Still, they don't make tubes bigger than 40 inches or else I would have one. Bigger is not always better with TV's and if you want the best picture available get a 40 inch tube.

freezetime said:
I have a Sony Wega XBR700 40 inch TUBE. The best picture available PERIOD! The only negative thing about my TV is that it weighs 304 pounds. Still, they don't make tubes bigger than 40 inches or else I would have one. Bigger is not always better with TV's and if you want the best picture available get a 40 inch tube.

Best PQ?

What about Panasonic 500 in dedicated room with 106" screen?
And I can compare it with 61" Hitachi and Panny rules! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)