Poor picture on Local Channel

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I subscribe to the Everything Plan, and all the stations come in very clear, with the exception of one, WPBT-PBS in South Florida. All the other locals are okay.

There are tiny little white dots that travel through the picture, and it gets worse at different times of the day. Does anyone else have very poor quality like this on one or more of their local stations? If someone in Miami-Fort Lauderdale has access to this station (8836), are they also seeing these tiny dots? It's been going on for months, and somehow I don't think it is unique to me, but the interference being sent out by Dish Network.

Anyone else have a similar problem with a local channel??

It's most likely a problem at Dish Network's end, where they are receiving the channel off the analog broadcast and sending it to the uplink station. My local WB station has ghosting which really confuzzled me until I learned that's how the locals are delivered, from an analog OTA reception to begin with.

Thanks for the tip . . I sent an email to the contact you gave me. I also just called the engineering technician at WPBT TV and he said he would try to work with Dish Network to fix the signal.

He said he subscribes to Direct TV and there is no problem with their signal . . . :mad:

I get the ghosting on a couple of the local channels. I am using a DVR-522 and have seen the ghosting ever since the installation with L208, now have L232 and it is still present. It noticeably happens more on close images of faces, when the person moves their head or turns there is a faint image that follows the actual image and catches up. It happens on both the TV1 and TV2 connections and both RCA and S-Video.
I also received a response from tech support about the OTA signal being reprocessed. But have spoken with another Dish subscriber who does not have a DVR and he does not notice the ghosting on the same channels that I do.
I've also just sent an email to the dish quality address. Will see what they respond.
thanks.

WD40, if it's true ghosting (analog multipath reception or related problem), your digital receiver and its software will have nothing to do with it. When you mention that the ghost image "catches up", it does sound like maybe some other kind of issue though.

Dear Mr. S----,

Upon reviewing historical data on WPBT, it appears that the issue you mentioned is an apparent problem of interference perhaps due to the current location of our local facilities racks in the Miami area. As mentioned yesterday your issue was also forwarded to our Field Engineering team who indicated that they are presently doing site surveys in an effort to relocate our local racks to a better location. They could not give an exact ETA for the completion of this effort however they are aware of the problem and are taking actions to correct it in the near future.

Thank you,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

I wonder how many more weeks it will take to fix this local channel?? Anyway, they appear to have been aware of the problem . .

I just came up with an idea. . . Maybe Dish Network could use the feed from Direct TV network and then WPBT will come in fine. . no need for Dish to move their facilities! Can this be done??

Congrats to Dish Network! They fixed the problem in a matter of days . .

This static interference had been going on for several months, and affecting tens of thousands of subscribers in South Florida . .. yet no one complained or brought it to the attention of Dish!!!

Thanks for people here for giving me the proper channels for addressing the issue.!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)