Possibly looking to switch, MAYBE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My wife is having some issues with her 1 year and 3 month old iPhone 4S. For one she's not liking that it will no hold a charge like it used to, despite me telling her that most Li-ion batteries are only good for about a year before they start showing this issue. Also, her camera shutter will not open on the rear camera any more and even with AppleCare we will have to make a trip to an Apple store several hours away to get it fixed.

Both of our upgrades are due in June and she mentioned this morning possibly looking at an Android phone. I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued about the newer Android devices as well. One thing Apple irritates me on is they just don't seem to want to innovate like they used to on their phones. We like our iPhones but we may end up switching in June; who knows.

Those with the Galaxy SIII; what do you think of it? How's the battery life? Brand new and for about a year both of us could go all day using our iPhones and we would still have 40% left at the end of the day.

I know the Note 3 and the GS4 is coming soon.

An issue I have with Android is that Google REQUIRES a gmail account for anything. I do wish they would allow any email address.

My wife is having some issues with her 1 year and 3 month old iPhone 4S. For one she's not liking that it will no hold a charge like it used to, despite me telling her that most Li-ion batteries are only good for about a year before they start showing this issue. Also, her camera shutter will not open on the rear camera any more and even with AppleCare we will have to make a trip to an Apple store several hours away to get it fixed.

Still probably worth it to get it fixed for possible resale, especially if it is a free fix via applecare.

Still probably worth it to get it fixed for possible resale, especially if it is a free fix via applecare.

Oh yeah, we are going to get it fixed for sure. Like I said we do like the iPhones. I just never thought I would hear her mention wanting to look at an Android phone come June.

My wife wanted to look outside of the iPhone and I wish that I would have never let her switch. She is already asking what it would cost to switch back to an iPhone and she still have 1 year before she can get a full discount on the iPhone.

If you both have Macs then I think you would be happier with the iPhone just for the integration between both OS's. The other thing that is disappointing in Android is they still haven't fixed the issue of the providers rolling out the new updates. When I purchased my HTC One X it was the flagship phone from AT&T and it still has not seen the Jelly Bean update.

Both of our upgrades are due in June and she mentioned this morning possibly looking at an Android phone. I have to admit I'm kind of intrigued about the newer Android devices as well. One thing Apple irritates me on is they just don't seem to want to innovate like they used to on their phones. We like our iPhones but we may end up switching in June; who knows.

Those with the Galaxy SIII; what do you think of it? How's the battery life? Brand new and for about a year both of us could go all day using our iPhones and we would still have 40% left at the end of the day.

I know the Note 3 and the GS4 is coming soon.

An issue I have with Android is that Google REQUIRES a gmail account for anything. I do wish they would allow any email address.

I like my S3 on att. Between 4-5 calls and 20 or more texts and probably 15 or so emails, I end up around 35-40% on the battery at 9oclock each night

Sent from my blazing fast galaxy s3 using SatelliteGuys

I would say since you have macs and are happy with the iPhone, stick with the iPhone.

If you do decide to change, I would not let any ill feelings towards Microsoft put you off from their new mobile platform without at least giving it an honest look. You might very well be surprised.

If you do decide to go with android, the S3 is a good choice. I had decent battery life out of mine (not as good as I got with my iphone 5, but on par with my 8x), and the hardware is good.

What carrier are you with (may have missed it). If you are with Verizon, the Droid DNA is also a fantastic set.

See that's my main issue with Android; the way updates roll out. I've told my wife this too as we do have the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 that I've been playing with. Samsung announced a few months back that they are updating that line to JB.

I'm hoping she's just upset at the way the battery life has been on her iPhone dwindling down like it has. I told her I can easily replace the battery in hers. Mine needs to be replaced too. I have no problems opening up the phones to do that.

We do have Verizon.

See that's my main issue with Android; the way updates roll out. I've told my wife this too as we do have the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 that I've been playing with. Samsung announced a few months back that they are updating that line to JB.

I'm hoping she's just upset at the way the battery life has been on her iPhone dwindling down like it has. I told her I can easily replace the battery in hers. Mine needs to be replaced too. I have no problems opening up the phones to do that.

We do have Verizon.

Yeah you might take a look at the HTC 8x as well they make some nice WP8 devices but HTC make some nice Android hardware as well.

If you do go Android then I would really look at the Nexus line if you are wanting to make sure updates keep coming.

If you do go Android then I would really look at the Nexus line if you are wanting to make sure updates keep coming.
I agree, however with Verizon, he would be a gen behind the current Nexus model, which is something to consider.

If Apple Care is included, they can easily put in a new battery.
Changing the battery yourself isn't hard, just fiddly (under $10 for parts).
...and you'll need a pentalobe screwdriver in addition to tiny Philips.

Have a friend who recently replaced his EVO with an S3 on Sprint.
Where he used to carry two charged spare batteries, he now lives all day without.

I'm giving serious thought to an Android.
Google Nexus 4 is comparable to the S3 in many ways.
...assuming you want to go with a GSM carrier.
And first in line for OS updates. ;)
The unlocked 16gb handset is $350, works on Tmobile 1700mhz frequencies, AT&T, and all international GSM providers.
With no contract, I would run it on Straight Talk, or maybe Tmobile (prepaid).
Right now, the resale value would be about 100% if you didn't like it. ;)
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)