Possible new Dish Sub ... from Voom

Phaetos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
I have looked into DirectTV and they want a ridiculous amount of cash for the HD DVR system. Dish seems to offer all the channels I had ( minus all the HD channels) for about the same amount of monthly cash. I have a few questions though. The website offers the 942, which I hear is actually in short supply. I have an HD set in the living room and a SD set in the bedroom. Soon there will be an HD set in the bedroom but for now that's what is there. The Voom STB down-rezzed for HD to work on the SD set. Does Dish's do that also? For the DVR, since you have one unit, how do you control the channel option for the 2nd tv? Is there a repeater for the signal to get back to the STB? Also, if a program is recorded on that dvr, is it watchable through either output or just the main one, and if it is being watched on one of those, can it be watched at the same time on the other tv? If I can't get the 942, it gives me the option of the 811 for the main stb and a 510 for the 2nd room. Are both DVR's? or jus the 811? If it is the only DVR, can the recorded show be streamed to the 2nd stb to be watched on the 2nd tv?

Lots of question I know, but I feel that the CSR's probably won't be able to answer any of these questions since they aren't on their script.

Thanks,
Phaetos
Depressed Voom Loyalist

I just signed up for their Everything package and the 942. I used to have Dish a few years ago. There is a UHF remote for the second tv that lets you control the receiver from your second tv room. The cable is ran to both on install. Before they did not have dual tuners, but this DVR does, so you can get different channels on each. I am hoping the DVR will share across tv's, but not sure. I do know there is only one component connection for the main HDTV, the other TV2 connection on the 942 looks to be SD only. Take a look at the 942 PDF doc on the Dish site. I got the 522 for the other 2 of my four rooms that is also a dual-tuner, which will work for two tvs as I said above. If you get the Everything package, it is the same money for the 522 DVR than a regular receiver, something in the promo, can't remember what, and it is newer than the 510. I haven't seen the 811.

I'm a sad soon-to-be-former Voomer who also signed on for the Everything package and a 942. I got an 811 for the bedroom (took the plunge as you're considering and upgraded it to a 27" Samsung HDTV, which I like quite a lot btw) as it has DVI and wasn't sure how the two rooms sharing the tuners was going to work out. I have a third room (office) thats SD and I'm getting the 311 for that set. I had the same question about whether the 811 would downconvert, until I realized that it didn't really matter, just get the 311 and be done with it.

However, if the 811 does the nice letterboxing of HD content and allows the HD OTA llocals to be folded into the guide that could be the kicker... Now I'm just as confused as you are. Maybe the 811 is the best choice for the SD tv, just for the HD OTA. :confused:

Phaetos said:
I have looked into DirectTV and they want a ridiculous amount of cash for the HD DVR system. Dish seems to offer all the channels I had ( minus all the HD channels) for about the same amount of monthly cash. I have a few questions though. The website offers the 942, which I hear is actually in short supply. I have an HD set in the living room and a SD set in the bedroom. Soon there will be an HD set in the bedroom but for now that's what is there. The Voom STB down-rezzed for HD to work on the SD set. Does Dish's do that also? For the DVR, since you have one unit, how do you control the channel option for the 2nd tv? Is there a repeater for the signal to get back to the STB? Also, if a program is recorded on that dvr, is it watchable through either output or just the main one, and if it is being watched on one of those, can it be watched at the same time on the other tv? If I can't get the 942, it gives me the option of the 811 for the main stb and a 510 for the 2nd room. Are both DVR's? or jus the 811? If it is the only DVR, can the recorded show be streamed to the 2nd stb to be watched on the 2nd tv?

Lots of question I know, but I feel that the CSR's probably won't be able to answer any of these questions since they aren't on their script.

Thanks,
Phaetos
Depressed Voom Loyalist

Here's a few things you may want to know about the 942 written by
Mark Lamutt over at DBS Talk forums.

Maybe save you a headache or two when setting up your system needs.

What’s Not So Good About the DVR-942

Of course there are some annoying issues that need to be fixed. There always are. If I told you that this was a perfect product, you’d fall over on the floor laughing (and rightfully so). It’s not perfect, but the imperfections are minor. So, I’m going to list some of the annoying things that are still wrong with the DVR-942 here. Most of these are things that should be reasonably easily fixable in future versions of the software.

Manual timers are not named correctly if they are set to start before the start of the hour or the start of the half hour. Timers and events recorded from those timers are named the previous program’s title. For example, an event recorded from a manual timer set to record from 8:58pm to 10:00pm will be named the title of the program from 8pm to 9pm, rather than being named the title of the program from 9pm to 10pm.

You can’t watch OTA analog channels yet.

There's no Discrete OFF remote command.

You can’t watch digital OTA channels on the TV2 output when running in Dual User mode. This was obviously a business decision to encourage you to subscribe to your DISH NetworkTM locals package, not a technical limitation.

You must subscribe to your DISH NetworkTM local channel package to have guide data for your local digital OTA channels (just like with the DVR-921). Once again, obviously a business decision.

With DISH NetworkTM multi-tuner receivers, you must have a phone line (with a dial tone) connected at all times or you are charged a $4.99 per month fee. You may be able to get a VoIP system to work, but it's not supported, so if you can't get it to work, you are out of luck and on your own. The same applies to DSL and cable company phone lines and cell phone connections as well.

When in Single User Mode, the TV2 output of downconverted 16:9 programming is displayed horizontally squished rather than being displayed in a letterboxed format.

None of the aspect ratio formats work when tuned to high definition satellite channels or digital OTA channels. This means that the DVR-942 cannot apply stretch, partial zoom or zoom to upconverted 4:3 broadcasts.

There currently is a problem outputting DD5.1 audio when PIP has been activated (either with the PIP button or with the SWAP button). DD5.1 audio is only active on the main PIP window. Once a Swap has occurred, the DVR-942 will only output PCM audio until the main window is swapped back.

Phaetos said:
If I can't get the 942, it gives me the option of the 811 for the main stb and a 510 for the 2nd room. Are both DVR's? or jus the 811?

I know the 510 is an SD DVR with about 100 hours of recording time but I'm pretty sure the 811 is not a DVR but it is an HD receiver.

Now I'm really confused. I just really want the ability to DVR for both tv's and output to either tv whatever was recorded. I want HD on both tv's, even though one is SD at the moment, but it will be upgraded soon I hope. The 942 seemed to fit my bill at this time. I guess I could get 2 811's, no they aren't DVR's. God, voom's choice was so easy. here's your box, does it all.

welcome to the dishnetwork forums. just to clarify to all the new to dish people.

the 811 and 6000 are regular hd receivers.

the 921 and 942 are hd dvrs.

the 500 series are sd pvrs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)