Possible to only use 61.5 and not 72.5 or 77?

HockeyGoalie29

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Where my house is located, I only have a line of sight to the 61.5 satellite. I cannot get a clear view of 72.5, 77, or any of the western birds. When I first set up my account with customer service, I was assured this would not be a problem since all of the channels I'll be getting for the Turbo HD Bronze package and my locals are broadcast from 61.5.

Fast forward to the installation and the installer tells me that setting up a system using only 61.5 is impossible. He said that even though the customer service rep was correct that programming would be coming almost exclusively from 61.5, I would still need both 72.5 and 77 for the system to work. He couldn't tell me why this was, only that he wasn't allowed to set it up that way and even if he could, the receiver wouldn't be able to be activated without a signal from all 3 locations.

That doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, I'm more inclined to trust the installer who does this for a living then the customer service rep who will say anything to make a sale. I'm waiting on a call from the field manager now but figured I'd elicit some opinions so I have some idea about what my options are.

The EEPG for WA is on 72w location, which is the extended guide. Without it you wouldn't get the guide info the DVR's need.

Can you not see 110 and 119 either?

EDIT: Just saw you can't get the western stuff either.

Couldn't he get by with an abbreviated EPG instead?

Possibly. Of course it would work but I doubt it is something any installer would tell you flat out no on the install. The only way I see it is buying the equipment and installing it yourself.

I'm sure a few installers will chime in on this... I'd like to see what they say.

Our companys policy is if we can't hit all 3 signals on the eastern arch, then the job is a no line of site.

I had a bad 72 LNB for a while. Other than the short EPG and missing channels, it was fine with only 61.5. I'm using a d500, so I can verify that 77 isn't necessary, either.

I did an apartment install and could only hit the 61.5
I wasn't sure they (dish) would let me activate it so I called
They said yes, as long as the customer knows that some of the channels will be missing and sings off on it .
He was only going to be there for another 6 months and really hates (or owes $ to) the local cable co.
I can't remember if there was an issue with the epg but I don't think there was
He was bummed that espn was one of the hd channels that was missing and he was given the option to switch from
a turbo sub in order to get the "missing" it in sd but declined

Thanks for the response everyone, I still haven't heard from the field manager that was supposed to call from the dispatch office so I'm not sure what's going to happen.

So it looks like I could still receive service, except that I would be missing a couple channels from the Turbo HD Bronze package (TNT and ESPN) and may have an abbreviated guide. The Washington DC locals are on 61.5, so no worries there. As for the guide, can someone fill me in on how abbreviated it would be?

Depending on the variables, I may still decide to go with Dish if it is possible. I'd rather have Dish with no ESPN (and therefore no Monday Night Football...boo) at less than $50 a month as opposed to Comcast at over $100 a month. Even if I have to install it myself. Again, thanks for the feedback!

As for the guide, can someone fill me in on how abbreviated it would be?
I found this post which states that the EPG on 61.5 is good only for 2 days, while the EEPG on select other sats is good out to 9. With name-based recording, I don't see how that would be much of an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)