Pool fence and dish farm

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Maybe an old idea but since most town/cities want fences around pools what about getting a pool fence to hide dishs?:D:D

Maybe an old idea but since most town/cities want fences around pools what about getting a pool fence to hide dishs?:D:D
Sure when you're farther south I could put some thought into it.

Most of my dishes end up aiming low on the horizon.
38 degrees is my highest elevation. :(
So I would put up a 3 sided fence with the South side open, if I had to.

Right now I'm planning on "hiding" my 10 foot mesh behind the storage shed to be polite to the neighbors.
Otherwise it would be in the middle of the back yard. :D

Why would you hide dishes?
Not everybody appreciates the look of satellite dishes or even their yard looking like the first picture
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/131140-pics-dish-farm-post-yours-too-10.html#post1885640
I mean it as a compliment. ;)

In the case of my neighborhood, we live in a covenant-lapsed HOA
Neighbor #1: "assumed" HOA supporters live kitty-corner from NE.
Neighbor #2: live on my backside to the W. Right now, for the BUD to get 97W-139W it would end up in their living room windows LOS.
Neighbor #3: lives SSE and gets to stare at my Direcway and Starband from their back yard. Has the one tree that ruins my LOS from the most private part of my yard :mad:

However by playing nice neighbor to Neighbor #2, I can trim and Hack whatever trees I need out of my LOS and put it out of sight of all but neighbors except Neighbor #3 to my south.

Last edited:
I don't like the look of large SUVs, but that doesn't give me the right to tell my neighbor he or she can't buy one and keep it on his or her PRIVATE property. There's too much of that cr@p going on in our society. Where it came from and how it started, I have no idea. It goes against the fundamental principle of our country. But anyway, getting off my soap box...

The fenced pool regulations are generally safety-related, in order to keep young children from falling in and drowning. I can kind of see the reasoning behind such a law. As for HOAs, I feel bad for people who are in the grip of their power. Unfortunately, when a legal document is signed, its terms (no matter how ridiculous) have to be obeyed :( ...

However by playing nice neighbor to Neighbor #2, I can trim and Hack whatever trees I need out of my LOS and put it out of sight of all but neighbors except Neighbor #3 to my south.

So they are gonna let you go over to their property and trim the tree? Not clear on HOA's, but every place I have lived, if it overhangs into my property and I don't like it, I can do what I want with the parts on and above my land. I just did that to my neighbors tree, took about 12 big branches off cause they were hanging over my yard and dropping not just leaves, but nasty birch tree things. I didn't ask permission, but I did tell them I was going to trim it.

So they are gonna let you go over to their property and trim the tree? Not clear on HOA's, but every place I have lived, if it overhangs into my property and I don't like it, I can do what I want with the parts on and above my land. I just did that to my neighbors tree, took about 12 big branches off cause they were hanging over my yard and dropping not just leaves, but nasty birch tree things. I didn't ask permission, but I did tell them I was going to trim it.
The quip about HOA was to point out I have/had bossy neighbors

Neighbor #2 agreed to let me hack out a tree that grew 25 in 3 years. :eek:
Also gave me a nod about any other trees that might give me trouble. ;):D

Neighbor #3 has the troublesome tree that blocks my favorite part of the yard for dishes. And NO, it doesn't hang over onto my property either. :mad::mad::mad:

I don't like the look of large SUVs, but that doesn't give me the right to tell my neighbor he or she can't buy one and keep it on his or her PRIVATE property. There's too much of that cr@p going on in our society. Where it came from and how it started, I have no idea. It goes against the fundamental principle of our country. But anyway, getting off my soap box...

Well, don't leave your soap box out in plain site, or we'll have the neighborhood vigilance patrol come by and confiscate it.

I think the goal is to make a neighborhood look unlived in. And I think your example of the SUV is a great one. As the saying goes, what is good for the goose, is sometimes prohibited for the gander.

In my neighborhood I note: basketball backboards (not only "ugly", haha, but encourgage strange dribbling noises) and these tools of the basketball trade are taller than my BUDs. What this? I smell barbecue grills, tsk tsk, which only encourage smoke and mouth-watering odors, the gathering of friends, etc. They gotta go! In the mist of the early morning I can see canoes on the side of garages, and as we all know, canoes are unstable, so what does that say about their owners, huh?

And so on.

Really, I think satellite dishes are the low hanging fruit for the wannabe busybody. A reasonable television watching person marches off the cliff like a lemming and would never have such a thing, so let's prohibit THEM and leave US alone.

As Groucho Marx once said, "I wouldn't belong to any HOA that would have me as a member". Or something like that.

Last edited:
The quip about HOA was to point out I have/had bossy neighbors

Neighbor #2 agreed to let me hack out a tree that grew 25 in 3 years. :eek:
Also gave me a nod about any other trees that might give me trouble. ;):D

Neighbor #3 has the troublesome tree that blocks my favorite part of the yard for dishes. And NO, it doesn't hang over onto my property either. :mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like #2 is a decent guy. I was just making sure I understood your situation.

I remember when C-Band dishes were a status symbol.........sigh:rolleyes:
I remember thinking of the D* and E* dishes were people who were "wannabe" or poorer than C-band dish owners. :p
Then again I was 10 years old when I was thinking that. Amazing how true it has become in the years since with all the people I hear whining about wanting cable and D*/E* "ala-carte" :rolleyes:

About a week ago the place where I work turned in a 6' and 12' solid dish. Replaced both with some black 1.2 m dishs on the roof.

I think it gives a less teck look now.
Oh well.

As for home owner stuff and covanets(sp). I would like to think people choose to live in these places and "READ" the fine print. If not vote with you feet and leave.
Much easier said then done. I the meen time good luck hinding the dishs.

I remember when C-Band dishes were a status symbol.........sigh:rolleyes:

Our HOA says if no neighbor with a half mile complains, it is OK... My closest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away! He has two very bright yard lights, but I am not going to complain too loudly. If I want 10 C band dishes and 5 300 foot windmills, as long as I can afford them -- well I would have to get a permit for windmills over 299 feet tall!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts