Status
Please reply by conversation.

will53033

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I am thinking about switching to D*.

Do I need a box for each TV or could I have one box control 2 TV's.

I have 3 TV's. TV1 is the main TV and would be an HD DVR. The other 2TV's are seldom used - and never at the same time. One is upstairs and the other is in the basement. Would the Universal RF Remote work?

I would appreciate any advise/information that you could give to a newbie.

I currently have Dish but because of line of site can not see the satellite where they are putting the new HD - it is my understanding that they will eventually move all HD to that sat. I have told that I would probably would not have a problem with D*.

Thanks for your help.

Will

Currently with Directv youll need a box on each TV, however if you get all HD DVR's you can network them and use Multi-Room viewing but either way youll need a box on each TV which works out because directv's fees for boxes are slightly less than Dish.

Currently with Directv youll need a box on each TV, however if you get all HD DVR's you can network them and use Multi-Room viewing but either way youll need a box on each TV which works out because directv's fees for boxes are slightly less than Dish.

He could use the same box for the two TV's that are seldom used and never at the same time. You could use a RF remote for the tv that will not have the box in the same room.

Just adding to what Jag stated.

Yes, you can have 2 TVs hooked up to one box. The difference from Dish though is that you will not be able to watch two different programs on both TVs at the same time.

Last edited:
He could use the same box for the two TV's that are seldom used and never at the same time. You could use a RF remote for the tv that will not have the box in the same room.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Does anyone know the range of the RF remote. If the box is upstairs
can a signal reach it from the basement?

Thanks,

Will

If it is a standard def box the RF remote will not work. Typically the range for DTV RF remotes doesn't extend as far as Dish's does. There is a kit that you can buy that works perfectly. It's called a remote control extender, basically it is the size of a hockey puck with an antenna on it. It has RF batteries that go into the DTV remote. I have never had a problem with it. The puck also comes with 2 batteries, one can recharge while the other is being used. Keep in mind that you can't diplex the DTV SWM system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts