Possible Switch from Dish to Directv help please.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rkassl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Wisconsin
I am a very long time Dish NW customer, loyal till it hurts. But this Fox News issue has pissed me off so bad it hurts. My house is wired for HD on all receivers will this existing cable work well if I switched to Directv? I do not want the hose rewired it is a pain in the butt for me and the tech. Will Directv install their equipment on the existing cable if I ask for it? Please help any advice would be appreciated.

As long as it isn't RG59, which I haven't seen dish utilize, at least in my area. A thorough tech will replace the connectors and wallplates but otherwise existing cable can be used, especially if the customer requests so. The only cable we may have to replace is the line from the dish to the cable box or splitter.

As long as it isn't RG59, which I haven't seen dish utilize, at least in my area. A thorough tech will replace the connectors and wallplates but otherwise existing cable can be used, especially if the customer requests so. The only cable we may have to replace is the line from the dish to the cable box or splitter.
As far as inside fittings go... if the existing are of a quality that meets my standards... I'd leave them.

All in all yea we use existing wiring. And if you had all hd to begin with then you should have a box on every tv with dish. Which should be on an rg6 line. Which dtv should be able to utilize.

As far as inside fittings go... if the existing are of a quality that meets my standards... I'd leave them.

All in all yea we use existing wiring. And if you had all hd to begin with then you should have a box on every tv with dish. Which should be on an rg6 line. Which dtv should be able to utilize.
If they had 211's, it is possible that it is RG59(although not likely). I agree for the most part though.

I'm also about to make the switch from Dish to Direct. I could care less about Fox news but I desperately want Root Sports so I can watch local teams. I want to know if the external HD I have hooked up to my Dish 722 will be compatible with a Direct TV DVR. I would hate to loose my saved content. Has anyone else tried to move existing programs from one company to another?

I'm also about to make the switch from Dish to Direct. I could care less about Fox news but I desperately want Root Sports so I can watch local teams. I want to know if the external HD I have hooked up to my Dish 722 will be compatible with a Direct TV DVR. I would hate to loose my saved content. Has anyone else tried to move existing programs from one company to another?
Basically, no. Copyright protections and each company has their own format. I'm not sure about DISH but you can't even switch an external HD from one receiver to another on DTV.

Like cinsu said, you can't move an external hd from dvr to dvr with Directv, much less from Dish to Directv. If it's got an esata connection, then you can at least use it with Directv after it's reformatted.

This seems like a great opportunity for Direct to capture a lot of Dish subscribers.

Is Direct doing anything to reach out to us? (Making the procedure clear and easy, giving contract or price incentives, etc.)

:welcome to Satelliteguys Yo!

Directv has some very good incentives for new subscribers. Check their website for details.

I see that there's a limited-time $10/month discount (with a 2-year contract required).........but nothing else?

I see that there's a limited-time $10/month discount (with a 2-year contract required).........but nothing else?

I think there are much better deals out there than $10/month. Costco and BB often have kiosks in them where you can get gift cards and such. Shop around!

Also, no info on set-up and installation fees, box rentals, and other misc. costs?

Install and setup are free for basic installations. Boxes are going up to $6.50/month each. HD and dvr together are $15/month for new customers. That's for the account, not each box.

Thanks, Chip. That's helpful info.

I don't get why Direct doesn't try a little harder to harvest all the low-hanging fruit (customers) they could get right now!

It's not a good sign, to me as someone thinking of switching to Direct, that they seem to be asleep at the switch.

If they aren't interesting in taking advantage of opportunities for themselves and their company..........how can I be confident that they'll try to do their best for their subscribers?

Menards and Kohl's have $150 gift card direct tv promotions.
I signed up Friday and got a former direct tv customer $150 visa card promotion received in mail.
If a member of AAA Auto club you can get $10 off per month for 20 months.
Membership is like $60 a year so more than pays for itself.
Have to mention AAA membership at sign up.
There are many promotions out there.

If Direct were on the ball, I wouldn't have to scavenger-hunt like this.

I'll probably end-up staying with Dish.

Dish is pretty lousy, but Direct sends signals of being just as bad.........

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)