Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got a 622? Please use this thread to give us your review of the 622!

Know another site with a 622 review? Please post a link to the review here!

The more people that give honest feedback on the 622 the more you help others sitting on the fence who are wondering what to do!

Thanks for being a SatelliteGuy! :D

Well after all I went through to get this stupid thing I am very happy so far. I previously had a 921 which needed to be rebooted every 2 days and a 522. The interface is slick and extremely quick. Guide and channel changing feels like it is quicker than my 921. Have not had any audio drop outs yet which is a relief. It still takes a while to boot but it is a heck of a lot quicker than my 921. Dish Home I never used before because it was not supported on my 921 door stop. (it was to slow on my 522) It is very speedy and usable with this 622. The only negative comment I have so far is you don't want to be on the phone when it boots and tries to dial out. My ear is still ringing. All in all with the slick interface, quickness and lack of bugs I am very impressed.............................

Finally I was home at 9:30, and got to crackin' on the install.

I had some more pictures but they turned out blurry. Guess I was sleepy:eek2:

Here she is in the box:
6221Small.jpg

I did take pictures of what's included, but you've seen that stuff before. No cables came with mine, not component or HDMI or DVI-HDMI. Just coax.

Ran into a problem putting it into the entertainment center... the DPP diplexer made it too deep!
6228Small.jpg

Not a problem though. Say hello to my little friend! :D
6229Small.jpg

Now that's better!
62210Small.jpg

I dont have it activated yet, but it's all hooked up. Havent turned it on, I have to finish my phone wiring. For some reason I'm having a hard time converting the regular cat3 phone line to cat5, I have it punched down right everywhere but I still dont get a dial tone. :confused:

62211Small.jpg

Probably should finish that tonight so the Ghestappo doesn't complain about not having a phone connected.

Last edited:
Well I installed my 622 last night. As others have mentioned when you first plug it in and get started it sounds like a harrier jet taking off.

Not having prior experience with a dual tuner reciever I stumbled out of the block trying to get both sat feeds working. Dish provides a little "splitter" that looks like you can just connect it to your single feed and it will split the signal for your 622. Obviously that is not what it does and I could not see all three sats on both tuners. I was eventually able to get around the problem by using the sat feed to one of my old 301's that won't be used anymore. Then after running a new check switch I could see all 3 sats on both tuners.

After that I tried to swicht the component output from the default 480p to 1080i and the box would crash each time and revert back to 480p. Note: once I got my reciever activated by tech support I was able to get it changed to 1080i with no problems.

One really frustrating fault with the 622 is during the activation with tech support it kept forcing me to "test my phone line." The only problem was that I was on the line with tech support and it couldn't check the line. The tech support csr was unable to "kill" this message and I had to hang up and start the process over.

So far with the limited time I have spent with the box I am pleased. The coaxial feed to tv2 is subpar quality--as expected--but the quality doesn't need to be perfect for Dora the Explorere and Go Diego Go.

I set it to record Tombstone off of Showtime at 3am and it seemed to work fine.

I may come back and edit this post after this weekend when I have had more time to test it out.

I forgot to add scanning for local digital channels is lightning fast compared with other digital tuners I have used in the past.

Last edited:
The "splitter" as you call it is a seperator that can split a single feed into two but only with Dish Pro Plus equipment such as a DPP44 switch.

I've had mine active for a bit over 24 hrs now. It is currently undergoing it's second spontaneous reboot, a la 921. First reboot happened while viewing OTA HD.

The 622 was having trouble with the signal, it was breaking up and dropping intermittently. It then restarted. The 942 never had a problem with the signal, nor did the 211.

Just now I was watching TNTHD. Reboot for no apparent reason.

I'll note that I don't hear it (the fan) running outside of the initial receiver power on. I suspect that is a system check for fan failure.

Last edited:
Well, I’ve had mine for 31 hours and the only problems I’ve had were not the units fault. The HDMI didn’t want to work well, kept cutting out, so I switched ends with the cable and it seems alright now. I was also getting a crackling sound in the audio but discovered that both input cables from the dishes were a bit loose, when I tightened them it seemed to take care of that. So far so good. :D

Install was quick and easy, just disconnected my 721 and hooked it up. Called Dish, had an excellent CSR (used regular dish number, but went to the tech support option), she activated the 622, removed the 721, and changed my programming to DishHD Platinum.

I then asked if I could get my distants in HD. I already knew the answer but thought what the hell. She put me on hold, and came back and said unfortunately not. She did say she will pass along that I told her based on current rulings, distant subs should get HD as well.

As for the 622 itself, I think it is great. I'll be buying another one as soon as my retailer gets a few more in stock.

Ok, a little over a day since I've had it and shes up and running well. Like others, my install went smoothly if only I could have talked to the good CSR first. Here's how it went.

