Possible to record HD on a HTPC?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IrishBrewer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 22, 2008
I have a VIP222 reciever and was thinking about building a HTPC so I can use the TV as a computer/internet browser and a DVR. The motherboard I would use has HDMI output but I need a way to get a HD signal into the HTPC to capture/record HD programming. I could build a pretty nice HTPC system for around $350.

I have a Happauge HVR-1600 card in another computer that I was considering using for the HTPC. This card has dual tuners - one is ATSC and the other is NTSC and until now I have just had the ATSC tuner hooked to an OTR antenna for HD and the NTSC tuner hooked to the TV output on my receiver. It also has a S-video input but of course that would not carry a HD signal.

I was wondering if the RF output for TV1 could be used on the ATSC input to be able to record HD from the receiver or is this output going to be scaled back to a SD resolution. If not, is there a good way to record satellite programming in HD on a HTPC?

"...is there a good way to record satellite programming in HD on a HTPC?"

No.

No.

OK, I guess I was asking for too much. Is there a bad way that would work?

If I could get this to work it would be a pretty nice setup as I could also add a $110 Blu-Ray drive and have a combo internet browser/HD-DVR/Blu-Ray player all in one system.

The rf out will not carry HD as a signal, it would be very down rezzed sd of an HD program. If that is good enough for you I'd use the s-video, it still wont be HD but it would be a better pq then from the rf. Also note that if you did get an HDMI capture card, Dish's output would prevent it from being recorded in this maner, component might give you a better result.

The rf out will not carry HD as a signal, it would be very down rezzed sd of an HD program. If that is good enough for you I'd use the s-video, it still wont be HD but it would be a better pq then from the rf. Also note that if you did get an HDMI capture card, Dish's output would prevent it from being recorded in this maner, component might give you a better result.

You mean like THIS?

Looks like it would work although these are still pretty expensive. Perhaps I could live with SD recording until they come down in price a bit. I wonder if since the component DVR goes to an analog signal and is then converted back to digital if you could then record things that would otherwise not be recordable via HDMI.

No.

wrong

I have a VIP222 reciever and was thinking about building a HTPC so I can use the TV as a computer/internet browser and a DVR. The motherboard I would use has HDMI output but I need a way to get a HD signal into the HTPC to capture/record HD programming. I could build a pretty nice HTPC system for around $350.

I have a Happauge HVR-1600 card in another computer that I was considering using for the HTPC. This card has dual tuners - one is ATSC and the other is NTSC and until now I have just had the ATSC tuner hooked to an OTR antenna for HD and the NTSC tuner hooked to the TV output on my receiver. It also has a S-video input but of course that would not carry a HD signal.

I was wondering if the RF output for TV1 could be used on the ATSC input to be able to record HD from the receiver or is this output going to be scaled back to a SD resolution. If not, is there a good way to record satellite programming in HD on a HTPC?

yes, R5000-HD High-Definition PVR but it has to be done live not pulled off a hard drive and it works with the VIP622.

You mean like THIS?

Looks like it would work although these are still pretty expensive. Perhaps I could live with SD recording until they come down in price a bit. I wonder if since the component DVR goes to an analog signal and is then converted back to digital if you could then record things that would otherwise not be recordable via HDMI.

I just got one of these last week and it works quite well--IQ is better than I had expected. Only downside is lack of 5.1 audio but that is coming in the next driver update (they said 3-4wks).

And yes, the lack of encryption on component should allow recording of any signal. I also found an HDMI to component converter that removes copy protection...tested it and it works, but am not using it for now.

Yes.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/recording-playback-equipment/137705-hauppauge-hd-pvr-dish-hd-capture.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)