Possible switch to Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You may get a 24, you may also get a 20-23. All will do the job, the 24 is simply the fastest of the bunch. (there are some differences in HD sizes between the models, and the 20 is the only one with built in OTA tuners, the others use an add on). Functionally they are all the same though.

I am with Directv now and got the HR24NC-100. It is a pretty nice receiver and seems to run cooler than the VIP 722 that I had with Dish.:D

Thanks Randall. A good design it appears. Interpolating from that I think this is what I'll end up with and hope for.

Dish -->SWM8(?) --> Splitter --> then One coax to TV1 via a splitter that then goes to the TV and 2nd cable to DECA for the use of the cinema connection kit, another to TV2.

Assuming that is the way things are going to be done, then one cable that is already in place from a previous D* install for TV1 will not be used. I'm thinking that could be hooked to a splitter connection and left dangling inside so I can hook up an additional HR should I want to. Does that sound right? The reason I ask is that on the splitters in all the pictures I see, it shows all the non-used connections having a connector on them, is that connector just a protector for the splitter connection or is it a terminator of some sort?

The terminators are needed for unused ports and the splitters come with them. My suggestion is to use a 4 way splitter at the point of entry and from there feed the HR24s. You will need another port to connect your setup to the router if you wish so. That will leave you with one extra port that you can use to add another receiver in the future.

Thanks, Randall.

So D* is living up to what they promised. I got the two HR24s today, now to just impatiently wait til Tuesday! I actually could hook up one with bbc's now and get it all agreed I suppose, but that would probably be a mistake.

Install done yesterday, (2) HR24s, MRV, HD Free, Premier and DVR fee -- total bill for 1st 3 months ~$55! Great deal, and of course includes the NFL ST and To Go. My son is particularly looking forward to that.

The HR24 seems as quick for most functions as my Vip722k, quite nice. Small, quiet and with the front panel lights toned down a bit, really goes well in my AV rack. HD PQ for regular HD and HD Movies is virtually the same to my eyes as it was on Dish. Sports are a horse of a different color. HD PQ is much better! SD isn't quite as good as my EA Dish install, but it isn't as bad as I thought I had remembered it. So while I won't get my AMC/BBCA in HD, I'll be able to watch the few shows I do watch on them is fairly decent SD.

Initially some issues with remote access with the iPad app and the TV apps, but a forced firmware update to 0x04D1 cured all of that.

Overall pleased with the switchover, but as usual these things are a tradeoff. Lose a little, gain a little... :)

glad you like it so far
it will take some getting used to the new remote and guide
but i think the extra features available through the guide are great
dont forget to set up your 9 quick tunes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)