Called the first time, went for Tech Support. Guy was real nice, was doing everything and then the "computer wouldnt let him" close out my ticket/install because I wasnt a technician. He put me on hold a couple times "calling other departments" to see what could be done because he needed some "codes" to finish it out. He comes back on the line to be the bearer of bad news and that I cant activate unless im a technician because "it would violate company policy and I cant break the rules" and "its a receiver worth $1500 so we have to make sure its professionally installed". I dont know about you guys, but if Sat installs are anything like IT, real "professionals" arent exactly as abundant as you might think. I complained and asked to speak with his manager, but denied. I tried to explain that it was bunk that I would pay for the platinum package and have a receiver sitting here for another month {cant be here on the 21st anymore for origional install date} and not be able to watch what im paying for. No luck.

Called again, asked for Programming. Got a fast talking lady who thought I was an installer - I told her i needed to activate a 622 receiver. She asked a bunch of questions like what channel was tv 2 on (60) was there a phone line plugged in, what the receiver ID was , etc. She even asked to confirm the customer's phone. I said "i think the guys number is ..." :D Shortly after, it was activated....

Called a third time to confirm my platinum package. They said I could keep my existing receivers (811 and 322) and with the platinum + locals it would be ~$120 a month. I told them I was undecided about returning so soon. As soon as I hung up, all the channels came on.

Finished wiring up my OTA HD antenna coax, and not using an amplifier with the 811 it had a hard time picking up locals. I dont know why, I live 10 minutes from all the antennas where they rebroadcast from, and have line of sight. There's a huge antenna in my attic for UHF/VHF/FM. My TV picked them all up (sony XBR960) but the 811 sucked at best. I went in the 622's setup and scanned for OTA HD channels, it found 40. Holy cow! Sure enough, all the channels have 85% or better strength, change faster than on the 811, and IMO look better. Watched a little ice skating in HD.

Dont forget to change your reciever out of dual mode if you want to record a tv show on tv1 and watch something else on tv1 also. Since I have OTA antenna, I can record 3 HD shows at once and watch something pre-recorded:D

Overall, I'm pleased with the receiver so far. Component cables are indescriminate from my dvi-hdmi monster cable on the 811 (I know, monster - yech). Let me know if I can help answer any questions :)

My setup as of right now:
house124Small.jpg

Olympics in HD OTA:
house126Small.jpg

I installed my 622 last night. I just unplugged the cables from my 522 and connected to the 622, then plugged the HDMI cable from my TV into the 622. Turned the unit on, it went through it's setup and about 15 minutes later was watching the HDTV preview channel. Getting the unit activated was a little tougher. It took several phone calls and long waits to speak to the coprrect people to cancel my install which was scheduled for 2/22 and to activate the receiver. It took 15 minutes to set up the 622, but 70 minutes to get it activated. Once activated the system seems to work fine. I recorded several programs without any problems. I set several timers for last night, and will check them tonight when I get home. First impressions are that the receiver is great. I will spend more time with it this weekend and report back what I find.

Man I hope they work well with few bugs. It would be nice to have a solid DVR with a solid OTA tuner and timers. Figures they would dangle a nice machine in front of all the 921 and 942 owners hoping to real us in.:rolleyes:

I couldn't wait any longer. I was on the waiting list at Dishstore but my local retailer called me Wednesday and told me that he had two 622 receivers and asked if I wanted the other one. I finally caved in to the pressure and picked it up. He even cut me a deal on it since I buy everything from him. The install was a snap since I already had a DPP44 switch and a dish at 61.5. I removed the Vip211, boxed it up, and hooked up the 622. I called Dish's Advanced Tech support and told them that I wanted to activate my new receiver that I purchased from a retailer. She asked for my receiver number and smart card number and then proceeded to tell me that I was activating their new 622 receiver. I told her that she was correct and that I just purchased it locally. She was a little confused because I didn't have an installation scheduled on my account. She then asked me what receiver was I going to return and I told her that all of my receivers were purchased by me and that I wasn't going to return anything but rather, I was going to sell them. Once she said I was good to go, I told her to make the 622 my primary receiver and to deactivate the 211. I was worried that she would mess up my old HD pack and Voom package and I would have to get a metallic package but all was good. She said to wait at least 20 minutes for the receiver to get activated. I waited 30 and still nothing so I called Dish again. I spoke to another Advanced Tech and he told me to read the numbers back to him. He repeated the smart card number back to me and said that's the problem. The first tech entered it in wrong. He said the new receivers don't require the first two 00's at the beginning because it cuts the last two digits off. He put me on hold while he received help in changing my smart card numbers. Within 2 minutes of the change, my 622 was working.
The only problem I have had with this receiver is when I tried to scan in my locals. Nothing would scan in! The VIP 211 didn't have a problem scanning in locals so I don't know what the problem could be. I tried the scan 4 times and each time it seemed like the scan went by too fast! I manually added the channels without any problem though. What I don't understand is the lowest signal I got was 88! I believe if Dish slowed down the scan with their next software release then the problem would be solved.
All in all, I am very pleased with this receiver. This is Dish's best receiver to date and it sets the mark to which all receivers will be judged against. Anyone who gets this receiver will be very pleased. I even loaded pictures into the 622 with my USB drive and the slide show worked great.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts