Popcorn Hour BD network playback

I notice WD has hard drives with an eth port and nothing else, you just plug them into your router. For a popcorn to see that and play off it, would I need some sort of PC running twonky or something like that? This is a requirement of the Oppo to run things off a network. My problem is, we both only have laptops, and they are RARELY on.

I prob need to register at their site and ask. If I could buy some of those RAID World Edition my books and just connect them to my router, that'd be awesome. I could tranfer ISO wirelessly from my laptop to the My Book on the network. My other problem is I have powerline adapters on ethernet, so can the PCH even play HD Blu over ethernet like that...

Pretty cool. I have one concern though. Storing ISO's on HDD's is a risky gamble, no? I mean what do you do when a 2tB drive fails with 60 movies on it? Wouldn't making copies vis BD-R make more sense long term? I know it's not as easy because you have all these xtra discs and have to manually put them in, but...

Since I only make copies of BD's I own, I can recreate my 15TB collection if need be. But I have it on 2 Raid 6 NASs (one TV series one Movies). So, I can have 2 drives fail on each NAS before data loss. Hopefully I will be able to replace the drives and rebuild the arrays before a 3rd drive fails.

Since I only make copies of BD's I own, I can recreate my 15TB collection if need be. But I have it on 2 Raid 6 NASs (one TV series one Movies). So, I can have 2 drives fail on each NAS before data loss. Hopefully I will be able to replace the drives and rebuild the arrays before a 3rd drive fails.

Yes, but it does cost more per unit storage. Nothing wrong with that, and 2TB drives are (frankly) getting pretty cheap.

I run RAID-5, and I have SMTP traps and errors coming to my e-mail that i look at daily. Nothing high-end, it's a ReadyNAS but it works just fine. When the 4TB drives get cheap I'll probably upgrade them in series :)

What's the cheapest way to jump into a large raid setup like that?

DL blus are about $7 a pc.

Depends on if you want easy. Or if you like to tinker.

I wanted easy, compact, and less power draw than a PC running FreeNAS. I didn't have room for a full blown pc anyways in my network closet. I went with a drobo-fs. I have 5 2TB drives in it. Dual redundancy mode since I don't need all that space yet. I backup to it, friends and family have their pcs backing up to it, all my OTA recordings go to it from my dual tuner HDHomeRun. I also store my bluray stuff on it but I handbrake all my blurays and dvds down to MKVs of just the movie. I don't have the patience for menus, clips, and logos on movies so I cut it down to bare bones.

If I had it to do all over again I would have bought a Synology NAS instead of Drobo. Don't get me wrong though..I love my little drobo!

I've been observing a malfunction pattern all week on the PCH A210. It runs very hot. After a period of time it will stop recognizing large ISO files and fail to play. Some of the apps online video content fails as well. I have to pull the power cable out for about 2 minutes and then power it back up and all is fine again. I will probably pull the top cover off to let the PCH vent. It that still doesn't do it, I will be cutting up the case and venting it plus adding a fan to blow air through it. I never like it when electronics runs so hot. There's instructions in the manual on how to add a fan but it looks like those instructions were written by someone who has never seen a fan nor the PCH.

Jason- I finally got to test a USB drive with some iso files on it connected to the OPPO 93 and it does play them fine. I used an older double 1Tb drive total capacity is 2Tb. Too bad it doesn't see iso's on the network. Otherwise it performs as well as the PCH with full BD menu and control just like a BD was plugged in. I also tested a 3D iso file that I rendered and made from Vegas. It also plays fine in 3D and auto switches the monitor into 3D mode.

Got mine last night, but didn't have time to set it up. Probably won't have time until next week.

I'm debating between the popcorn hour c200 and another dune player. I have homework to do on this.

I'm not dissatisfied with the dune but I am a geek who loves his electronic gadgets.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I'm debating between the popcorn hour c200 and another dune player. I have homework to do on this.

I'm not dissatisfied with the dune but I am a geek who loves his electronic gadgets.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

What's a dune player? I'm using a Boxee Box right now and have been thinking of getting something else for the backroom. I've enjoyed the Boxee Box so far especially with its ability to put all my movies in a tile like format with all the movie info. Makes it easy for the wife and kids to pick what show they want. Plus it plays Netflix and Vudu and few other things. But I mostly use it for playing MKV'd movies and TP files from the HDHomeRun tuner.

Do you know if there are any videos or screenshots of this dune player in action?

digiblur:

The website is here.

The Dune and the Popcorn Hour are the two I am "locked on" as they support all the features I need, i.e. .iso playback, blu-ray directory structure playback, decoding of all formats to PCM, Multi-channel FLAC etc.

I did a "big rip" in April, ripping all my HD-DVD, DVD-Audio and Concert discs to a NAS and the PH and Dune fit my personal needs.

I like that I can add my own Blu-ray to the Popcorn Hour and the price for both solutions is comparable. I'd like them to be $100 cheaper but they aren't absurd.

Someone want to give me a quick and dirty on how to setup my box so I can see my shared drives on the network?

There is one thing to remember if the PC sharing the drive runs Win7: disable passwords.
Right click Network, Properties, Advanced sharing settings.
Turn off Password protected sharing (second last).

The rest is just as XP.

Diogen.

Ok, I did that and my shares show up now, but the drive I have all my videos on just gives an error and won't show. It says "Request cannot be processed"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)