Popcorn Hour BD network playback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well I have been working with my new toy for a couple weeks now. It is very useful.

Welcome To Popcorn Hour

It is the C-200 model, $299, $311 with IR remote.

What I like about it best is that I can rip a BD to an ISO using anydvd then watch it on the popcornhour machine with full menu support. That is right, it plays it just like a real BD (you can put a BD drive in the machine too and play them that way too). The functions are not quite as fast as the PS3. A BD takes anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds to load depending on the BD.

To do network BD playing you pretty much have to use hardwired ethernet, 50mbit/sec peaks just is not friendly with wifi. I tried the wifi option, and I would not buy it again ($50 option). Too often using the wifi there would be stops and studdering. It does not really buffer ahead. It would probably work for DVD playback though.

I did get the IR remote option for $12, needed for an universal remote control. You plug the remote dongle into a port on the unit and it has a cable so you can receive outside the cabinet. It also comes with an IR remote (UHF also comes standard with the unit).

The unit takes 10 days to come in. It ships direct from mainland China. It comes in a box with an outer shipping wrapper. Unfortunately it means you have to sign for it since the post office require signature on international shipments. They do send you a notice when it ships (they ship once a week). They include an DHL tracking number which works great until it gets turned over to the USPS for final delivery (you can see it go through China, to Hong Kong, to the US on DHL).

You have to add your own hard drive. It does not need a big one, unless you want to store content on it. You can use either 2.5" or 3.5". If you use 3.5" you cannot put in a BD drive. I used an old 2.5" notebook drive I had lying around. It needs the space for BD playback. You can also add a BD drive if you want to play BDs directly on the unit. As an option you can use an USB memory stick, they recommend a 4GB one for software and BDLive! support.

You can copy media files to the internal drive if you want to store/playback from the unit directly. I use a NAS raid for my media. You can give it login names and passwords for your windows machines or NAS so it can use the shared folders.

The box has amazing functionality. It can play every media file I have tried. It can even download Usenet and bit torrents. Spec sheet (Welcome To Popcorn Hour) Look at the vast array of video and audio handling. It also passes through the lossless BD formats over HDMI. Again, just like a BD player.

BD support is in both ISO and directory format. Both play like you put the BD rom into the BD drive and hit play. I have been busy ripping my BDs with anydvd and just putting an .ISO file on my NAS for each BD. I can just navigate on the popcornhour to the movie I want and hit play. It works great that anydvd has removed all the restrictions and one can just skip past all the FBI warnings.

My current project of course is to transfer all my BDs to my NAS. It is time consuming. I am putting in all the new BDs I buy right away, and have been slowly working on the rest of my collection. It is much easier to be in the dark to select the BD I want to watch from the Popcorn Hour menu than to change out BDs. I am considering ordering another BD drive for my other computer to speed up the transfer process. Today I got in 5 movies and 3 seasons of a show. A lot of discs to transfer.

I included a couple pictures. One is of the inside. Essentially it is a system on a chip. There are no fans inside, if you use a flash drive it will remain silent. I recommend a 2.5 over 3.5 for noise reasons. The blurry one is the unit with the remotes. Across the top is the box of wifi antennas, the IR dongle/remote and the UHF remote. Note the IR one is silver the UHF one black.

The unit also has an LCD display on the front. It is backlit blue. It tells you what is going on. You can turn it off if you wish.

Attachments

• P1000851.JPG
    P1000851.JPG
    828.9 KB · Views: 427
  • P1000850.JPG
    P1000850.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
Sounds like a great box! At one time I had kinda the same setup going with 3 original XBox's and a DVD media server. It was nice to be able to select the DVD from the server and hit play. I've been waiting for someone to do it for Blu-Rays.

The double layer BDs are taking about 40 minutes to transfer. It is going to be a long process. It is a simple process to start, then come back later or keep feeding as I work in the office. I probably have 200 BDs to transfer, this is going to take a long while. I also need to test out HDDVDs.

Yeah interesting, it can see the video of the HDDVD but not the audio. I ran a test one through ClownBD. While it works, I think I might have to investigate the red2blu program. Probably worth it to get full support of menus and extras.

Well more time on the popcornhour (PCH). It is just so nice as a network BD playing solution. It probably could use a processor upgrade, it is sluggish on the popup menus (I am probably just spoiled by the PS3). Perhaps the next version will be speedier, but some of the speed issues of course are addressed by anydvd. Anydvd lets you skip past all the FBI warnings, so actual picking of movie to play time is probably faster than the PS3.

On HDDVDs, clownbd does work. I get a playable file, but the PCH is limited when it comes to file playback:

1. No pass through at this time of HD audio, it converts all to PCM on files. If you want the HD audio to pass through you have to play .ISOs

2. No reverse, you can fast forward, but cannot back up. You can jump using the 0-9 keys where 0 is 0% in, 1 is 10% in ... 9 is 90% in.

Of course when you are playing BD ISOs you get backup, single frame, everything you expect.

So, I am probably going to break down and spend the $5 each and send in at least all my warner HDDVDs and get the BD version to rip.

Another note is that the average BD seems to be around 40 -45 GB. Given that the 2TB drives I am using are around $130 it works out to about $2.50 per BD to store on disk plus the cost of the NAS and raid 6 overhead, so it probably works out to about $4.

I really need 3TB disks to be released. I am running 10TB RAID 6 ATM. It would lower the NAS overhead 50%.

