Possibility of new HD-only receiver soon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
As much as I hate the hopper, I would stay away from the 922. Pure garbage. I had one at one point trying to upgrade from a 722 and ended up going back to the 722.

Oh, what nonsense, I have been using a 922 since last February and I am currently on my only 5th replacement. It works just fine until it doesn't... Plus, Dish is very good at getting you a replacement within two or three days!

I don't think we will see an HD only receiver from DISH, but it would not surprise me to see a next generation Hopper released at CES. But I am scratching my head wondering what more then can add to it?!

Its got just about everything but the kitchen sink!

But I am scratching my head wondering what more then can add to it?!
A simple update would be a larger HDD, but aren't they pushing the limit of affordable drives ? Just looked at Newegg - 4gb HDDs are available for desktops ! Geez... Not to mention, promoting "space for 4000 hours of recordings" is likely to elicit responses like "who has that much recorded ?" from even the most hard-core TV watcher !

What does the competition have ? And I mean on the hardware side.... Faster CPU and more RAM never hurts... Many things on the software side, Dish could add to the original Hopper and Hopper w/Sling, without (supposedly) requiring new hardware.

ABC would have a cow if the Hopper was given more recording storage ;)

If DISH really wanted to tick ABC off ... they would let PTAT keep a month of programming versus the current 2 weeks.

Anyway ...

The current Hopper is really great.

About the only think missing perhaps is wireless AC ... maybe another tuner ... maybe built in OTA.

A simple update would be a larger HDD, but aren't they pushing the limit of affordable drives ? Just looked at Newegg - 4gb HDDs are available for desktops ! Geez... Not to mention, promoting "space for 4000 hours of recordings" is likely to elicit responses like "who has that much recorded ?" from even the most hard-core TV watcher !
How many people have even got close to filling their 2 TB drives yet?

Most other companies don't even have a 500 GB drive in them.

I would hope very few ! Part of my reason for not storing too much is that you can lose it too easily.... (EHDs fail too)

I wasn't suggesting they should put in larger HDDs either -- just throwing out one (easy) idea.

... maybe another tuner ... maybe built in OTA.
We've gotten hints that the current number of tuners isn't likely to change. It works for the vast majority of Dish customers (forget people who frequent these forums). Same thing applies to OTA tuners. Dish has been removing them from receivers for a number of years now, from making them modular plug-in devices to the now external dongle version. Dish knows how many customers requested or bought the modules, either the plug-in or USB variety. They also can pull data from the receivers showing the amount of OTA viewing done by customers. Those numbers are not enough for Dish to justify having them built-in.

I don't think we will see an HD only receiver from DISH, but it would not surprise me to see a next generation Hopper released at CES. But I am scratching my head wondering what more then can add to it?!

Its got just about everything but the kitchen sink!

Lets see....more tuners,larger hdd,autohop on more channels.larger fonts.:D And I don't even own a hopper.

I filled the drives on both of my Hoppers a while ago. I actually spent some time last night deleting a bunch of different shows. Most of my drives are full of cartoon series for my son and movies.

Nothing against the OP but does anyone else find it odd that he says "eye candy" is important but having a DVR is not. I just found it funny.

They will most likely increase the recording capacity, dont think they would go with a SSD (Solid State Drive) just yet although that would decrease the size. Not sure if they would be capable of longivity and so forth that the regular hard drives are capable of. I would think that they would have add-ons for more tuners via usb port for the satellite. They could have options for PTA for other stations by having additional tuners. Maybe some more powerful processors for more computing capabilities?

Actually, and I don't think this is coming, RAID support for the internal drive would be nice. Much less likely you would lose recordings. But I guess that would open pirating. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well I have 5*2TB + 1*1.5TB + 4*.75TB. I have taken a .75 for computer backups and the newest 2TB still has some space.
That's ~3000 movies, documentaries, etc. and about 2400 of 2700 (near) current series episodes mostly caught in reruns.
No brag, just very far behind. -Ken
P.S. forgot half of the usable 1200GB Hopper.

You can't possibly plan to watch all of that, do you? I'm guessing it's recorded "for rainy days"?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)