Possible bad IR receiver on VIP722K

sandmannn69

Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Arizona
Hi,

Just got back to Dish Network after a few years with Cox cable. My system setup consists of 1000.2 antenna into VIP722K receiver. Using TV1 thru HDMI output to living room HDTV, sending TV2 to son's bedroom for SDTV. Also sending composite video/audio (TV1) to my bedroom for another SDTV when not watching in living room. My son has the UHF remote in his bedroom , and I use the IR remote thru a IR remote extender to control the receiver when watching in my bedroom.

Now, here's the problem. The IR remote control intermittently fails to work on the satellite receiver when watching in the living room (no obstructions, batteries good, re-learning the remote only helps temporarily). When I'm watching in my bedroom, using the remote thru the extender, it always works fine. I think the IR receiver on the satellite may be bad or drifting. The remote can't be bad, cause it works thru the extender. The relay transmitter on the extender is probably boosting and cleaning up the signal, which would explain why it works better than just the original IR remote signal going straight in (living room)

Anybody else had this problem? I think I need a receiver replacement.

Lcd interferes with the ir remote control when you first turn on the tv. I have this problem every morning until the tv heats up. I have a 42" toshiba lcd tv. Others on this board have had this problem as well. This doesn't effect my older 722 remote control for tv 1 or tv 2. I use a 722 uhf remote control on my second tv in the computer room and it can control the 722k receiver just fine. I sometimes take it into my living room in the morning to control the receiver while the tv heats up. It is a real pain in the ass, but you learn to live with it. The only other way to fix it right away is to hit red button reboot. But I don't like to do that if I am recording something.

Lcd interferes with the ir remote control when you first turn on the tv. I have this problem every morning until the tv heats up. I have a 42" toshiba lcd tv. Others on this board have had this problem as well. This doesn't effect my older 722 remote control for tv 1 or tv 2. I use a 722 uhf remote control on my second tv in the computer room and it can control the 722k receiver just fine. I sometimes take it into my living room in the morning to control the receiver while the tv heats up. It is a real pain in the ass, but you learn to live with it. The only other way to fix it right away is to hit red button reboot. But I don't like to do that if I am recording something.

Thanks for the great info!

Another solution would be to pick up another 21.0 remote, flip the plastic "key" over to "1" and control TV1 via UHF in the living room. Your IR solution will still work in the bedroom. OR, you can just take the new 21.0 back and forth. TV1 will now be IR/UHF.

Ed

Another solution is to put 2 or 3 layers of ivory masking tape over the IR ports on the receiver. They will attenuate the IR noise enough so that the receiver can "see" the remote signals. Ugly looking fix, but it works for me.

Had the same problem with a Toshiba TV and the 722k. Remote stops working after an extended period of use. Found that switching the TV picture mode made the remote work, ie, switching from Autoview to Sports.

Another solution would be to pick up another 21.0 remote, flip the plastic "key" over to "1" and control TV1 via UHF in the living room. Your IR solution will still work in the bedroom. OR, you can just take the new 21.0 back and forth. TV1 will now be IR/UHF.

Ed

What is the plastic "key" you're referring to? Can I change my current configuration so that my UHF remote controls TV1 and the IR remote controls TV2? Nothing in the manual about how to do that or if its even possible.

I tried something that I read else where to fix the problem. On the Toshiba picture controls there is something called Dynalight. I turned it off and I haven't had any interference with my remote control. It might also be called auto control , but the main function is th adjust the pic controls to adjust with the amount of light in the room. So if you have this control feature ,turn it off and see if you can work your tv 1 ir remote control without problems.

What is the plastic "key" you're referring to? Can I change my current configuration so that my UHF remote controls TV1 and the IR remote controls TV2? Nothing in the manual about how to do that or if its even possible.

OK, I figured it out. Guess you can't remove the key on the IR remote. My only choice is to order another UHF remote. I'll try turning off the Dynalight first on the Toshiba, MikeD had some success with this.

OK, I figured it out. Guess you can't remove the key on the IR remote. My only choice is to order another UHF remote. I'll try turning off the Dynalight first on the Toshiba, MikeD had some success with this.

Correct, no "key/chip/whatever" on the IR remote. I ordered my 21.0's directly from Dish when they 1st came out. $19.99 + $5.XX shipping, had 'em in 3 days. I've seen 'em on Ebay for less. Good luck with the Dynalight thing!

Ed

Correct, no "key/chip/whatever" on the IR remote. I ordered my 21.0's directly from Dish when they 1st came out. $19.99 + $5.XX shipping, had 'em in 3 days. I've seen 'em on Ebay for less. Good luck with the Dynalight thing!

Ed

Looks like that dynalight feature is related to the problem, as I disabled it and the remote appeared to work much better. I had already contacted Dish network about the problem and they are sending me a new remote. When I got the replacement confirmation, it said it's a 21.0 remote, so guess they are aware of the problem since they're replacing my IR remote with another UHF.

Looks like that dynalight feature is related to the problem, as I disabled it and the remote appeared to work much better. I had already contacted Dish network about the problem and they are sending me a new remote. When I got the replacement confirmation, it said it's a 21.0 remote, so guess they are aware of the problem since they're replacing my IR remote with another UHF.
The 21.0 remote is UHF/IR and IR only. Switch in battery compartment. I'm using one strictly IR.

I had a similar problem with a 222K receiver. It was solved when Dish support sent me another 21.0 IR/UHF remote. I set it up to control TV1 via UHF. This eliminated the IR interference issues I was having with IR control of TV1.

As a follow up to my original post I would like to mention that an excellent Dish support staff member finally understood my IR interference problem. The solution was a new 21.0 IR/UHF PRO remote (no charge-2nd day air)from Dish which I reconfigured from being an IR remote to a UHF remote. The UHF remote now controls TV1 without a glitch. The reconfiguration involved removing the 2 module from the bottom front of the remote and turning it over to the side that says 1 and then reinstalling it so that the 1 shows. Also verify that the switch in the battery compartment is in the IR/UHF position. It is then necessary to go through the procedure by which the receiver and remote recognize each other. This procedure should work for the ViP 222, ViP222k,ViP622 DVR, ViP722DVR and ViP722k receivers according to my understanding.

As a follow up to my original post I would like to mention that an excellent Dish support staff member finally understood my IR interference problem. The solution was a new 21.0 IR/UHF PRO remote (no charge-2nd day air)from Dish which I reconfigured from being an IR remote to a UHF remote. The UHF remote now controls TV1 without a glitch. The reconfiguration involved removing the 2 module from the bottom front of the remote and turning it over to the side that says 1 and then reinstalling it so that the 1 shows. Also verify that the switch in the battery compartment is in the IR/UHF position. It is then necessary to go through the procedure by which the receiver and remote recognize each other. This procedure should work for the ViP 222, ViP222k,ViP622 DVR, ViP722DVR and ViP722k receivers according to my understanding.

Same thing here, no charge-2day air UPS! And I didn't even mention the possibility of IR interference to the CSR, she just said they're replacing my remote. Since they're sending a UHF replacement for my IR remote, figure they must be seeing this problem quite often. Too bad the problem is not their fault, but good customer service on their part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)