You can shrink the files with little noticeable loss of PQ with BDRebuilder... ffwd & rwd work fine with the WDTV on the HD DVD Files, if the popcorn supports chapters, try running the converted file back through TSMuxer GUI and add chapters.

You can shrink the files with little noticeable loss of PQ with BDRebuilder... ffwd & rwd work fine with the WDTV on the HD DVD Files, if the popcorn supports chapters, try running the converted file back through TSMuxer GUI and add chapters.

I will probably have to investigate how to do all that and produce a BD ISO. I also have Adobe CS4, and could probably produce a full BD ISO.

Well 75 discs into the transfer. So far so good. I decided to add a fan to the PCH (60MM very quite one) since summer is here and I am worried that it will get too hot.

I also discovered there is a custom zoom you can +- in 1% increments the image to pretty much any size you want.

I noticed when I took apart the unit to put the fan in that the 3.5" drive bay is a screwless hot plug item. You pull a lever and the drive is pushed out of the unit. You can slide a drive in and lock it in by pushing the lever back. The unit also can be a file server. So, you can put in a 3.5" hard drive and access it from your PC to rip all the movies to the drive. You can then just have a stack of 3.5" drives to swap out of the unit if you do not want to have a central NAS server.

I might also mention that I was bitten by a slysoft "issue", which of course is just user error, as all slysoft "issues" are. Essentially there is an interaction between BD Live and region coding. I had to rerip some discs because anydvd did not remove the region coding because it was hiding. Essentially I just set anydvd to assume every disc is Region A instead of the automatic setting. BDLive is disabled by anydvd by default when removing region codes. There are instructions on the slysoft web site on how to turn on BD Live and keep the region coding at bay. I have not tried them, I used BD Live a couple times and have never gone back to it. So, all my ISOs do not have the BDLive feature.

A week or so ago was the first time I've visited BD Live since I got my first player... nothing there for me ;) transferring Movies from 1 drive to another right now I got from my Hauppauge box... making a 1.5 TB TV drive and a 1.5 Movie drive (have a 1 TB full of just Movies also)

I noticed when I took apart the unit to put the fan in that the 3.5" drive bay is a screwless hot plug item.
I'd be careful with that...

Not every SATA (I presume) drive in hot-swap. And that means you would have to reboot.
I never had this issue, but some claim trying to hot-swap a non-hot-swap drive is asking for trouble.

Bottom line: Shut down, plug in, turn on - would be the safest course of action.

Diogen.

Interesting that you mentioned that, PCH just released new firmware today for hot plugging SATA drives instead of having to turn the unit off to have them recognised.

Also in the firmware notes they say they will have pass through of HD audio out of files next release (right now have to have BD ISOs).

On another note, I have just been working on a new feature:

Yet Another Movie Jukebox http://mediaplayersite.com/ with instructions for PCH here: START HERE: How to install YAMJ

What this software does is build a web interface to all your movie files. If you have named the files something reasonable that it can look up the name it will get the right name. If you follow a format specified it will get the right name every time, or you can make a .nfo file with the same file name (iso changed to nso) and put the link to the imdb movie page in it.

You then just click on index.html via the Popcorn Hour remote. You then get a screen full of cover art that you can scroll through to pick your movie, it has the option of picking by genre or title. When you select one it goes to a single page with a closeup of the case art, a description, rating, actor, studio, etc. You can hit the play button by pressing select again. When you are done watching the movie you come back to the description page. You can then go back to the index.

It is a lot better than file names. It has 10 covers per screen. You can also pick the first letter of the movie and it will jump to there and show movies covers from there forward.

Another nice thing about it is that it generates all html files (along with the needed jpgs, etc). They just sit on the file server, the PCH just runs the web files itself. I just run the software on the PC to rebuild the html/index files after ripping more movies. It is smart enough to just see what has changed and update just the right files. Then the PC is out of the picture.

Interesting that you mentioned that, PCH just released new firmware today for hot plugging SATA drives instead of having to turn the unit off to have them recognised.
I still believe there are two parts to this: hard drive being hot-swap and host (PCH) being capable.
I think the firmware upgrade deals only with the host.

Here is a good example: Dell PowerEdge 2900.
It has a SAS backplane. But SATA drives can be used with an interposer card.
All SAS drives are hot-swap. And you can buy hot-swap SATA drives from Dell.

But if you want to use the cheap 1TB consumer drives (less than half what Dell charges for theirs),
the box won't see them until you reboot. Can be a PITA if you run ESXi with 4 servers...

Diogen.

Well I do not intend to use the hot plug feature, I have all my stuff on NAS. It only takes a minute for the box to reboot, so turning off just in case is not bad for an occassional drive insertion.

Yeah interesting, it can see the video of the HDDVD but not the audio. I ran a test one through ClownBD. While it works, I think I might have to investigate the red2blu program. Probably worth it to get full support of menus and extras.
I've been running them through, but grabbing the audio & video streams from demux folder with tsMuxeR GUI and using it with great results...

I've been running them through, but grabbing the audio & video streams from demux folder with tsMuxeR GUI and using it with great results...

The only real issue is that it is time consuming to do all the conversions. Yeah I probably only have about 70-75 HD DVDs to convert. Which was why I was thinking of at least red2blu for the Warner ones. Ripping is something I can just feed in and leave and come back an hour later and feed another. Making nice stuff manually will take more time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)