Poll what will be your response if equiptment fees go up a lot?

Poll what will be your response if equiptment fees go up a lot?

• Total voters
:up :up :up :up :up
Wish there was a box for... "A poll like this is pointless, but we needed an excuse for another thread on Dish's supposed yearly rate hike" now that box I would check. But as for this poll, no vote from me...
I would agree with you, But I'm getting sick and tired of the Lack of Balls E* has with its price increases. Grow a pair of Nads and Just tell us our bill is going up $6 instead of being sneaky.

Some of us don't want to 'drop' parts of our service as a solution to these supposed equipment price increases. Yes, the Movie Premiums show many movies/series repeatedly, but I camp on these channels more than anything else. With E*, I have 31 HD Movie Premiums (32 with HBO Latino) that are important to me. And yes, I have two Roku boxes with a Netflix subscription.

Be assured that E*'s finance department has thoroughly reviewed the breakage of revenue lost from people downgrading versus revenue gained from these increases. E* wouldn't be doing this if revenue wasn't going to be a net add.

Finally, there will eventually be a point where there won't be anything left to drop down to, year over year, if 'dropping' things off our accounts is the 'solution' to these increases.

For most people their locals , the big 4 networks, is where they camp for the most part. I know we stay glued to ABC most days till 2:00pm. Most people no longer have premium movie packs because of the high cost. HBO Alone cost 15.99 a month? The only way I could afford it last summer is the $10.00 loyalty discounts I got from DISH ,when they offered it last year. But in many cases it will end up being a net loss of revenue if you drop off the extra dvr receivers off of you account. At 17.00 a duo tuner dvr receiver it will be quite a hike to many people's bills. If you combine losing the extra dvrs with a drop in programming as well , combined with others who say they will do the same , or drop DISH all together, it will definitely hurt DISH in revenue per sub and in loss of all those potential equipment fee revenue. Especially those subs that played by the rules and went with the highest programming pack to escape the dvr fees : AEP. There is no reason to stay with this pack any longer since DISH changed the rules and you will still get a dvr fee , so why pay for movie channels full of repeats that you have already seen a 100 times before? This will also cause a loss in dvr sales for Echostar who makes the duo tuner dvrs, since most people will only take one per account now. Now if you are made of money to burn , it won't matter and you will absorb the hike in fees just fine. But we are talking about AVERAGE customer of DISH -the supposed low priced leader in satellite tv. Yes they can still claim it for Programming , but NOT for excess equipment fees made up all the JUST BECAUSE WE CAN charges.

Bad idea penalizing DVR subs since they are the stickiest............. or perhaps they believe DVR subs wouldnt defect?

Like I said in another post about DISH dvr history:

DISH started getting subs hooked with the 501/508 series of dvrs in the early part of this decade and NO DVR FEES. They moved to the 721/ 921 series of dvr and hd dvr and NO DVR FEES! Now once we were all hooked on dvrs they moved to the 510/ 522/525/622/722/722k dvrs with a DVR fee PER DVR RECEIVER! The only thing was they eventually added name based recording features to these receivers , something DISH lacked since DIRECTV had it with their TIVO class of dvrs. Now people suffered through this by subbing to AEP to escape the DVR FEES PER RECEIVER and the trade off was 4 premium movie packs.

Now this year Charlie in his ultimate GREEDY mode decided it was time to go ahead and reel all these subs in, by jacking them for the dvr fee-"per account". Which is a outright lie , because not only did they not eliminate the 5.00 dvr fee in the combined lease/additional receiver and dvr fee, they added the tv2- 5.00 connection fee as well and lumped them into one big ass non descript "equipment fee" per duo tuner dvr receiver. You can't even escape the tv2 connection fee by plugging it into a phone or ethernet line. They also won't separate the fees out so you can see what you are being charged for. You will just see Equipment fee for $17.00.

So now that you see where they are coming from the question is will you continue to take the bill raping that Charlie and company has decided to give AEP subs with multiple duo tuner dvrs or will you decide to take a stand and put YOUR money where your mouth is? I still say the best way to get your point through is drop off all movie packs, drop off all extra duo tuner dvrs off of your account and or supplement your tvs with 211ks instead with dvr software-pay one time 39.99 to turn your external hard drive into a dvr.

So say you replace one extra 622/722 or 722k on your account after the first one , with two 211k dvrs that you pay to get dvr sofware on. What do you gain?

A separate hd receiver for two hd tvs in your house that can record one ota and one sat channel at the same time. Guess what ? You will still only pay $14.00 a month for two 211ks (2 x 7.00 =14.00) vs the one $17.00 equipment fee for the extra 625/622/722 or 722k receiver. You will also have hd on EACH hd tv and not just sd run by coax on one of your tvs. THe best part is NO MONTHLY DVR FEES on the 211ks with dvr software.

