Possible to get locals from 2 cities?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

crash331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
We have both Comcast cable and Dish TurboHD. With Comcast, we get the Atlanta and Chattanooga CBS affiliate. Therefore I can watch both the Falcons/Saints game and the Titans/Colts game in SD.

With TurboHD, I only get the Atlanta CBS affiliate so I can't watch the Colts game at all.

Is it possible for DISH to do this if I tell them cable offers both? Or is it pretty much an impossibility?

Well, if you could pick up either of them OTA, then putting up an antenna to receive whatever you can would be the easiest solution. Outside of that, while I doubt Dish would set you up with more than one local area (DMA), I really don't know.

nope...Satellite has to follow different rules on what locals they can carry. Plus Dish can only offer one set of locals for your area.

Cable's rule on what locals they can carry is from the 60's which is "if you can pick it up you can show it"
Satellite has to follow the DMA rules so you would only get one set

They use to be able in some areas to show "significantly viewed" channels but on 12/1/06 they lost a legal battle and had to shut ALL distants off

I guess I could turn the Yagi toward chattanooga. It's pointed to Atlanta right now and hasn't been used in 2 years. When it was working, it would only pick up Fox. Not sure if CBS Chattanooga is close enough to get.

How does DISH OTA work? Can I splice the antenna output into the dish somehow or do I have to run a separate cable through the attic?

How does DISH OTA work? Can I splice the antenna output into the dish somehow or do I have to run a separate cable through the attic?
You may be able to "diplex" OTA into the satellite cable if you're not using diplexing for some other purpose.

If you were thinking department store splitter, no.

You may be able to "diplex" OTA into the satellite cable if you're not using diplexing for some other purpose.

If you were thinking department store splitter, no.

I dunno if I am diplexing now or not. The installer put up the 1000.2 dish I think, on the western arc. It's connected to 1 box. Seems like nothing should be diplexed. Any idea on what parts are needed and how to wire it?

If your DISH Network receiver serves only one television, you should be able to install a pair of diplexers and bring OTA down on the satellite line. The Holland model DPD2 diplexer is recommended for this task.

It would certainly be less confusing (and you would have a better chance of success) if you ran a second cable for the purpose of OTA.

nope...Satellite has to follow different rules on what locals they can carry. Plus Dish can only offer one set of locals for your area.

Cable's rule on what locals they can carry is from the 60's which is "if you can pick it up you can show it"
Satellite has to follow the DMA rules so you would only get one set

They use to be able in some areas to show "significantly viewed" channels but on 12/1/06 they lost a legal battle and had to shut ALL distants off

I totally agree with all Iceberd said, but I did want to throw this out.
I used to live and install and Missouri, and there were a couple of cities that were right on the borders of 2 DMA's and Dish, after '06 when they got the screws put to em, somehow still got to offer both DMA's in certain areas.
One city in particular is pretty much dead on the line of St Louis, MO and Paducah, Ky DMA's, so they get both.
I don't know if there is any of those applications where you live, that you could "move" to, but maybe something to look around at. I generally don't recommend "moving" but I feel if the local cable company can provide both, then satellite should be able to as well.
If you want to see for your self my example: go to dish's website and enter an address for Perryville, MO 63755. I used the address 1034 Drury Ln, Apt #2.

That is very odd that they can do that, especially since significantly viewed channels lawsuit was lost. I am in Penn Yan, NY and the local cable has Rochester, Syracuse, and Elmira-Corning on the basic cable here, but I called Dish about SV channels and they said no. It was probably after 12-1-06.

I totally agree with all Iceberd said, but I did want to throw this out.
I used to live and install and Missouri, and there were a couple of cities that were right on the borders of 2 DMA's and Dish, after '06 when they got the screws put to em, somehow still got to offer both DMA's in certain areas.
One city in particular is pretty much dead on the line of St Louis, MO and Paducah, Ky DMA's, so they get both.
I don't know if there is any of those applications where you live, that you could "move" to, but maybe something to look around at. I generally don't recommend "moving" but I feel if the local cable company can provide both, then satellite should be able to as well.
If you want to see for your self my example: go to dish's website and enter an address for Perryville, MO 63755. I used the address 1034 Drury Ln, Apt #2.

I believe I heard at one time that there was legislation pending to address these situations that would allow a subscriber to access stations from adjacant DMA's but to do so the sub would have to give up the stations in his current DMA. The bottom line is that you still would be able to view only locals from one DMA. Will this legislation ever see the light of day? Probably not for a very long time, if ever.

Actually the legislation was to allow areas where borders of states are served by out of state stations, allowing those areas to receive in state stations in addition of out of state stations as long as DMA's are contiguous.

Arkansas folks got tired of having to watch Tennessee, Louisana, Mississippi and Missouri football.

Actually the legislation was to allow areas where borders of states are served by out of state stations, allowing those areas to receive in state stations in addition of out of state stations as long as DMA's are contiguous.

Arkansas folks got tired of having to watch Tennessee, Louisana, Mississippi and Missouri football.

As I've mentioned before in other threads, Prescott, Arkansas is one of the double DMA towns if your are on DirecTV as our US Congressman lives there and is on Direct. Those subs get both Little Rock, AR. & Shreveport,LA. locals. If you are on Dish Network, your DMA changes from Little Rock, AR to Shreveport, LA depending on the Nielson ratings which is a crock of s***. I live 15 miles southwest of Prescott in the next county (approximately 100 miles from each city and can't get OTA from either but forced to view Shreveport unless I move. I'm sure there are many stories like this all over the country but it really comes down to who has the most potential viewers and politicians in the area as to which way it goes. OBTW: our local cable has both LR & Shrev locals as they have a 300' tower and get both via OTA. Cable would be nice if one, they had a decent HD package but they don't and two, their basic package is $50 for about 40 channels. So there's really nothing we can do but wait and hope for changes by the FCC and take what they tell us we can have.
I feel like we live in Russia down here! Happy New Year!