Possibly converting from the pizza dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Lately I have become very disgusted with both D*'s and E*'s picture quality. I have a 36" sony Wega XBR (EDTV) and to other sony 32" Wegas (SDTV). On my 36", I can see macroblocking from like 15 ft. away on almost all of the channels (except for the shopping channels. for some reason, they give the shopping channels more bandwidth than the channels that people actually care about). Anyhow, I have been looking into a 4dtv C-Ku system from a local dealer for $1700 (including installation with a 10ft dish (mesh, but I am not sure what brand). I have one problem though, my dreaded HOA. You wouldn't believe the crap they gave me when I put up my Phase III and Dish 500 up, so I just could imagine what they would do if they saw a 10 foot dish sticking out above my roof for the whole neighborhood to see:rolleyes:. I was wondering if there was a aesthetic way for me to disguise my dish, or am I just out of luck (the only place I can see the Clarke's Belt is either from my front lawn or on a 15ft. pole sticking out over my roof.)

Thanks

You will love the picture, but not sure what to tell you about the install, some dealers will do it for you at your own risk, though if you get busted then that would suck big time, the pole sounds better than the front lawn, maybe it can be placed way in the back yard so it's hard to see from the road? not sure how you can pull that off, never know if somebody will rat on you also...

Thanks for your suggestion. One big problem, I am on a corner lot where you can see basically all of my property from the road. I do, however, have some american hollies that I just planted to block off some of the snooping neghbors:mad: The neighbor to the right of me doesn't give a crap what I do, but my backyard neighbor is one of the HOA directors (lucky me :rolleyes:). Anyhow, next tuesday I will go to the HOA board meeting and fill out one of their useless architechural approval forms. If all goes well, I think I can get by with at 6ft. pole in the far northeast corner of my lawn. If not, I'll have to come up with some crazy scheme like a community cable system,:D . yeah right! All the people in my area are comcast butt kissers.

Hide it....

kdarcangelis870 said:
Lately I have become very disgusted with both D*'s and E*'s picture quality. I have a 36" sony Wega XBR (EDTV) and to other sony 32" Wegas (SDTV). On my 36", I can see macroblocking from like 15 ft. away on almost all of the channels (except for the shopping channels. for some reason, they give the shopping channels more bandwidth than the channels that people actually care about). Anyhow, I have been looking into a 4dtv C-Ku system from a local dealer for $1700 (including installation with a 10ft dish (mesh, but I am not sure what brand). I have one problem though, my dreaded HOA. You wouldn't believe the crap they gave me when I put up my Phase III and Dish 500 up, so I just could imagine what they would do if they saw a 10 foot dish sticking out above my roof for the whole neighborhood to see:rolleyes:. I was wondering if there was a aesthetic way for me to disguise my dish, or am I just out of luck (the only place I can see the Clarke's Belt is either from my front lawn or on a 15ft. pole sticking out over my roof.)

Thanks

there used to be a company that made an umbrella like affair that made the BUD look like an Umbrella over a patio table...have no idea if they are still around. Now a 15 ft high umbrella might cause some suspicion!! Especially when it begins to move!!!!

Great story:

A friend caught some baloney from his association (which they are not supposed to do) and was told to cover his 18" D* dish up. He bought one of those fake Rock things and mounted the whole affair on the side of his house, thus following the rules...LOOKS LIKE THE HOUSE HAS A PIMPLE!

I love it!!!! The assocition folks are pissed!
Jeff

Last edited:
I've got my dish on a 10.5 ft pole, with 7 ft. out of the ground. I thought about painting it so it would look like a big sun flower. One of my coworkers suggested painting it to look like a giant eyeball. If I had the slightest bit of artistic ability, I might try it. Oh well. It's crap like this that will forever keep me from living anywhere that has an HOA. Good luck with the board meeting.

kdarcangelis870 said:

Thanks

If it's bigger than 1m they can and most likely will, given your past history with them, force you to remove it.

If it is at possible, go with the BUD! You will not be sorry. The dsr-922 looks great on c-band, even SD looks great! Plus a lot of free channels and feeds, cheap subscription rates and great audio.

As for me, we do not have an official home owner's association, but my neighbors think they are presidents of one. They give me a bunch of @#^&%*#@! all the time about my bud. It is a 7.5' black mesh mounted out back mostly out of view, 7 feet above ground with pvc conduit in the ground for the actuator and coax cables. It is a good clean install. They still fuss. one of them is an LSD addict
(Little silly dish) Ha Ha. the other is an analog cable subscriber and they think the only reason people have "those big dishes" is too steal programming-a remark made by one of them.

