Possible switch to Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So if D* has your locals in HD there is no advantage to having an OTA module or ability.

Not true. Having the AM21 ota tuner allows you to record channels that Directv doesn't carry. Here in the Hartford market, one of the locals isn't carried by Directv in hd. Also, there are subchannels available in many areas that Directv doesn't carry that are ota. Unfortunately, not all of these are in the database of the AM21, a real drawback to the way that Directv programed the AM21.

Some Dish DVRs can record 4 programs at once, I didn't specify OTA or SAT, just HD. So no deception.

And yes, I do care about OTA. Your 99% don't is just conjecture on your part backed up by no data at all. But with D*, I could understand it being that way since even if you have a DVR that does do OTA, it is limited to 2 recordings at once maximum. So if D* has your locals in HD there is no advantage to having an OTA module or ability.

No I didn't imply it could be done without additional equipment, that's your opinion. But I will say you can do 3 without buying additional equipment with many of the HDDVRS.

And E*'s fee structure is different. Your definition of how they do it is one way to look at it, but certainly not the only way. Other than the missing per account DVR charge which I mistakenly left out, I was correct in the other figures.

You should work for CNN.

Not true. Having the AM21 ota tuner allows you to record channels that Directv doesn't carry. Here in the Hartford market, one of the locals isn't carried by Directv in hd. Also, there are subchannels available in many areas that Directv doesn't carry that are ota. Unfortunately, not all of these are in the database of the AM21, a real drawback to the way that Directv programed the AM21.

Ah, I had forgotten that D* OTA support didn't include channel scan. It has been a few years since I had D*'s HR20.

A little follow-up to my foray into switching to D*. For some odd reason, D* made 2 offers that they wouldn't honor when I agreed to them, then made some 3rd offer that was worse than the national new customer offer. I declined, but it left me scratching my head. So I tried to get a local dealer to do it, nope, got to go direct with D*. So I thought about what was going on and decided that since I was a good customer with D* when I had them (carried mid=level programming and at least one or two premiums all the time), paid with auto-pay all the time and send the equipment back in a timely manner, that the offers should have been better. So I emailed Ellen F's office and queried about what was twitchy in my account.

Got a call back from that office today. They assured me the account was closed in good standing and that they didn't understand why I would have gotten offers that were rescinded at the time of agreement. They did say they would investigate that to find out why and to correct the issue. So they asked what I wanted. I said 2 HR24s and the new customer deal. They agreed and are shipping me 2 HR24s direct (got the email a few minutes ago confirming), and will get them installed next week. The reason a dealer can't do it, is that you have to be gone for a full 2 years before the dealers can sign you back up. I did not know that, nor did the dealer I talked to.

As I said earlier in this thread, I'm nearly ambivalent about which service I'm with. I'm coming back to D* primarily because my son wants the NFL ST package. So I'm making the switch. I'll lose a couple of channels in basic HD that I like (AMC & BBCA), pick up a few premiums in HD that E* doesn't do, pick up a bit of sports and the slight better PQ. I'll gain the superior search methods, but lose the better guide. And when the discounts are up, the price I pay will be just about exactly what I'm paying E* now assuming no increases from either.

One question. If I later, like in a month or so, decide I really need another HR24 and buy it somewhere new, can I get D* to install and if so, what would be the charge?

Thanks

Most vendors charge $199 for an HR24. You may be able to get it a bit cheaper from Directv. For a short while they had it for many customers for $149.

Most vendors charge $199 for an HR24. You may be able to get it a bit cheaper from Directv. For a short while they had it for many customers for $149.

Thanks for the info, Raoul. If you get it from D*, then does that include the installation charge?

I'm getting a SWM install, and if I decide later to get another HR24, then it will go in the same place that one of them will already be in. At the moment, there are 2 cables coming from the D* dish that I assume they will use one of for the HR going at that spot. Could they hook up the other end (sat) and just leave it open at the receiver end for later use? That way I wouldn't need an install.

I would be doing it so that I could have 4 tuners for recording at my beck and call. I am going to look at what my son sets up as he tends to be only on cable type channels and not the locals, and seldom watches live TV. So I may be able to 'borrow' one of his tuners during the broadcast network season. Currently I have a 722k with Dish on my TV and during the broadcast season, it isn't uncommon for me to be recording at least 3 channels at once and on some occasions, all 4 broadcast.

One thing that might mitigate the tuner needs is just how good the VOD is with D*. I guess I'll find out in a week or so...

Thanks for the info, Raoul. If you get it from D*, then does that include the installation charge?

I'm getting a SWM install, and if I decide later to get another HR24, then it will go in the same place that one of them will already be in. At the moment, there are 2 cables coming from the D* dish that I assume they will use one of for the HR going at that spot. Could they hook up the other end (sat) and just leave it open at the receiver end for later use? That way I wouldn't need an install.

