Possible Receiver Fraud?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjw1967

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Hi. Is there a Direct TV employee lurking here? Boy, have I got one for you! My mother-in-law lives across the street (I know, I know....). Yesterday she received 2 boxes with instructions to return 4 Direct TV receivers. It looks like the boxes were dropped off by the Post Office. There are 2 return labels. Each label has 2 RID#'s for a ttl of 4 units. All units are Model# D12-100. I wouldn't even know where to begin in calling Direct TV. I am going to contact the Post Office on Monday to register this poss fraud. Unless she went brain dead, there's no way she can have a Direct TV acct. So it should be a simple matter for Direct TV to trace back the credit card number on the acct to the actual person who has been paying the bill up to now. Any other suggestions? I am not a Direct TV customer, so thanks to Satellite Guys for hosting this forum so that I could try to get some advice on this.:confused:

BTW, the shipping labels on the boxes clearly have her name and address on them. The return labels do not reference her address.

I can think of two possibilities. One, the return boxes were left there by mistake, or two, someone is using her address to "move". What names are on the address label, your mil, or someone else? Edit: With the extra info you just gave, I'm thinking it's a fraud. Directv wouldn't have her name, and if someone was using her address to "move", it would have their rid # number. Either way, I would call Directv right now. They can identify who has those receivers on their account.

Thanks, Chip. Not being a Direct TV customer, do you happen to have a tel nbr or should I just start with their main? I was hoping to avoid going thru a number of prompts. Thanks.

I'd call the main number. I don't know what it is though. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

BTW nice Stude. I have a 67 GTO.

Ah, one of my favorite non Studebakers! The car in my avatar is actually a '57 Packard wagon. It's based on a Studebaker President, but it has a nicer interior and different trim. It came with a Studebaker 289 and a McCulloch supercharger!

Hi. Is there a Direct TV employee lurking here? Boy, have I got one for you! My mother-in-law lives across the street (I know, I know....). Yesterday she received 2 boxes with instructions to return 4 Direct TV receivers. It looks like the boxes were dropped off by the Post Office. There are 2 return labels. Each label has 2 RID#'s for a ttl of 4 units. All units are Model# D12-100. I wouldn't even know where to begin in calling Direct TV. I am going to contact the Post Office on Monday to register this poss fraud. Unless she went brain dead, there's no way she can have a Direct TV acct. So it should be a simple matter for Direct TV to trace back the credit card number on the acct to the actual person who has been paying the bill up to now. Any other suggestions? I am not a Direct TV customer, so thanks to Satellite Guys for hosting this forum so that I could try to get some advice on this.:confused:

In addition to what Chip said............hang on to the boxes and expect someone to inquire about them. ANDtake a look at your mother's CC statements. Someone may have her card info and using it elsewhere.

Joe

Wayne Carini on Chasing Classic Cars bought a Packard wagon on one of his shows. Georgeous. I went to the DirecTV wbsite and was able to access a contact us page where I described a problem. I figure it is easier for them to contact me. I was able to tyoe in the receiver nbrs. I'll keep you posted.

I know Wayne a little and got a good look at that wagon. The restoration was very well done, although there were a few issues with authenticity. Truth be told, it's nicer than mine, but I like mine plenty!

1. always call emailing is pointless 9 out of 10 times

2. could be a victim of identify theft. call in with her near buy to see what you cant get out of the weenies.

please keep us posted on this. this is actually an interesting story

Yes this is a good story. My hunch is a "mover". Directv, on occasion will manage to send the boxes to the service address, rather than the billing address even though you tell them otherwise. Let's hope it's that and not credit card fraud or identity theft.

Thank you all for your interest. I got an email from Cust Service, Ms. Cecille. She asked that my mother in law call them tomorrow and gave an 800 nbr. I'll make the call as mom in law is here in my home recovering from some medical issues. She's 85 and doesn't hear well either. I'm sure Cust Service will understand. To be continued.....

Yes this is a good story. My hunch is a "mover". Directv, on occasion will manage to send the boxes to the service address, rather than the billing address even though you tell them otherwise. Let's hope it's that and not credit card fraud or identity theft.

My first hunch was a mover, too, but he said the boxes were addressed to his mil. This is an interesting story!

Well here is what you can do.

1. Call and say you dont have the account number can they look it up by receiver id number. They can and then ask if your mom in law name is on the account. If yes there is a the last 4 of her social should be in the the main screen of there billing application. It usually hidden but it is there . If that matches it will mean it will have to dtv fraud department. Which I may be wrong but is still handled by DTV Signal Integrity department. With email address of SignalIntegrity@directv.com They have some way of determining if it is fraud. I dont know the details never worked for that department.

Spoke with their identity theft div just now. Actuall has a separate 8000 nbr....(800) 860-8542. Kinda difficult conv as I guess they are trained not to believe you. Anyway, I had to give the last 4 nbrs of her SS#. It looks like the acct was opened in 2007. But she has not been paying for it. My wife suggested that someone with bad credit used her stolen info and their credit card nbr on autopay to get the service. I guess they stopped paying and now DirecTV wants the receivers back. Anyway, they said they would send us a letter in about a week advising if they still think she is responsible for the return of the receivers or she's off the hook. That's actually a smart way to do it since the mail is delivered to a lock box. Thanks again for all comments and suggestions. I'll be sure to let you know what the letter says. BTW does DirecTV do autopay?

pjw1967 said:
Spoke with their identity theft div just now. Actuall has a separate 8000 nbr....(800) 860-8542. Kinda difficult conv as I guess they are trained not to believe you. Anyway, I had to give the last 4 nbrs of her SS#. It looks like the acct was opened in 2007. But she has not been paying for it. My wife suggested that someone with bad credit used her stolen info and their credit card nbr on autopay to get the service. I guess they stopped paying and now DirecTV wants the receivers back. Anyway, they said they would send us a letter in about a week advising if they still think she is responsible for the return of the receivers or she's off the hook. That's actually a smart way to do it since the mail is delivered to a lock box. Thanks again for all comments and suggestions. I'll be sure to let you know what the letter says. BTW does DirecTV do autopay?

Yes, D* does autopay ....
They actually prefer it that way, of course ....

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Update - We got this big package in the mail from DTV. A bunch of forms to fill out and had the signature notarized. We did not file a police report since none of the charges hit MIL's credit card. Faxed the forms to DTV in Calif. So far no response. Will give it another week and then contact them. I asked them to provide me with the name of the person on the autopay credit card who must have been paying for the monthly service. Doubt they'll tell me. Might still go to the police if DTV gets gnarly about this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)