possible bug: weird blind scan results

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I dont know how to describe this but here goes.

Yesterday was the 1st night I actually put my Micro through the wringer (with cfb starting ya know) ;)
Noticed this a few times where it will do this.

Blind scan a satellite and it finds a feed at (as example) 12150 H 13235.
The next time I scan that same satellite (might be 10 minutes later) it will find the same feed but the symbol rate will be off by 200 or so. It will show 12150 H 13013 or something.

Had examples of symbol rate scanning in at 14000 one time then 13758 the 2nd time. Or 29270 one time and then 29076 the next time. It logs the channels twice but with different symbol rates. When you've scanned satellites for 8 years ya kinda know exactly what the symbol rate should be

I know its done this on the 87W RTV muxes too. Will scan at 29125 then at 292XX (dont remember what it is)

Brian if you need more examples I can try tonight and tomorrow and submit them

Just completed a complete 2x scan from 55w -139w for the new channel list and didn't notice this.

Was it in blind scan normal, detailed or both? What version?

blind scan normal
newest (8/29) but has done it in the past

again I scanned the same satellites over and over yesterday looking for games :)

I just tried 87W and 125W three times each and didn't notice that. I will try again here in a few, going to go make some adjustments to one of my dishes first.

It sounds like those bizarre symbol rates still produce channels even if more than 200 off?

Does this occur during a detailed search?

I only have access to my mother's 97/101 GloryStar dish for testing while in Washington state. Will run some repetitive scans tonight after I leave the hospital and see if this can be replicated on these satellites.

found one right now

85W
scanned in a scrambled feed at 12181 H 30000 (which it should be that symbol rate)...
went to 91 and scanned that sat
then went back to 85 and rescanned....found the channel at 12181 H 29875...so 125 off on the symbol rate

logs channel twice

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    856.5 KB · Views: 216
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    830.3 KB · Views: 174
I only have access to my mother's 97/101 GloryStar dish for testing while in Washington state. Will run some repetitive scans tonight after I leave the hospital and see if this can be replicated on these satellites.

take care of your mom. Dont worry about the petty things like this until another time. I'm sure we'll run across this issue again ;)

Just seen this scanning again, on 85W but the first two time the 11941 scanned 30K both times, well it is actually 11940, your lnbf's IF is off a bit...:D

move off 85 and scan another satellite then go back and rescan 85. Dont remove any channels just rescan and see what happens

move off 85 and scan another satellite then go back and rescan 85. Dont remove any channels just rescan and see what happens

That is what I did, I didn't remove anything, I tried to duplicate what you are doing.

I have seen this "bug" before but didn't bother reporting it...
First scan 30000 and 29875 the 2nd time
It usually happens with transponders with large symbol rates, I have seen it happen with some of the 20000 and 22000 symbol rate transponders on 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku too.
I am using the SatelliteAV Ku band PLL LNB.

I sure hope you guys get to the bottom of this, I know it is not the end of the world, but me being technical and electronically minded, is curious as to what is going on here. I so far can not duplicate it, but now I will be looking real close, and scanning a bird more than once, within a 30 minute time frame.

found one right now

85W
scanned in a scrambled feed at 12181 H 30000 (which it should be that symbol rate)...
went to 91 and scanned that sat
then went back to 85 and rescanned....found the channel at 12181 H 29875...so 125 off on the symbol rate

logs channel twice

Your FEC and Modulation are showing up as different also...... Flip between the pics like flash cards, and see the difference. I'd think this was an lnb issue, but it's an odd one for sure.

the channel is scrambled so it may throw that off. But the other feed I found that was in the clear showed the same info

I have seen this "bug" before but didn't bother reporting it...
First scan 30000 and 29875 the 2nd time
It usually happens with transponders with large symbol rates, I have seen it happen with some of the 20000 and 22000 symbol rate transponders on 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku too.
I am using the SatelliteAV Ku band PLL LNB.

Thank you for confirming it :)
Yeah it only seems to be on the large symbol rate feeds