I would be doing it so that I could have 4 tuners for recording at my beck and call. I am going to look at what my son sets up as he tends to be only on cable type channels and not the locals, and seldom watches live TV. So I may be able to 'borrow' one of his tuners during the broadcast network season. Currently I have a 722k with Dish on my TV and during the broadcast season, it isn't uncommon for me to be recording at least 3 channels at once and on some occasions, all 4 broadcast.

One thing that might mitigate the tuner needs is just how good the VOD is with D*. I guess I'll find out in a week or so...

they most likely will not install in the same location
you will have 1 wire from the dish to the block
1 wire from each reciver to the block
1 wire from the power inserter to the block
all you would need to do is run a wire from the block to the new receiver
you could ask the tech to put one in while hes doing what he does, then tip him/pay for it then

they most likely will not install in the same location
you will have 1 wire from the dish to the block
1 wire from each reciver to the block
1 wire from the power inserter to the block
all you would need to do is run a wire from the block to the new receiver
you could ask the tech to put one in while hes doing what he does, then tip him/pay for it then

I'm thinking you're right that they wouldn't want to install at the same TV, hence my questions... :)

I'm not at all familiar with the SWM/MRV install, so here's some questions and feel free to point me at a FAQ or some such that might be better.

1. Where is the 'block'?
2. and what is it?
3. Since you said 'power inserter', I'm thinking the 'block' has to be somewhere inside the house???

I'm thinking you're right that they wouldn't want to install at the same TV, hence my questions... :)

I'm not at all familiar with the SWM/MRV install, so here's some questions and feel free to point me at a FAQ or some such that might be better.

1. Where is the 'block'?
2. and what is it?
3. Since you said 'power inserter', I'm thinking the 'block' has to be somewhere inside the house???

the block as i call it is a splitter looking thing, mines on the outside of the house
the power inserter is in the house and plugs into the wall to provide electricity to the dish

Ah, ok. So they'll be swapping the LNB head at least, maybe even the old dish that's up there - it is about 4 years old and may not be good enough. There are now 2 coax cables coming down from the dish going to the place where the single HR21 was located. I'm going to try to get them to use those over and leave one for further expansion, so hopefully the 'block' will be in a location I can get to (I don't do ladders anymore, nor crawl under the house).

thanks for the info.

Ah, ok. So they'll be swapping the LNB head at least, maybe even the old dish that's up there - it is about 4 years old and may not be good enough. There are now 2 coax cables coming down from the dish going to the place where the single HR21 was located. I'm going to try to get them to use those over and leave one for further expansion, so hopefully the 'block' will be in a location I can get to (I don't do ladders anymore, nor crawl under the house).

thanks for the info.

heres a diagram i found

and an article link
High Definition Blog » Directv SWM Installation Demystified

SWM%20DECA%20install%5B5%5D.jpg

Thanks Randall. A good design it appears. Interpolating from that I think this is what I'll end up with and hope for.

Dish -->SWM8(?) --> Splitter --> then One coax to TV1 via a splitter that then goes to the TV and 2nd cable to DECA for the use of the cinema connection kit, another to TV2.

Assuming that is the way things are going to be done, then one cable that is already in place from a previous D* install for TV1 will not be used. I'm thinking that could be hooked to a splitter connection and left dangling inside so I can hook up an additional HR should I want to. Does that sound right? The reason I ask is that on the splitters in all the pictures I see, it shows all the non-used connections having a connector on them, is that connector just a protector for the splitter connection or is it a terminator of some sort?

only issue i see is that i think there's no guarantee you'll get an HR24 when you order from directv. thats why i get them from other reputable vendors.

only issue i see is that i think there's no guarantee you'll get an HR24 when you order from directv. thats why i get them from other reputable vendors.

Normally that is true. And if an install is set up for the tech to bring the equipment with them, you'll get whatever's on the truck. But in this case since I'm dealing with the 'office of the President', they are trying to make up for the fiasco that coming back to D* was for me. Remember I got 2 offers from D*, agreed to both at different times and each time I agreed, they then said they couldn't do it. The 3rd offer was worse than any I've seen posted and by that time I was mad anyway. So I then went to a dealer and they couldn't do anything at all. So I emailed Ellen F's office and that's where we're at right now.

They are shipping direct to me the two HR24s and then the installer will come next Tuesday to do the install. The reason that they are doing that is to get me to sign right now and not wait until I've been gone at least 24 full months (October '11 for me) and use a dealer so I can ensure getting what I want. And the price for 2 of them was uh, ahem, great!! :)

Hmmmm, so if I am a new customer, and want to get the whole-house DVR, what would they send in place of that? I ask because I am thinking of switching at the end of this month.

Hmmmm, so if I am a new customer, and want to get the whole-house DVR, what would they send in place of that? I ask because I am thinking of switching at the end of this month.

You may get a 24, you may also get a 20-23. All will do the job, the 24 is simply the fastest of the bunch. (there are some differences in HD sizes between the models, and the 20 is the only one with built in OTA tuners, the others use an add on). Functionally they are all the same though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)