Poor sales of Hi Def DVDs/poor near term prospects/DOA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
From USA Today:

"USA Today: HDTV DVD War Is Stalemate
Neither Sony and Toshiba have captured the consumer's imagination, says the newspaper.

The new HDTV DVDs have not "made much of an impact on the market."

That's the conclusion of an article in today's edition of USA Today.

The newspaper reports that fewer than 5,000 High-Definition DVD players have been sold since their launch last spring.

However, the newspaper writes that industry analysts are surprised that Toshiba's HD-DVD has matched Sony's Blu-ray for picture quality.

"Both formats are very equal," Ron Sanders of Warner Home Video tells USA Today. (Warner is releasing movies on both formats.) "We wish there were one format. That would make consumers' options easier." "

And from Phillip Swan:

"The new High-Definition DVD market will be "small" at least for the next year, according to Panasonic President Martin Kono.

Many consumers are reluctant to buy the new players due to fears one could be driven out of business by the other.

Kono's comment is more evidence that the industry has concluded that the HDTV DVD industry is DOA. And unless Sony and Toshiba settle the format war, that may not change."

"has matched" - Hmmmm.
DOA??? Hardly.

navychop said:
From USA Today:

The newspaper reports that fewer than 5,000 High-Definition DVD players have been sold since their launch last spring.

And I heard from another newspaper that HD-DVD has sold 30k units since launch and Blue Ray had sold 5k....

Umm. Help me out. which one is it.

ammer said:
And I heard from another newspaper that HD-DVD has sold 30k units since launch and Blue Ray had sold 5k....

Umm. Help me out. which one is it.

I don't know, but USA Today's claim that less than 5000 HD DVD players have sold can't be right. The initial shipment of the players was supposed to be around 6000. Those sold out almost immediately, and there have been two or three more shipments since then.

navychop said:
However, the newspaper writes that industry analysts are surprised that Toshiba's HD-DVD has matched Sony's Blu-ray for picture quality.

"Both formats are very equal,"

Well this bologna should tell you how uninformed USA today is.:rolleyes:

Actually both formats in their current form

vurbano said:
Well this bologna should tell you how uninformed USA today is.:rolleyes:

Actually both formats in their current form appear to be DOA here. I chatted with the salesman at magnolia that sold me my HT system last year about the future of High def DVD...His response was that neither was doing well at the local store and that my initial observations appeared correct. He also said that the Pioneer elite 59i (last years top of the line) was almost as crisp and vibrant in its upconversion mode as the current Hd formats....he was quite pessimistic and I believe knows his stuff.

He also said the in order to capture market share, prices would be about $199! Just as i suspected...the value just is not there and neither format jumps out at me. In fact BR is a total waste of time at the moment...HD-DVD is at least better but still not worth the upgrade if you currently have HQ DVD upconversion and a good HdTV!

To make it worse...introduction has taken place as people find their "wealth" in their homes slipping away...they are belt tightening in this country and I live in a pretty upscale middle class area! hell...on every other corner is an SUV or BUT (Big Ugly truck) gas guzzler...for sale by owner parked in the driveways...some within 2 yrs old too!

Last edited:
I think things will start to heat up when XBOX and Playstation 3 come out and fuel the format war.

Yes, I wonder if the PS3 will have a lot of effect. Sony will have to have better product on the market by then- both players and movies. People may get a PS3, try a BD movie or two, and if they like it, get a separate player. I don't see $1,000 players as mass market any time soon.

If the economy continues to decline, this format war will continue for years. Either way, I doubt it'll be settled this year.

The numbers are still "small" for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, regardless of the bumbling initial release of Blu-Ray players, etc. Neither format is going to take off en masse until these players are sub-$200. I'm willing to wait 12-24 months and pick one of these 3rd generation players up for $169.99 from the local BB or CC.

I just dont see that that price point happening for many years. Just think of the hardware you would have to buy to upgrade a PC to do the same job. The HDCP graphics card alone is going to put you over the 200 dollar mark. Then the 5.1 TrueHD sound, HDMI out, ethernet, processor, HDDVD drive. IMO its not a bad but now at 400 bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts