Poll: Who's using an EHD on their HR-34? Is that why we feel it's slow?

Does an External Harddrive on your HR-34 effect its performance?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
I see many posts where some state that their HR-34's are painfully slow and others that say it's almost as fast as an HR-24 and they think those of us that say it's slow are crazy. Mine is unbearably slow, so it got me to thinking maybe it's my External Hard Drive. When I disconnected my EHD, sure enough the HR-34 is as good as my HR-24's. Not sure if it's a bad hard drive or the software and how it handles external hard drive. So please also post if you have any issues with the speed of the HR-34 and whether or not you have an External Hard Drive or not.

Have a HR34/no external drive

Mine gets slow when I record a bunch of stuff at same time. Had a couple series recording and the Jays/Indians game and it was painful changing channels. Took forever. Changing via guide was fine

All shows done recording and it was back to very fast channel changing

i don't have an external HD and it gets real slow. the internal hard drive is more than half way full but am not sure if that matters at all.

There are times that just pressing pause takes a minute or more to respond. Forget it if you want to view the guide or program list. I have found that I now have no problems without using the EHD.

i don't have an external HD and it gets real slow. the internal hard drive is more than half way full but am not sure if that matters at all.

nah. Mine was 94% empty before last Friday (when I recorded 12 college hockey games) and it was still slow then when it was recording 3 shows at once.

I don't have that problem on the 24 even on 70 percent full and recording 2 shows at once, But the HR22:)

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I have an HR34 and no external HD and thus far my receiver is not sluggish. Although I just got it installed two days ago (4/1) so maybe because it's newly installed it's all good. I currently still have 95% free. And at this exact time I am DVRing 4 shows plus downloading 1 show on fake on demand. I don't know what will happen months down the line but I really hope it doesn't start acting the way some of you all's acts because I went through that with my HD DVR when I was previously with DTV and it was a ridiculous nightmare.

I don't have that problem on the 24 even on 70 percent full and recording 2 shows at once, But the HR22:)

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

24's are a beautiful thing. although D* has messed the software for it once or twice but fixed it quickly.

I don't have an HR34. I find that with the two HR2xs I have, there is plenty of space for my usage. So much so that I sometimes don't get around to watch some shows. So my question is with the 1TB in the HR34, why do you need more space? Is it because there are many in the household recording everything under the sun?

I do use the HR-34 to record and archive a lot of movies and I do record a lot on it. My 2 TB is 51% free, so the 1TB would likely suffice, but with the small cost why not upgrade to 2TB? I went with the 2TB from the start, so I didn't have to worry about any recordings on the internal.

I do use the HR-34 to record and archive a lot of movies and I do record a lot on it. My 2 TB is 51% free, so the 1TB would likely suffice, but with the small cost why not upgrade to 2TB? I went with the 2TB from the start, so I didn't have to worry about any recordings on the internal.
Problem is, IF your drive does or the recvr, goes bad, you've lost your recording ... All of them.

Here's an update to my sluggishness problem being resolved! Maybe it can help you!

It ended up that it wasn't my harddrive that was going bad, but a corrupted Boolean search autorecord that was causing my receiver to be so painfully slow. You may have seen in another thread that I was planning to clone a new harddrive because I thought my EHD was bad and causing my HR-34 to be painfully slow, but I found the cloning process very complicated. So instead I started using a hot swappable EHD tray and was going to just go back and forth between the two harddrives, watching my recordings off the old hard drive while I watched live TV and recorded all new programs on my new hard drive. Well that sounded like a great idea at first, it just wasn't going to work as I found that every time I wanted to watch one of my old recordings, I had something new set to record.
Luckily for me, when I tried to download the latest CE over the weekend on my old hard drive, it wasn't in the stream, so I ended up reverting back to NR from last weekend’s CE. I did not lose all of my recordings but did lose all of my series links. The good news was that I did find that my HR-34 was normal again. No more sluggishness! Remote button presses didn't take forever. Now I did write down all of my series links and timers and when I was about half way through re-building my series links, one autorecord (one of my Boolean searches) that I set up again had my receiver working painfully slow. After deleting all of my Boolean search autorecords, my receiver speed again returned to normal. So if you have a painfully slow HR-34, you may want to delete all of your timers and series links and re-enter them one at a time to see if that helps you out. Good luck!

Here's an update to my sluggishness problem being resolved! Maybe it can help you!

It ended up that it wasn't my harddrive that was going bad, but a corrupted Boolean search autorecord that was causing my receiver to be so painfully slow. You may have seen in another thread that I was planning to clone a new harddrive because I thought my EHD was bad and causing my HR-34 to be painfully slow, but I found the cloning process very complicated. So instead I started using a hot swappable EHD tray and was going to just go back and forth between the two harddrives, watching my recordings off the old hard drive while I watched live TV and recorded all new programs on my new hard drive. Well that sounded like a great idea at first, it just wasn't going to work as I found that every time I wanted to watch one of my old recordings, I had something new set to record.
Luckily for me, when I tried to download the latest CE over the weekend on my old hard drive, it wasn't in the stream, so I ended up reverting back to NR from last weekend’s CE. I did not lose all of my recordings but did lose all of my series links. The good news was that I did find that my HR-34 was normal again. No more sluggishness! Remote button presses didn't take forever. Now I did write down all of my series links and timers and when I was about half way through re-building my series links, one autorecord (one of my Boolean searches) that I set up again had my receiver working painfully slow. After deleting all of my Boolean search autorecords, my receiver speed again returned to normal. So if you have a painfully slow HR-34, you may want to delete all of your timers and series links and re-enter them one at a time to see if that helps you out. Good luck!

Sounds like it was the Boolean search autorecords more than anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts