Possessed Receiver

bw820

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Evansville, IN
Today I went out on a service call and the work order said that the customer was having problems on tv2. The receiver was a 322 and the customer told me that while watching on tv2(backfeed) that the channels would change on it's own. I noticed that the neighbors had recently had Dish installed, so I went over and talked to them. I shut down their receiver and went next door and changed their remote IP address to 2. Went back to the neighbors and made sure that all was working fine. After thinking that I had fixed the problem, I was about to leave and the customers tv started doing it again. I noticed that it changed very quickly and even went directly to the Dish home page without even loading it up. It was like it was possessed! I changed out the receiver and all was well, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with 322 receivers changing channels without any other interfernence from a second 322? I have been on many trouble calls and seen a lot but that was the first time I had ever seen a receiver do that.

anyone else have dishnetwork close by? i had one person three houses down and we where changing each others channels until i switched my remote address. there is a thread by scott that will give some hidden remote addresses.

Yeah, I am sure though that thier remotes are on different IP addresses. I drove around the block and didn't see any other Dishes. I was just curious to see how often this happens. Thanks for the feedback.

Is this similar or related to the problem of non-ordered PPV's?

I wonder how a CSR would respond to the excuse of a posessed receiver??? :no

But seriously, what is the range of E* UHF remotes? There's one guy in the next building over with an E* dish, but I think his apartments is far enough away to avoid interference... I'll know for sure after I'm installed...

This could be the cause of some non-ordered PPV's but I know that it is not the cause for all the non-ordered PPV issues because some secluded houses out in the country has had these issues as well.

The range of the legacy UHF remotes to those receivers that are mostly single tuner receivers with one tv output is up to 100 feet. The range of the UHF PRO remotes that come with the DishPro Plus receivers such as 322 and 522 with two tv outputs are up to 200 feet. If someone does some modifications or has some other special device to extend the range then this could increase the liklihood of such problems.

And how many installers leave the remotes to ID #1? Mine did. I think it should be a priority to change to a random number. Now it does make a crable for the book to find "how did I change that" when the receiver or remote forgets its ID, like my 811 did last week in a storm. Prior to changing, one remote would change all TV's and add the neighbor to the mix, it was a mess.

I also have this problem with the TV2 on my 322. I thought it might be the remote sharing the same freq. with my neighbor (who also has dish). but I did not know how to change it. I found the thread that korsjs was talking about and I will change it tonight.

Thx for your help!

I don't think the remote is your problem. I just recently had a 522 installed and my tv2 was doing the same thing. I changed from dual mode to single mode and the reciever started changing channels on tv1. It was also randomly recording things on my DVR, I woke up one morning and it had set a DVR event to record all "Paid Programming" so I had something like 15 hours of infomercials recorded. It only did all this for about 2 days and now everything seems to be working normal, but yeah, for those couple of days I thought my reciever had a ghost in it.

If it comes with a random code then it should be labelled on that remote (or particularly the receiver) what that random code is so that the consumer will know what the code is in case that remote goes bad or if the code is lost in the remote and that same code would need to be placed in the new remote or that same one again.

If a customer has DHA promo with 322 and 522 I code them this way - 322 tuner 1 #1, 322 tuner 2 #2, 522 tuner 1 #3, 522 tuner 2 #4.

I was talking with some other techs and my supervisor said that it is possible that a HAM radio operator or radar detector could be causing that problem. I am going to call customer tomorrow to see if it is still doing it. Thanks for the feedback.

I had my 522 swapped out about two weeks ago and this started. I changed the remote address from 1 to 5 and it still occurs. I've also changed the TV2 channel a couple of times. No relief. I hoped it would disappear with L233 - but no luck there either.

Oh well...it's Dish :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)