I tried to explain how the system works and how tv broadcasting works and how it is legal to receive tv programming that is not scrambled or encrypted. That there is a lot of tv channels, audio channels, radio stations, that are free and legal to enjoy. They do not believe me.

Oh well, i tried. Trucker

Braiwashed Pizza guys!

truckracer said:
If it is at possible, go with the BUD! You will not be sorry. The dsr-922 looks great on c-band, even SD looks great! Plus a lot of free channels and feeds, cheap subscription rates and great audio.
As for me, we do not have an official home owner's association, but my neighbors think they are presidents of one. They give me a bunch of @#^&%*#@! all the time about my bud. It is a 7.5' black mesh mounted out back mostly out of view, 7 feet above ground with pvc conduit in the ground for the actuator and coax cables. It is a good clean install. They still fuss. one of them is an LSD addict
(Little silly dish) Ha Ha. the other is an analog cable subscriber and they think the only reason people have "those big dishes" is too steal programming-a remark made by one of them.
I tried to explain how the system works and how tv broadcasting works and how it is legal to receive tv programming that is not scrambled or encrypted. That there is a lot of tv channels, audio channels, radio stations, that are free and legal to enjoy. They do not believe me.
Oh well, i tried. Trucker

Or Braindead!!! I would never live where there is an association to tell me what I can/can't do....especially on my 1/3 acre lot! I did talk with my neighbor when i first moved in as a nice gesture when I moved in with the dish ready to install...been friends ever since!

I also live on the corner of a Cul de sac, but you cannot see the dish until you get into the Cul de Sac...Other neighbors never believed it was active until it began moving around (for FTA mostly) this month. My C-band viewing has also expanded to other sats since my new aquisations. IT IS ALIVE said one lady friend!:D

BTW: I love the sunflower idea.....or you could tell them you are looking for "clear" paint to make it transparent...should keep them busy for a while! Or you could tell them it is a transmitter of microwave and you will fry them if they do not get off your back!

jeff

Last edited:
Tough luck on the HOA. It kind of depends where your house is on the lot etc, but are you sure you can't shoot over the house? I guess it doesn't make much difference depending on the limitations of your HOA.

My house faces south. I have the BUD near the North West corner of my lot and it shoots over my house. No HOA here so I could plant it in the middle of my driveway if I wanted :).

Like I said, next tuesday I will try to get it approved at the HOA meeting. I know what will happen though. For special circumstances like mine, they make you go to each neighbor around you that can possibly see the dish and have them sign the approval form. And I have a lot of neghbors that can see it! My house backs up to a small pond, but on the other side on it there are at least 7-8 houses that have a clear view of the dish location. Right now I am just pulling the hair out of my head watching major leaque on my 36" wega.:eek:

Here are some pictures of my site survey. All of the pictures facing the house are facing south. The pictures facing the pond are facing north. I am in southwest Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    740.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    744.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    622.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 167
Looking good!

kdarcangelis870 said:
Here are some pictures of my site survey. All of the pictures facing the house are facing south. The pictures facing the pond are facing north. I am in southwest Florida.

Looks good from here with very little chance of obstructions! best of luck with the HO group and neighbors!
jeff

Just my opinion, But I would place the dish on a large pole above the roof line in between the 2 houses in picture 5.

Last edited:
kdarcangelis870 said:
Like I said, next tuesday I will try to get it approved at the HOA meeting. I know what will happen though. For special circumstances like mine, they make you go to each neighbor around you that can possibly see the dish and have them sign the approval form. And I have a lot of neghbors that can see it! My house backs up to a small pond, but on the other side on it there are at least 7-8 houses that have a clear view of the dish location. Right now I am just pulling the hair out of my head watching major leaque on my 36" wega.:eek:

Maybe through a block party BBQ, and get people to sign the paper when there drunk lol...

I've heard about people putting their dish's in large fiberglass enclosures that resemble sheds. The fiberglass won't affect c-band reception.

A Shed?

mkm4 said:
I've heard about people putting their dish's in large fiberglass enclosures that resemble sheds. The fiberglass won't affect c-band reception.

Perhaps said shed would resemble my avatar.....really keep the HO happy!
Jeff

Microwaving the HO

You know, if you point your BUD at W3 ...you probably have a better eastern target...(In Reno, W3 is pretty low in the east! )or so....who ever is in the path will be looking right down the barell (as such) and they might even believe you will cook them!!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts