Poor PQ What should I do

nupe009

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I was watching the NBA finals last night on my Samsung DLP and I was very dissapointed. I am glad that I didn’t invite people over. The game didn’t look like HD. Some of the close up shots were nice and crisp but full court in game action was poor. It looked better on my regular TV. I checked my signals and they were fine. The satellite was 97and the OTA antenna was 87. I wrote down the other numbers below those but I don’t have them nearby. Could the problem be due to the fact that I have diplexers. I also watched Cliff diving on TDCHD and it did not look as good as it did when I had watched it before on TW cable. I've only had VOOM for a month and I plan to evaluate it for 3 months before deciding if I want to keep it or go back to TW cable. TW has improved since I left. They now have 16 HD channels and HD DVR.

nupe009 said:
I was watching the NBA finals last night on my Samsung DLP and I was very dissapointed. I am glad that I didn’t invite people over. The game didn’t look like HD. Some of the close up shots were nice and crisp but full court in game action was poor. It looked better on my regular TV. I checked my signals and they were fine. The satellite was 97and the OTA antenna was 87. I wrote down the other numbers below those but I don’t have them nearby. Could the problem be due to the fact that I have diplexers. I also watched Cliff diving on TDCHD and it did not look as good as it did when I had watched it before on TW cable. I've only had VOOM for a month and I plan to evaluate it for 3 months before deciding if I want to keep it or go back to TW cable. TW has improved since I left. They now have 16 HD channels and HD DVR.

When you are watching a digital signal, any lack of sharpness, washed out look, etc cannot be a digital signal problem. If you have a signal problem such as attenuation caused by diplexors, the whole picture will go black, you will have pixelation (colored squares) or you will experience stutter. Degraded picture quality would have to be a problem on Voom's end (or with the originating source), or with your TV.

Are you absolutely sure you have the Voom receiver set to the highest resolution compatible with your TV? This is set by pushing the read button behind the door on the front of the receiver, and it steps you through the possible resolutions. When the topmost light bar on the receiver is lit, you have 1080i. Presuming that you know this and have already set it, then my next question is how channel 100 (HDNews) looks. If it looks good, then it is likely that the problem is on Voom's end or with the source they get it from.

Was the channel you were watching 1080i or 720P? If 1080i, then action shots will not look as good as you might expect, since 720P seems to work better for action shots.

NBA finals were on ABC OTA. To me it looked ok on both E* and D*. The same thing that I have been watching on ABC for the past year. Don't know what specific problem you had with your ABC affiliate.

The receiver is set for 720P which is my TVs native resolution. I've tried switching it to 1080i to see if ti made a difference. The channel was ABC OTA but Im nut sure what resolution the game was broadcast in. I recall reading that it was 720p from someone over in avsforum. I didnt experience pixelation but the PQ just didnt have the HD look unless it was a closep up shot of players on the bench or at halftime with the commentators. Even those shots didn't look to great at times. I'll keep watching and see how things turn out.

It looked very good in my area. Since this was OTA Voom has nothing much to do with it. As others said, it might be your local ABC station screwing the transmission.

First make sure you're really getting 720p and not 480p or 480i. Does your TV set have some kind of display that shows the current mode?

next try component cables instead of DVI.

Try watching discoveryhd or bravohd. If you still think they don't look good compared to TW, maybe TW just has better PQ.

(who are you going to believe, your eyes or us :)

Sometimes local broadcasters simply forget to flip the switch to HD mode. Sometimes I watch Jay Leno in SD, sometimes it comes in HD...

I am experiencing the same quality issue you are, nupe009. It happens if I view it through my HDTV OTA tuner or through the Voom OTA tuner. I think it's the production/camera quality of the camera that was shooting the full-court shots. It could also be each affiliate compressing the video as well.

ABC had all kinds of problems here with the last game. UGH. bad weather at the beginning. Poor quality feed to the afiliates as we can see from the posts and then on top of that my affiliates equipment crapped out for a day before they were off the air for 24 hrs they thought it was all broken even the redundant parts then it magically came back on thursday and was apparently on its way to the grave. the whole game jittered and stuttered. But it was watchable. GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!

Maybe your local affiliates have sold some of the bandwidth off to USDTV and theres nothing we can do about it? Enjoy the OTA HD now because it might not be around much longer.

The affifiates in my area multi-cast additional SD content a lot of times. When they do that, they have to lower the bit-rate on the HD content. The problem with VOOM's stb is that you can't tell if there is multi-casting going on because they typically only map the "primary subchannel ?-1". You would think the local affiliate would turn off multi-casting during an even like the NBA finals however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)