Possibly switching to Dish need more info

lcander

Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Illinois
We're currently considering switching from DTV taking advantage of the current 'Price Lock' offer. I had some questions that needed clarification. Is the DVR that is included with this offer the Hopper with Sling?
Is it correct that I can provide my own receiver for a second TV and avoid the charge for a second TV? If that is so, what should I be aware of in buying a second receiver? Is there a place to check to see that it is 'legal' to be put on an account? I was thinking of maybe a VIP 211 K or Z to have the ability to use it as another DVR or would a Joey/SuperJoey be a better option?

Is it possible with this equipment to send recorded shows to a computer/laptop/tablet? Can this then be saved for backup or future viewing in case the Hopper would fail?

Is there anything else I should consider about making this switch? Are there really no other charges other than the price of the programming package? I have been happy with the programming on DTV, Just their prices have escalated so and I can take advantage of this price lock saving quite a bit for similar programming. I've read some good reviews of the Hopper (and of course some negatives) Also haven't figured out a way to send my Genie recorded programs to a computer, laptop or tablet.

Thanks for the help

1. Yes Hopper with Sling
2. No you can not avoid any outlet fees. There is no receiver fee on the first receiver, but owned or from DISH the cost is the same for each outlet thereafter for the receiver you are using. Keep in mind there is a whole home fee just as all providers have.
3. Yes programs can be transferred to an Ipad or Android tablet. No to a computer or laptop.

You can only have Hopper/Joey receivers installed in your home if you go the Hopper route. The 211Z can be purchased by you, it can be activated but it is meant to be in an RV or perhaps a second home. The installer will not install in in the house with the Hopper system.

Other info, DISH does not broadcast the RSN's (Local sports networks) in HD 24hrs. They broadcast the pro games (Baseball, Hockey, Basketball) in HD however but only for the live game, not the reruns of the gams. Some networks will have the pre game show or part of it in HD, same with the post game shows. Most other non pro games will be in SD.

Hopper with Sling: Yes

Avoid charge for second TV: No. There is no benefit to purchasing, the $7 (211/Joey) or $10 (Super Joey) monthly fee will apply. The ONLY advantage to purchasing is to avoid a term commitment, but your already committed as part of the deal.

Record to PC/Tablet: Not really. Programs can be transferred to an apple/andorid tablet(NOT a PC), but it's not meant as a archive method. More for "I'm on a long flight" viewing. You can add an external hard drive(EHD) and archive programs to the EHD. The EHD is tied to your account, not and individual receiver. You can't watch from a computer, but if the Hopper is replaced or upgraded the recordings on the EHD will be available to the new receiver.

You can also add your own powered external hard drive to the Hopper and transfer recordings to it for archiving and back up in case of Hopper failure. There is no charge, once or monthly, for this option.

Reactions: Tampa8
1. Yes Hopper with Sling
2. No you can not avoid any outlet fees. There is no receiver fee on the first receiver, but owned or from DISH the cost is the same for each outlet thereafter for the receiver you are using. Keep in mind there is a whole home fee just as all providers have.
3. Yes programs can be transferred to an Ipad or Android tablet. No to a computer or laptop.

You can only have Hopper/Joey receivers installed in your home if you go the Hopper route. The 211Z can be purchased by you, it can be activated but it is meant to be in an RV or perhaps a second home. The installer will not install in in the house with the Hopper system.

Other info, DISH does not broadcast the RSN's (Local sports networks) in HD 24hrs. They broadcast the pro games (Baseball, Hockey, Basketball) in HD however but only for the live game, not the reruns of the gams. Some networks will have the pre game show or part of it in HD, same with the post game shows. Most other non pro games will be in SD.
Dish will install the 211z for you at your House.
They offered to do such with my system.
As long as I had the Receiver at the time they installed my Hopper system, they would have hooked it up free of charge.

Reactions: navychop
As long as I had the Receiver at the time they installed my Hopper system, they would have hooked it up free of charge.
Careful offering that advice. Some techs might, but in reality they are not supposed to(this might be a little strong worded for what it really is). The additional 211 is in theory for the RV on Hopper accounts, not home accounts. Maybe a vacation home, but not the same as the Hopper location, so if a technician offers to do it, it is likely their own free will, not SOP.

It wasn't the Tech it was Dish.
I've never read anywhere that a 211 isn't aloud to be installed with Hopper equipment.

Dish even has a Wiring diagram for it.

uploadfromtaptalk1440659327360.png

I respectfully question that. What does the rest of that policy you posted say..... We are aware of the diagram it has been around for a long time. And adding (up to two I believe) 211 receivers on the same account is allowed. But installing the 211 in the home with Hopper system has not been allowed, so far you are about the only person on the forum to say DISH would have done that. Since they didn't actually install it going by your post, I'm saying they would not have.

Last edited:
I respectfully question that. What does the rest of that policy you posted say.....

http://www.satellitesolutions.com/dishnetwork/hopper-and-joey-faq.asp

And I've yet seen a policy posted stating the 211 isn't aloud to be hooked up on the same system as a hopper.

When I ordered my Dish system, they said they will sell me the 211 for $199 installed.
I said no because I didn't want to spend $200 right then.

Dish then said if I bought the 211 on my own before the install date, the tech will install it free of charge.

Do you have a Dish policy stating me hooking up a 211 to my Home Hopper system is against TERMS of Service, and is against policy?

When I ordered my Dish system, they said they will sell me the 211 for $199 installed.
I said no because I didn't want to spend $200 right then.
Good, since that is more than twice of what it would cost you elsewhere. And the damn thing is not worth arguing about.

Reactions: Troch77
Agree.
And I'm not arguing, I know what I was told, and I know what the tech said when he installed my Hopper system.

But yes $199 was nuts.
It was less, I paid $90 for it, and $40 for the DPP44 with PI brand New.

Considering this is an internal policy, you will not find one on the Internet. You can install at home, but the technicians are not suppose to. They are not gonna get deemed or lose their job if they do, but it is highly discouraged. If they want to do it, outside their standard work order, that is on them, and he sales rep making that claim, as stated, sounds like was trying to lock a sale in. The whole reason the 211 was considered, and why no other receivers are authorized on a hopper account, was because auto dish's typically require a 211 receiver. Dish technicians do absolutely nothing with RVs. That is left for the customer to set up. When I was leaving they were talking about adding an RV setup assist feature.. Not sure if it ever did get completed as a dish smart home service or not, but still not under Standard which is what we are talking about here. Again, these are not external policies that the customer must abide by, these are all internal and apply only to the employees.

Reactions: Troch77
Considering this is an internal policy, you will not find one on the Internet. You can install at home, but the technicians are not suppose to. They are not gonna get deemed or lose their job if they do, but it is highly discouraged. If they want to do it, outside their standard work order, that is on them, and he sales rep making that claim, as stated, sounds like was trying to lock a sale in. The whole reason the 211 was considered, and why no other receivers are authorized on a hopper account, was because auto dish's typically require a 211 receiver. Dish technicians do absolutely nothing with RVs. That is left for the customer to set up. When I was leaving they were talking about adding an RV setup assist feature.. Not sure if it ever did get completed as a dish smart home service or not, but still not under Standard which is what we are talking about here. Again, these are not external policies that the customer must abide by, these are all internal and apply only to the employees.
Apparently Dish employees don't follow this. Because they were the ones suggesting me having the 211 when Tech arrives so he could install it for free since 6 rooms were included at no addtional cost and 211 required an addtion switch.

All I said, is I'll see what I can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts