poor reception on 3rd set

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tomyo10

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
erie, pa
If TV2 is on, and I turn on TV3, the reception on that set is very snowy. If it's on by itself, it's fine. The cable runs are no more than 25 ft. (probably less)

So I am in the process of replacing the old cable (probably 25 years old) with new RG6 cable. My question is what kind of booster/splitter should I also get to make this right?

I am thinking of this one:

VIEWSONICS 4-WAY TV CABLE MODEM HDTV SIGNAL BOOSTER AMP - (eBay item 130151584257 end time Sep-14-07 17:22:06 PDT).

I have read where some people have up to 6 TV's running off one receiver with no problem. I would like 3, maybe 4.

Any suggestions?

RG59 should be fine for feeding TV2 and in this case TV3. The runs are only 25 ft. so there shouldn't be that much loss. I agree with Garys, try the amp first and see how it looks. A 10 db amp should be enough.

Another thing to look for are the splitters. What kind of spitters are you using? Is the loss -3.5 db per leg?

I really don't know what the loss is from the splitter. It was a cheap one, I'm sure.

(I just got a message from the seller for that one on EBay that it won't work with satellite.)

The cable's on the way, so I'll replace it anyway. I had hooked up a 4th TV, and even with no other TV on, I had no signal at all. That cable ran maybe 20 feet.

here's what an online company tells me:

"well....you can't really use a splitter.....you might try a multiswitch and then a home run to each tv...but that will require each tv to have it's own set top box. you would run the lnb connection into the multiswitch and then from that to each tv box."

You cannot use a splitter for satellite signals but you're not using satellite signals. You're using the Agile Modulated Output which carries UHF/VHF or CATV signals (5-900Mhz) for TV2.

How many legs or how many outputs does your current splitter has? I bet you that is your problem.

You cannot use a splitter for satellite signals but you're not using satellite signals. You're using the Agile Modulated Output which carries UHF/VHF or CATV signals (5-900Mhz) for TV2.

How many legs or how many outputs does your current splitter has? I bet you that is your problem.

It's a 4-way cheap splitter, with only 3 being used.

So do you think that one from EBay would work for me?

If TV2 is on, and I turn on TV3, the reception on that set is very snowy. If it's on by itself, it's fine. The cable runs are no more than 25 ft. (probably less)

So I am in the process of replacing the old cable (probably 25 years old) with new RG6 cable. My question is what kind of booster/splitter should I also get to make this right?

I am thinking of this one:

VIEWSONICS 4-WAY TV CABLE MODEM HDTV SIGNAL BOOSTER AMP - (eBay item 130151584257 end time Sep-14-07 17:22:06 PDT).

I have read where some people have up to 6 TV's running off one receiver with no problem. I would like 3, maybe 4.

Any suggestions?

Many issues involving TV2 output picture quality can be solved by using a different channel. Splitting to 3 or 4 TV's can be as simple as using good connections, a splitter, and a clean channel.

If you are using Air channels (Air 60), try the lower channels because they have the highest signal strength. Try 22 or 24 if they are not occupied.

If you are using Cable channels (Cable 73) try moving up slowly to find a clean channel. Cable 80 cleans up a signal sent through a modulator.

The wire is probably fine, replace the fittings, and get a decent splitter-it doesn't need to be expensive.

TV2 Tips & Tricks

Make sure that your ends on the cable are good. They should look like a full glass of milk, not half empty. Also make sure that the stranded shield does not come in contact with the center conductor.

The tv2 output on a dual tuner should have no problem running as many as 4 tv's. Use the lowest possible channel either 21 Air or 73 Cable. Make sure you don't have open ports on the splitter as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)