Poor Customer Service

StLouG

Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
First last week the installer came out to the house to reinstall my Dish. He was sloppy, would not move the furniture, would not run the cable directly into the house but rather used a splitter on a old cable that was already her from another system to bring into the house. Did now screw the plastic face plate on the wall and he then ran the cable into the old connector. Since that time the line from the box into the wall has fallen out three times.

Tonight I called DISH CSR because I had no signal. Help me not to scream. The first lady from a foreign country put me through to tech support. After a 45 minute wait I hung up. Called again got another foreign CSR. explained about how I went behind the set and saw that the cable was loose from the wall. Screwed it back in and had TV again. I wanted somebody to come and reinstall the system. She said sure but that would cost me $29.00 (I have Dish Home Protection Plan). I said I was not going to pay for their poor workmanship. I told her that I wanted to talk with a supervisor. After another 20 minute wait I hung up again. Called back finally got somebody I could understand. She said that the problem would be taken care of then all of sudden we got disconnected. Called back again. Got another CSR who told me that they could fix the problem but it would cost me money. I said that they were crazy. He said he would connect me with tech support and maybe they could authorize a free service call. I said OK but after another 30 minutes I hung up again. By this time I had been on the phone for about 2 hours. Called one more time. Finally got a CSR by the name of Walden number MD2. He said no problem he would authorize the fix and it would not cost me anything. Took about 15 minutes for the whole thing to be taken care.

For crying out loud where do they get these people from? Do most of them just read from a script with no concern for their customers? Some of the poorest help I have ever had. :mad:

StLouG said:
For crying out loud where do they get these people from? Do most of them just read from a script with no concern for their customers? Some of the poorest help I have ever had. :mad:

It is amazing, isn't it that there ore more responses from CSRs than there are CSRs? A different answer on every call.

JohnP :mad:

Your problem seems to be the installer did a incomplete and sloppy job and then dealing with customer service added another layer of problems and frustration.

unfortunetly scripted responses is all too common in many of todays customer and tech support departments and not unique to Dish.
They tend to read from a computer screen the most common problems and offer only canned responses. Most lack the ability to actually deal with unique situations and problems.
Out sourcing these jobs to foreign countries can often add to the problems because very often you can't understand there english very well.

I belive the real problem is a lazy workforce in general and lack of pride in the work they do.
The ever increasing pressure to maintain a profitable bottom line also adds to the problem.
Consumers demand the lowest price and corparations have no choice but to find ways to cut costs by going with lower cost vendors and suppliers.
The installer is most likely forced to squeeze more installs in per day and looks for ways to save time and equipment/supply cost.

Im not make excuses for anyone just pointing out the vicious cycle were all stuck in.
There is blame enough to go around.

One thing I saw in your statement is that "would not move the furniture". As an installer I stopped moving customers stuff around after getting burned way to many times for stuff that was broken before I even touched it. Yet that should not be an excuse for a poor install. It is up to the customer to ensure that the installer goes over in detail the install process before the first cable is run. That not only protects you, but also covers the installer. It is your right to refuse the install, reschedule or ask to speak with his supervisor. Many times I have done things at customers request such as running new cable when the coax in the house is perfectly good to make them happy. Yet if a customers request exceeds the bounds of a standard install I will stand my ground and call my supervisor to my location to try and settle the dispute. I give the customer the best quality install I can, but I will not let them take advantage of me.

Jtravel:

I don't mind the rest of the workforce in existance slipping into lazy oblivion. It just makes my work ethic shine that much brighter. :D People will pay good money for someone who is competant, quick, and communicative.

Before the installer left, did you sign a form stating that the install was satisfactory? Maybe you shouldnt have.

C.Lyons said:
One thing I saw in your statement is that "would not move the furniture". As an installer I stopped moving customers stuff around after getting burned way to many times for stuff that was broken before I even touched it. Yet that should not be an excuse for a poor install. It is up to the customer to ensure that the installer goes over in detail the install process before the first cable is run. That not only protects you, but also covers the installer. It is your right to refuse the install, reschedule or ask to speak with his supervisor. Many times I have done things at customers request such as running new cable when the coax in the house is perfectly good to make them happy. Yet if a customers request exceeds the bounds of a standard install I will stand my ground and call my supervisor to my location to try and settle the dispute. I give the customer the best quality install I can, but I will not let them take advantage of me.

On other installs I have always helped the installer move my furniture that way if anything gets broken it is my fault. Plus I always clear objects off and away from things that need to be moved.

Yes I did sign the customer work order even though I thought he did poor work. However I thought this guy is a professional he knows what he is doing. I just know that in my job that type of workmanship would never do so I guess I expected the same out of others. I guessed I learned my lesson.

Let me say that their are very good installers out there and some of them have worked on my house and I have never had a problem. Also there are very good CSR's. I guess this time I just got some bad ones. So to all of the people who do a good job thanks for everything. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)