Pop-up message: “The EHD will need to be formatted and all information will be lost”

Just explain to them that one of the three receivers has a different household key. And yes, that is what the household key is about. Right now, the one with the odd number is reporting it's not in your household. Make sure you have those numbers handy when you call.

Wow, wonder how that happened! The EHD is working good on it and I have never moved it. It is the same DVR when I called Dish to activate the EHD. I will call them. Thanks again for your help.

Wow, wonder how that happened! The EHD is working good on it and I have never moved it. It is the same DVR when I called Dish to activate the EHD. I will call them. Thanks again for your help.
It also could be the other way around (the keys). Make sure you tell them the key for the receiver(s) that work correctly.

There has been another report of the last digit of the key being different. You might as well try moving the drive and see if there is a problem. Just be sure to select NO if you are asked to reformat.

There could be risks with the "hit" (lost HDD access). You'll have to make the call if it's worth it.

There has been another report of the last digit of the key being different. You might as well try moving the drive and see if there is a problem. Just be sure to select NO if you are asked to reformat.

There could be risks with the "hit" (lost HDD access). You'll have to make the call if it's worth it.

OK, I moved the EHD from a 722 to another 722 and it works perfect. I played some things and now archiving some things to it. I never did get a pop up of any kind. It just works the same as if it never was moved. I moved it from key #1864 to key #1866. I don't guess there is any need to call Dish. The EHD is a Western Digital My Book Essential Model #WD5000C032 (with round front indicator) 500G

OK, I moved the EHD from a 722 to another 722 and it works perfect. I played some things and now archiving some things to it. I never did get a pop up of any kind. It just works the same as if it never was moved. I moved it from key #1864 to key #1866. I don't guess there is any need to call Dish. The EHD is a Western Digital My Book Essential Model #WD5000C032 (with round front indicator) 500G
That's great. Glad to hear it.:up

That's great. Glad to hear it.:up

Yep, me too. Now I think I will get me the same EHD except a 1tb. And hope all the cables are the same so it would be easy to move them around if need be. Just unplug from the back of the EHD. However, I don't really plan on moving them unless really needed. I think it is best to leave them alone. LOL

Yep, me too. Now I think I will get me the same EHD except a 1tb. And hope all the cables are the same so it would be easy to move them around if need be. Just unplug from the back of the EHD. However, I don't really plan on moving them unless really needed. I think it is best to leave them alone. LOL

Just my 2 cents. Bigger is not better in this application. Let's say you have all your content on a 1T drive as opposed to several smaller drives. Something goes wrong and you lose EVERYTHING as opposed to 33%-50%.

Just my 2 cents. Bigger is not better in this application. Let's say you have all your content on a 1T drive as opposed to several smaller drives. Something goes wrong and you lose EVERYTHING as opposed to 33%-50%.

Understand what you are saying. I might get a 500g then. We really hardly save that much to be honest with you. We have no movies on the EHD. Just odds and ends I want to save for a while. The wife and I keep up pretty much with the timers. Lets say I got a 750g or 1T. That wouldn't be a problem switching the EHDs around if needed would it? Being of different sizes is what I am thinking that might upset the DVRs. What do you think?

I still see a need to call dish. I am pretty sure that your two receivers need to have the same key number. Make careful note of the both key numbers exactly, and have them send a hit to the one that's "not" working so that they will be the correct number.

Once this is done, you should be able to move a EHD between both receivers unhindered. In the meantime, if you were to initialize a new drive on the "bad" receiver you wouldn't be able to move it to the "good" one.

I still see a need to call dish. I am pretty sure that your two receivers need to have the same key number. Make careful note of the both key numbers exactly, and have them send a hit to the one that's "not" working so that they will be the correct number.

Once this is done, you should be able to move a EHD between both receivers unhindered. In the meantime, if you were to initialize a new drive on the "bad" receiver you wouldn't be able to move it to the "good" one.

But Pepper, the EHD works perfect on both 722s that have different key numbers.
I have one 722 that is key number 1864 and two 722s that are key number 1866. The EHD was initially on 722 key 1864 when I first installed it and called Dish to get it going. I have never moved it till today. I moved it from 722 key 1864 to another 722 key 1866 and it worked perfect. I have never tried out the EHD on my third 722. So you think I should still call Dish? What will they do? Will they send a hit to all three 722s with a same key number or something? Thanks for your help

ok, well first let me admit that I'm not privy to the technical details. Do some experimenting, what I said applies if you move the EHD to any of your three boxes and get the error popup. What's the key number on the third one?

ok, well first let me admit that I'm not privy to the technical details. Do some experimenting, what I said applies if you move the EHD to any of your three boxes and get the error popup. What's the key number on the third one?

I could go ahead and call them if you think I should. I was surprised when I moved the EHD to the other 722. I figured something would happen but it worked perfect. The only thing that did happen that was strange was after I turned on the EHD and the 722 it went into a acquiring satellite signal procedure for some reason. When it got done everything worked good including the EHD.

One 722 is 1864
Two 722s are 1866

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yep, I kinda feel the same way. Will see how it goes when I get another EHD. Thanks again for all the help from everyone. I learned what the Household Key number is used for in the counters. Wish there was a way to find out what all the counters info means.

If it's working on all your receivers, I concur, it ain't broke. :)
I just wonder why it is working OK since the household keys were different numbers! One is 1864 and the other is 1866. I have another EHD on order. Should be here in a week or so. I will be installing it at the 1864 position and see what it does.

There has been another report of the last digit of the key being different. You might as well try moving the drive and see if there is a problem. Just be sure to select NO if you are asked to reformat.There could be risks with the "hit" (lost HDD access). You'll have to make the call if it's worth it.
What do you think David_Levin about the different household key numbers? Have you heard of anybody else with different key numbers and the EHDs still working? Maybe they have to be within so many digits or something. Thanks for suggesting to give it a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)