Possible to use the AU9/AT9 DTV dish for DN on 118.7?

Dixit

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
ATL
So in the process of moving my 61.5 (Dish500) single LNB dish over to the newer 500+/1000+ for the 118.7 satellite since the Indian channels are on 118.7 and I keep hearing they will be phased out of the 61.5 soon (since they are already gone from the 148).

Now I just recently setup a 1000+ dish with just the 118.7 LNB (since I dont care about anything else except that bird for indian channels). Now what I hate about the dish is the fact that I have to adjust it by hand for skew, elevation, and azimuth. What I mean is when compared to the AT9/AU9 based DirecTV dish (which I also have up) that is much easier. Get a coarse adjustment in there for both elevation and azimuth and then you get to use these micro adjustment bolts that can ever so slightly move the dish left right and up down. This seems like a much easier method then trying to hand do a dish the whole way.

So what I was thinking was getting a AT9/AU9 based dish and putting the 118.7 Dish Network LNB on there since the dishes look practically similar. At least then the AT9/AU9 based dish will let me easily fine tune in the 118.7 at the best possible signal without having to deal with moving it by hand and end up moving it too much or too little etc.

Anyone got advice about this or am I just wasting my time?

Dixit

The focal length is the key. If you can get the LNB the correct distance from the pan it will work.

I agree those fine adjusting bolts on the AU9 are slick.

Yeap I just cant see myself doing the dish without it these days. When I repositioned my DTV dish (after having my roof redone) I put the DTV Dish myself on the side of the house on the trim side and got it mounted, and aligned in a matter of 1hr. If I didnt have those fine adjustments, I would be there for hours.

I just recently aligned a 118.7 on the 1000+ dish and its such a pain, the littlest move causes the signal meter to move from like 50 to 25. I just barely touched it. Its so hard to fine tune that especially since the 118.7 is an FSS base and low powered Satellite.

As far as focal length, I was thinking of using the actual bar that the 500+/1000+ comes with and just mount that on the AU9/AT9 dish. Mainly because the AU9/AT9 bar for the LNB wont work since the end where the LNB mounts is actually formed larger opening for the 5LNB mount to attach to. I know these AU9/AT9 dishes can be bought new on solidsignal for like $65 new without the LNB.

My last question though would be is that do I need to bother with this just to move from 61.5 to 118.7. I havent seen any hard set word on when the Indian (Hindi Mega pack that is) will be finally removed from the 61.5.

Dixit

Got it.

But those fine adjustment for elevation and azimuth would be money in locking into the peak of 118.7 very easily. I gotta take a look at AU9/AT9 dish and the Dish Network + dish to see if this is possible, if so this will make the alignment a snap.

Dixit

Ahhhhh, didnt know that. So really I should just need to source out a 1000.4 dish and get the 118.7 LNB and mount it straight up and that way I got the fine tuning adjustments. Thanks dahenny.

Dixit

AFIK, officially, Dish does not install a 118 only dish and LNBF, but this is not to say that some retailers may, although they should not. If a customer wants internationals only, then the Dish 500+ is to be installed along with the 119 & 110 LNBF, and you are to peak for 119 and a the other sat reception will take care of themselves, or in other words, the system is engineered to peak at 119. Dish does not want any kind of attempt to peak relative to the other sats. This messes with the way it was engineered and the long range plan years ahead. I know there my be some installs where you may have to peak beyond 119, but it should not be the rule.

I know that you are only looking at 118, but your criticism regarding the "pain" in peaking 118 isn't really fair, since Dish does not want peaking at 118, but rather 119 thereby eliminating the frustration of peaking to 118 and other sats on the single dish. 118 is leased capacity. The long term (years down the road) plan is technology allowing (better sats and compression) more channels at the owned capacity at 119 & 110 as 118 will end its usefulness years down the road and must revert to Canadian use. That is why Dish wants the peak at 119. The additional LNBF's for internationals services only installs also allow Dish to add or move , if they have to, internationals--perhaps only a few channels--to the core sats at 119 &110. This gives them flexibility of using 3 sats for internationals should it come to, say one transponder failing at 118. It would be a cram, but it does allow for a fall back especially with Echo XIV being launched.