Poor hd reception

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From your last post it looks like one or some of the connectors "stingers" are not set correctly and are retracting when it gets cold, or they are not torqued on at all. IF you are able to check all outside fittings and make sure the Dialectic (white center part around the copper) is flush with the inside of the connector and the stinger comes out at least 1/8th" from the end and are compression type, not crimp or screw on.

FWIW:
Satellite 103(c) Signal strengths at 4:00 PM EDT
1-8 96,95,94,88,95,93,90,88
9-14 93,92,88,90,94,92

Satellite 103(c) Signal strengths at 11:00 PM EDT
1-8 73,73,70,67,71,70,67,66
9-14 71,69,67,67,70,70

One more question and I'll let you all alone.

On the day I checked signal strengths mid afternoon and again late at night, It was a warn sunny day (mid 60's), (the antenna takes direct sunlight in the afternoon). Late evening the temp had dropped into the low 40's high 30's.

The signal strength at night was at least 20 points lower than it was during the day.

Late evening last night was a quit warm for this time of year - near about 60 degrees -- and signal strength was good - so was hi-def reception.

Is this difference in signal strength with temperature common? or is it a symptom of an LNB going bad?

I have snapshots of the signal strength display from the setup; is that going to be enough to convince Directv that there really is a problem?

Gary

Gary,
Like the others mentioned, this is not typical and the LNB is probably going bad.
There was a Slimline set up (don't know which brand for sure, there are several out there) that is known to not handle the cold weather well.
They have replaced them when the issue has been brought to their attention.

In another direction, your Locals will be on either the 99(s) or the 103(s).
There will probably be a few transponders that are very high (90's) and the rest will be much lower or zero, this is typical ((s) stands for spot beam, mainly your locals)

Jimbo

Thanks for all the info and comments; Directv "escalated" my problem. I was visited by one of the more knowledgeable techs this morning, and the HD reception acted up for him (we have a winter weather advisory in effect, and it is in the low 30'sw).

After checking all of the connectors and replacing some, the problem persisted. He then replaced the LNB and all is now well!.

Gary

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)