Cancel service. We have 5 TV's - one HD with DVR (722) and four SD (322 and 311). Would face a $12/month increase, which would make Dish more expensive than DirecTV.

Cancel service. We have 5 TV's - one HD with DVR (722) and four SD (322 and 311). Would face a $12/month increase, which would make Dish more expensive than DirecTV.
So with Dish you'll be paying $6 + $14 + $7 = $27. With direct you'll be paying $6 + ($5 x 4 addt'l receivers) = $26. The $1 savings probably is not going to offset direct's overall higher programming costs.

So with Dish you'll be paying $6 + $14 + $7 = $27. With direct you'll be paying $6 + ($5 x 4 addt'l receivers) = $26. The $1 savings probably is not going to offset direct's overall higher programming costs.
Actually it would be even...D* is raising their DVR fee to $7.00.

I'll wait and see. AEP w/ locals , 3 x 722s and 1 x 510 , let's hope my fees don't go up too much. If they do, I'll drop AEP and the 510. The kids tvs will use a 722 in dual mode.

I will most likely remove all but one receiver and split it with the other TV's.
It's not so much the jacking of the fee's that gets me, it's all the extra taxes that come into play.
If my dish bill starts to look like what my old verizon bill did? It will end up being canceled like my old verizon service.

How's that going to work out when DTV announces their annual price increase?

They already did announce their price change for Directv. They are also moving their date for the change to February instead of the traditional March date. So most prices are going up between $3.00 - $6.00 and their dvr fee is going up to $7.00 . Of course they are not hiking their equipment fees, made up of JUST BECAUSE WE CAN CHARGES like DISH.

Directv gives its customers Notice!
Dish Network doesn't!
Directv says your bill is going up.
Dish network says your bill is going down, But when really its never does.

Meh, I recalculated and it ends up being a wash - both will come out to within a few cents of each other. But DirecTV will give enormous savings for the first year, plus I could get MSG in HD.

If Dish were still over $10 cheaper than DirecTV for the same service I'd stick with them, but a $12 increase in a year, added to the $8 increase they slapped us with last year, is ridiculous. For the same price, DirecTV looks a lot better.

Decided not to wait and because the CSR's have really been annoying me with my POS622 fiasco, I decided to dump the Multisports pack and Playboy tonight. Now that that is done, I need some help from those of you who really study this stuff.

Here's my problem- I noticed that the ONLY 2 SD channels I watch are Bloomberg and The Military channel. Unfortunately, I have to go to Gold 250 package for these channels. Everything else I watch is in HD and I would just go to HD only save for these two channels viewed per month.
I suppose I could ween myself off these because $63 plus 12% tax is pretty steep to pay.
I don't think there is a solution on Dish around this, so I'm looking for maybe internet IP TV solutions.
Next, I think I want to switch to "owned DVR's" again but need to analyze that cost / benefit. In the past owning a DVR was just too costly. I paid $1000 for a PVR921 and $1000 for a TIVO. They lasted 2 years before obsolete. It seems today that MP4 will be with us for quite some time and ownership may be a good gamble. I think it may be one way to stop having to deal with these CSR's on refurb POS 622's and the bait and switch Dish n it up con game they play. And... if you didn't get it, I am really irritated over this!

Decided not to wait and because the CSR's have really been annoying me with my POS622 fiasco, I decided to dump the Multisports pack and Playboy tonight. Now that that is done, I need some help from those of you who really study this stuff.

Here's my problem- I noticed that the ONLY 2 SD channels I watch are Bloomberg and The Military channel. Unfortunately, I have to go to Gold 250 package for these channels. Everything else I watch is in HD and I would just go to HD only save for these two channels viewed per month.
I suppose I could ween myself off these because $63 plus 12% tax is pretty steep to pay.
I don't think there is a solution on Dish around this, so I'm looking for maybe internet IP TV solutions.
Next, I think I want to switch to "owned DVR's" again but need to analyze that cost / benefit. In the past owning a DVR was just too costly. I paid $1000 for a PVR921 and $1000 for a TIVO. They lasted 2 years before obsolete. It seems today that MP4 will be with us for quite some time and ownership may be a good gamble. I think it may be one way to stop having to deal with these CSR's on refurb POS 622's and the bait and switch Dish n it up con game they play. And... if you didn't get it, I am really irritated over this!

I believe that you could watch Bloomberg online since I saw it online in the past, but I may be wrong about that. E* offers it a la carte for $1.50/month, but I am not sure if you would really want to pay that much a month for one channel. I hope that helps. I am not sure about The Military Channel other than that it is in the 250 package. They may have video (probably video clips) on their website. I am sorry that I am not much help with that one; however, maybe someone else may be more helpful...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)