Possible use for 942?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rolodoc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
I have the chance to inherit a brand new 942, never activated before. I have never subscribed to satellite TV before. Some questions for best use of the 942:

1. Can I hook up OTA antenna and use it just as OTA HD DVR (without subscribing to Dish) if it has not been activated?
2. If #1 is not possible because of no satellite service, can I subscribe only to Family pack for $19.99, hook up OTA antenna and use it as OTA HD DVR?
3. If I take option #2, can I get OTA EPG for NBR recording, or is OTA HD DVR recording like using a VCR timer manually setting the channel and time?
4. Do I have to subscribe to Dish locals to get OTA EPG?
5. What additional fees are needed besides the monthly program package if the 942 is owned and not leased? (HD fee, DVR fee, lease fee, receiver fee???)
6. Can I still order Dish SD service and activate a 942? (I know Dish won't activate 942 for HD)

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for quick reply.

If I subscribe to Dish locals for OTA EPG, can I then record OTA local HD programs by NBR?

With owned 942 and Dish SD package, do I need to pay a $6 HD fee since I don't have HD package?

942 will work for at least aonther 2 years.

I called Dish yesterday because i want to sell mine and dont want anyone to get a doorstop. The rep put me on hold and said she confirmed with the supervisor that you can still get all the programming except for 5 new HD channels which BTW are also MPEG2 with MPEG4 broadcast flags (that 942 cnat read) to make the turkeys who get 622s believe they're in for something special.

No thank you, keeping my 942.

Kandiru said:
942 will work for at least aonther 2 years.

I called Dish yesterday because i want to sell mine and dont want anyone to get a doorstop. The rep put me on hold and said she confirmed with the supervisor that you can still get all the programming except for 5 new HD channels which BTW are also MPEG2 with MPEG4 broadcast flags (that 942 cnat read) to make the turkeys who get 622s believe they're in for something special.

No thank you, keeping my 942.

Yes, YOU can get the programming, but will the next guy get it. This is where Scott and indications from others have been that they will not turn on any of the HD channels, Mpeg 2 or 4.

If someone has the balls to remove their 811 or 942 from their acoount and reactivate, I'd love to know the outcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)