Possible Tivo to DVR conversion (1 Viewer)

bsilvertab

SatelliteGuys Guru
May 12, 2004
Rockford MI
Hello,
Right now I have expanded basic cable with a tivo. I recently desided to add HBO because of the Sopranos. I currently have a digital box for the HDTV in the living room, and am thinking about replacing the bedroom Tivo box with a comcast DVR so I can record HBO. How is the interface compared to a Tivo? It would only cost me an extra $4 a month to convert and I would at least try it. My other options is just to get a digital box and hook it up to the Tivo. Opinions? Advise?

BSilvertab

markd

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Memphis area
I have a D* HD-TIVO. And when I tried TWC last November they gave me an Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR. There's a big difference in the user interface. The HD-TIVO wins in user-friendly interface, IMO. The SA8300HD degraded the PQ of analog channels even worse than they look without going thru the SA8300HD. But the SA8300HD did work. It did have Name Base Recording (Season Pass in TIVO). It did have dual tuners so you can...
1) record two shows.
2) record a show while watching another.
3) I don't remember if you can record two shows and watch a recorded show or not.

My suggestion is to give it a try. If you can't get use to it you can always trade it in for a HD-STB.

Did you know that TIVO is suppose to have their Series 3 (duel tuner, cablecard HD) TIVO out by the end of the year (hopefully)? Also, if you have Comcast, they have an agreement to supply the TIVO software to their HD-DVRs soon. For an extra fee, of course. If I remember correctly they are going to start this in June. But I might be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)