Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I realized this morning that we have all of our locals in HD including subchannels from our cable company via our cable internet line. Can I run that through the OTA port on the SWM and diplex it just like I would an antenna? The cable internet would be split off before the SWM so I wouldn't need to worry about that signal coming through the diplexer.

I know it's not officially supported, but there have been numerous reports of various setups working. I assume your plan is to diplex it to a tuner input on your TV? You won't be able to diplex it to your receiver.

My setup only works for one room, but I've found the following to be very successful for my internet: Dish > SWM > Diplexer (w/ Internet) > Splitter > Diplexer > Receiver & Cable Modem. Not sure what might happen if I tried to add an antenna to the OTA port of the SWM.

Can't hurt to give it a shot, anyway.

Yep, that's exactly what I want to do.

I can either diplex the cable internet in as well, or I can split it off in my attic before I run it in the SWM. I have a dedicated wall outlet for it anyway.

It all depends on where the channels are situated in the frequency band. With my local Comcast, it is not possible as they essentially send some sort of signal on pretty much every available frequency. SWM uses frequencies between 950MHz and 1.8GHz

Is there a way to tell?

Our cable company is Time Warner in Dallas.

Just installed the splitter and diplexer and found that it works perfectly!!

I'm even getting channels from their basic and expanded package that I did not know about, including those I don't get with Directv since we have the family package.

Okay, it works perfectly on my LCD. I cannot get my DLP to bring them in. I know it supports QAM, but I'm wondering if I need a cablecard for it to work? I have it connected to the Ant/Cable input and it does not detect any channels.

Okay, it works perfectly on my LCD. I cannot get my DLP to bring them in.
Are you sure you've set the TV for CATV and not ATSC? Some televisions also have a button on the remote that switches between analog and digital channels (voice of hard-fought experience).

Are you sure you've set the TV for CATV and not ATSC? Some televisions also have a button on the remote that switches between analog and digital channels (voice of hard-fought experience).

Yeah, my menu had ANT1 - ANT, ANT1 - Cable, ANT2 - ANT, ANT2 - Cable

I had it on cable.

My LG LCD TV has options in its setup to scan for TV (NTSC), DTV (ATSC), CATV (cable channels), and CADTV (QAM). There is only one RF input. So you may need to scan for QAM channels.
Now back to the topic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)