Possible switch do Direct TV from Dish, install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kybrian

Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
kentucky
I'm thinking of making the switch to Direct TV after 14 years with Dish. My home has 1 coax cable ran to the basement from each room. I want 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD receivers. I want the whole home MRV. My router is in my office on the 2nd floor where I won't have a tv. I will put one HD DVR on the first floor family room and 1 hd dvr on the first floor bedroom. The other 2 hd receiver's in the bedrooms on the 2nd floor. What is installed at the router to make the MRV work? My router is on a desk across the room from the coax in the wall. Would this be an easy install?

I can't help with your install questions, but let me say I just moved from Dish after 7 years thinking mistakenly that:
1. Dish was cheaper (moving saved me $10 a month long-term and at least $400 in new customer promotions the first year)
2. Dish had better dvr hardware and software (2x whole-home dvrs is far superior to DISH's current line-up).

You won't regret the move and may like me be wondering why you didn't move sooner.

To connect the receivers to the Internet, they use an adapter called DECA. They will need to run a coax cable (RG6) to the location where the router is. MRV works great and I think you'd be surprised how easy it's for them to install it. To accomplish the same thing with Dish Network, you'd need diplexers, splitters, and cables all over the place.

To connect the receivers to the Internet, they use an adapter called DECA. They will need to run a coax cable (RG6) to the location where the router is. MRV works great and I think you'd be surprised how easy it's for them to install it. To accomplish the same thing with Dish Network, you'd need diplexers, splitters, and cables all over the place.
Can the existing RG6 in the wall which is not being used and will not have a tv attached be used for the DECA? This is the room where the router is located. Every room in the house has RG6 running to the basement to the same location.

I'm thinking of making the switch to Direct TV after 14 years with Dish. My home has 1 coax cable ran to the basement from each room. I want 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD receivers. I want the whole home MRV. My router is in my office on the 2nd floor where I won't have a tv. I will put one HD DVR on the first floor family room and 1 hd dvr on the first floor bedroom. The other 2 hd receiver's in the bedrooms on the 2nd floor. What is installed at the router to make the MRV work? My router is on a desk across the room from the coax in the wall. Would this be an easy install?

I have the same question as you. I am having Direct with the whole home setup installed this Thursday after being with Dish for some time now. Nothing against Dish(except contract disputes every month it seems) just liked the idea of the whole home setup and the money saved by promotions.

Like you, my router is across the room from a unused cable outlet which from what I can figure will have a cable going from it to some device which will go to the router. That sounds simple enough,but when the router is across the room from cable jack then your going to have a cable going all the way across the room.

I am even wondering if I will get the Cinemaplus hooked up for this very reason. I have Netflix so I dont think I will use the on demand and I never order PPV. What else is the internet connection for?

Can the existing RG6 in the wall which is not being used and will not have a tv attached be used for the DECA? This is the room where the router is located. Every room in the house has RG6 running to the basement to the same location.

Yes, they will use the RG6 cable going to that room. You're all set.

There is no internet connection necessary for MRV to work. The internet connection allows access to on demand via a Broadband Deca. You mentioned having 2 DVRs installed...your recording needs must be very high....that will give you 400 hrs of recording space. Only one DVR is necessary for MRV. With one you will be able to record/view list/playback from any room.

There is no internet connection necessary for MRV to work. The internet connection allows access to on demand via a Broadband Deca. You mentioned having 2 DVRs installed...your recording needs must be very high....that will give you 400 hrs of recording space. Only one DVR is necessary for MRV. With one you will be able to record/view list/playback from any room.
I also have 2 HD-DVRs installed. Main reason is I wanted the option of having 4 tuners to record off of (and be able to watch that content on either tv). Since the fee for the second box is the same DVR or non DVR, I went with DVR in both spots and set them to share playlists.

Been in Hospital a butch and wife works 6pm to 6am and hoes to school so yes we use a lot.:)

You mentioned having 2 DVRs installed...your recording needs must be very high....that will give you 400 hrs of recording space. Only one DVR is necessary for MRV. With one you will be able to record/view list/playback from any room.
You can only have one WHDS session at a time, so if you want to watch two sessions via WHDS, you need two DVRs. The two tuner limit kinda blows too.

It is also not entirely reasonable to assume that you'll definitely get HR24 HD DVRs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)