Possible Hopper Upgrade with questions

iadubber

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Farley, Iowa, United States
Hello everyone,
I am thinking of upgrading from my 722k to a Hopper and one Wifi or Super Joey setup. I have a few questions.

• Will my EHD from my 722k connect to a Hopper and view the recordings? I am just not sure if the recordings will transfer to a hopper if it was recorded on a 722k since the software is so different.

• What are the needed requirements for a Hopper to work as far as how many lines from the LNB to the switch etc.? How many lines need to go from the switch to the Hopper? My current setup is a Dish on the roof, two lines from the LNB into the attic and to the switch, then one RG6 I ran from the attic to the basement where my media closet is. I just want to know if I'll need more than one RG6 from the attic to the basement? I will have one available from my OTA antenna I ran but I'm just curious.

• Can you watch live TV from a Virtual Joey on my PS3?

• What's the difference in a Wifi Joey and Super Joey besides the extra tuners? Is the WiFi it's own network with the Dish Hopper or using your existing wireless network? Is the Wifi able to send HD signal?

• I see the Hopper says Bluetooth audio streaming. Does this mean I can hook up Bluetooth headphones and listen to TV?

Thanks for any help! I have burned my brain trying to read about the Hopper. I just want to be prepared as I'm reluctant to give up my 722k as it's been dead nuts reliable for me for quite a few years. But our family is growing and now needs more than one HD video source and DVR access.

I can answer your first question. I upgraded from a 722K to the Hopper with Sling and all of my EHD recordings were viewable on the Hopper. Yes, the recordings will transfer OK. Some folks have problems transferring the recordings back to the Hopper, but the recordings are viewable directly from the EHD. No real need to transfer them to the Hopper (unless you want to use Dish Anywhere).

Reactions: iadubber
The Hopper will support 2 ehd's at a time. The transfer back problem was in the early days of the original Hopper. Once installed it takes several days for the Hopper to get settled in with all functions working.
Yes, you can use BT headphones. Which is great if the wife likes to go to bed early. Mine is usually in bed by 8PM. I'm up to after 11. If you want to get OTA you will need the module. You can use a powered hub to connect them all.
My Joey's are all wired.

Reactions: iadubber
Thanks! I actually was just on chat for about an hour and got most of my questions answered and ended up upgrading to the Hopper and one Joey. I appreciate you answering that because all she could say was there may be some incompatibility.

The Hopper will support 2 ehd's at a time. The transfer back problem was in the early days of the original Hopper. Once installed it takes several days for the Hopper to get settled in with all functions working.
Yes, you can use BT headphones. Which is great if the wife likes to go to bed early. Mine is usually in bed by 8PM. I'm up to after 11. If you want to get OTA you will need the module. You can use a powered hub to connect them all.
My Joey's are all wired.

Sounds like my wife, and this is definitely one big reason I wanted to upgrade. I initially started looking for a solution to get wireless headphones working with my current setup and found that the Hopper has BT audio which will be a big plus for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)