Possibly moving to D* from E* and need some info/advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gretschdrum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Hi D* gang,

I'm currently with E* but may be jumping to D* for sports packaging. I'm wondering a few things and hoping you guys can help me out.

Does D* have an Eastern Arc like E*? I'm just concerned that I may not have LOS to the SW. If D* has other LOS options please let me know. I'd be interested in their comparable package of AT250 with HD plus NHL CI. Would it be a 3LNB dish ala E*? FYI, I'm in the North Atlanta area if you need that info.

Also, for those D* subs that have had E* how would you compare their rain fade issues? I suppose you'd want to make comparisions only if both providers' dishes were peaked correctly just so you could have an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi D* gang,

I'm currently with E* but may be jumping to D* for sports packaging. I'm wondering a few things and hoping you guys can help me out.

Does D* have an Eastern Arc like E*? I'm just concerned that I may not have LOS to the SW. If D* has other LOS options please let me know. I'd be interested in their comparable package of AT250 with HD plus NHL CI. Would it be a 3LNB dish ala E*? FYI, I'm in the North Atlanta area if you need that info.

Also, for those D* subs that have had E* how would you compare their rain fade issues? I suppose you'd want to make comparisions only if both providers' dishes were peaked correctly just so you could have an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks,

Phil

D* does NOT have an eastern arc, no need for it.
If your in Atlanta you'll be fine, you only need to get the 99,101 and 103 sats.

E* spreads thier stuff all over the place is why they need special provisions.

You'll have to decide on the package that suits your needs.

DIRECTV: English Packages

D* does NOT have an eastern arc, no need for it.
If your in Atlanta you'll be fine, you only need to get the 99,101 and 103 sats.

E* spreads thier stuff all over the place is why they need special provisions.

You'll have to decide on the package that suits your needs.

DIRECTV: English Packages

Jimbo, regarding the EA question, it's not a matter of D* needing another arc. It's a matter of ME needing another LOS option if I want to go with D*. :D As of now, I don't have a clear LOS for D*.

Nothing you can do then. D* uses the same satellies for everyone.

I doubt that will ever change. They can cover the Entire USA with their setup.

Dish Network can't. That why they have Eastern and Western Arc setups.

Jimbo, regarding the EA question, it's not a matter of D* needing another arc. It's a matter of ME needing another LOS option if I want to go with D*. :D As of now, I don't have a clear LOS for D*.

Can you go to the end of your property line and get a clear LOS ?

The length of coax is flexible.

Dish Network can't. That why they have Eastern and Western Arc setups.
They did for a long time. The issue was that with locals coming in both Puerto Rico and Hawaii, they needed broader coverage than a single slot offers.

Futher, as the OP notes, DIRECTV doesn't reach all of the US for those who only have East facing LOS.

Also, for those D* subs that have had E* how would you compare their rain fade issues?
The first of all DBS channels to disappear will be the DIRECTV HD channels. The only option for improving that situation during hurricane season is to try the AK/HI dish setup. DISH offers significantly greater flexibility in dish configurations.

They did for a long time. The issue was that with locals coming in both Puerto Rico and Hawaii, they needed broader coverage than a single slot offers.

Futher, as the OP notes, DIRECTV doesn't reach all of the US for those who only have East facing LOS.
Yea using the 110 and 119 for SD customers. Northeastern USA customers NEVER could use the 129 at all. EVER!

The first of all DBS channels to disappear will be the DIRECTV HD channels. The only option for improving that situation during hurricane season is to try the AK/HI dish setup. DISH offers significantly greater flexibility in dish configurations.
Thats such BS,, I can't ever use the 1000.2 dish in the northeast, so I have 1 choice, the 1000.4.

So how is that anymore flexible then D*?
Its not?

You can't pick if you want 1000.2 or a 1000.4 based on Line of site.
Its based on your locals.

Yea the same can be said for those of us that only have west facing line of sight.
Thats doesn't mean E* going to let me use the 1000.2. Because they won't!
Unless I buy all the equipment install it myself and don't want my locals.
Then sure some may have options.:rolleyes:

So how is that anymore flexible then D*?
Its not?
You run the risk in every state in the nation of not having a good view of 101W and if you don't, you're done. If you hadn't had access to 101W, where would you be?

DISH gives you two shots at service and they do it with sturdy Ku signals. What's so horrible about that?

?

DISH gives you two shots at service and they do it with sturdy Ku signals. What's so horrible about that?
No they don't. Get your facts straight!.
Your either in an Eastern Arc Market DMA or Western Arc DMA. You cannot pick and choose your DMA Legally.
Because of Line of sight issues.

If I can't get a signal with Eastern Arc setup, E* isn't going to put up a 1000.2 setup. They are going to tell me I'm SOL!

Here's some info.

The company names are DIRECTV and DISH NETWORK, not D* and E*. I know, I know DISH NETWORK was owned by ECHOSTAR a long time ago, but it's not anymore.

Here's some info.

The company names are DIRECTV and DISH NETWORK, not D* and E*. I know, I know DISH NETWORK was owned by ECHOSTAR a long time ago, but it's not anymore.

Thanks Jackass. Oh, I know, I know you used to be Jackass a long time ago but it's Johns70 now. :D

Way to contribute something meaningful to the thread.

PLONK! :rant:

When your pointing a satellite at a higher elevation then, in sense, you get better LOS. (to avoid trees, buildings, etc.)

Compare your elevation with your location with D* & E*.

Mine is
E*: 35.9°
D*: 42

Which ones higher?
Speaks for itself

It doesnt matter if E* has 2 or 10 satellites. If they dont shot high enough then your gonna get fewer LOS's.

When your pointing a satellite at a higher elevation then, in sense, you get better LOS. (to avoid trees, buildings, etc.)

Compare your elevation with your location with D* & E*.

Mine is
E*: 35.9°
D*: 42

Which ones higher?
Speaks for itself

It doesnt matter if E* has 2 or 10 satellites. If they dont shot high enough then your gonna get fewer LOS's.

On the other hand, sometimes being higher isn't a help at all .... sometimes the higher you go the more trees you get into :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)