Poor 942 HD OTA Locals Scanning?

SouthRider

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Covington, La
Is it just me? Or are there others whose 942 does a horrible job of picking up HD OTA locals?

Whether I try to scan or do a manual add - I can only get 1 HD OTA local. There are several more that come in fantastic from the built in HD receiver in my TV (55" Sony Grand Wega rear projection LCD).

Are the 622's any better?

Does anyone have any tips or advice. I hate watching these great new HD network shows when I can't pause FF etc.

Jim,

I'm halfway between Covington & Folsom - about 40 miles from NO.

Are you getting FOX8 or ABC on 26.1?

Or better asked - which NO Hd channels are you now getting? Some of them haven't returned since Katrina.

My 942 will only pick up channels 4.1, 38.1, & the package that comes with 49. I do get ALL of the HD channels from my antenna & TV receiver.

I can't get my 942 to pick up the others when I scan.....

Thanx...

Clark

SouthRider said:
Jim,

Or better asked - which NO Hd channels are you now getting? Some of them haven't returned since Katrina.

My 942 will only pick up channels 4.1, 38.1, & the package that comes with 49. I do get ALL of the HD channels from my antenna & TV receiver.

Thanx...

Clark

Compared to most other OTA digital tuners (whether STBs or built into the HDTV), Dish OTA tuners usually do not perform as well.

Some will jump in here and boast how their 942 or 622 picks up all these OTA signals and they may indeed be right but if they compared apples to apples, Dish OTA digital tuners usually arn't as good as others, especially when it comes to border line, hard to receive, fringe stations.

waltinvt said:
Compared to most other OTA digital tuners (whether STBs or built into the HDTV), Dish OTA tuners usually do not perform as well.

Some will jump in here and boast how their 942 or 622 picks up all these OTA signals and they may indeed be right but if they compared apples to apples, Dish OTA digital tuners usually arn't as good as others, especially when it comes to border line, hard to receive, fringe stations.

I agree. They do a nice job with stations within a reasonable range, but those borderline stations and signals are tough.

Oh, I forgot to mention that with my 811 all the signal strengths would be in the 85-90 range, but with the 942, they are all steady at 100.

SouthRider said:
Jim,

Thanx...

Clark

I'm getting CBS 4.1 (DT 36) 95 -100% full 1080i

FOX 8.1 (DT 29) 95 -100% full 720p

PBS 12.1 (DT 11) 95 -100% full 1080i

ABC 26.1 (DT 50) Broadcasting from the WPXL 49.1 (DT 50) transmitter 95 -100% full 720p

WB 38.1 (DT 50) Broadcasting from the WPXL 49.1 (DT 50) transmitter 95 -100% @ 480i

UPN 54.1 (DT 25) 95 -100% Crapovision

NBC 6.1 (DT 43) is not back on the air (Digital OTA) and they say it wont be till 2007 sometime

If you're getting 38.1 you should be getting ABC 26.1 They are broadcasting from the same xmitter temporarily till they get their own back online.

26.1 is UHF channel 50

38.1 is UHF channel 50

My 811 and 942 caught them both on channel 50 and mapped them as 26.1 and 38.1

I have a Zenith silver sensor UHF combined with a Channelmaster 4228 running through a CM 777 preamp. Split out to my 942, an 811, a Samsung t 151 and my HTPC with an ATI HDTV wonder ATSC card.

Solid full signals on all.

I'm only 20 miles away. Send me a PM with your phone # if you want a hand and we'll see what we can do.

Last edited:
teachsac said:
I agree. They do a nice job with stations within a reasonable range, but those borderline stations and signals are tough.

My 811 used to register and show any signal strength at 40% or higher even if the station wouldn't lock. I made it a lot easier to use the antenna rotor to "zero" in on the station by watching the signal strength.

The 942 and 622 however WILL NOT even register any low signal activity - at least I've never seen them show anything below 60%. It makes it near impossible to tune in a fringe signal. Certainly no way you'll do it with a scan - especially with the 622, which scans about 5 times faster than the 942. I'm betting the 622 won't even see any signals lower than 65% during a scan.

I think Dish figures it will get less service calls if their tuners only pick up good strong signals that easily lock with a scan, so it designed their tuners to reject the weaker, problematic stations.

Greetings,

I am in the same boat as you are. I have a 211 and a 942. The 211 does a great job with the hd locals, but the 942 at this point will not pickup any hd locals. The thing is, when I first got hooked up. It worked just fine. Then all I could get was fox. Now nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts