Potential ex cable sub looking for help.

BobHelms

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Cary, NC
Hi all;
I'm a newbie here, been reading posts for a while now and I'm looking for some opinions and some information please. Once all the new sub deals like 4 free months of 'whatever', and 12 month reduced rates are history is E* still a better choice than cable? I'm just fed up with the CS you get from TWC, no matter what your problem is their arrogance always shows. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a E* solution mainly because of the candid post I've read here. I going to do my own cable burying as the installers I've talked to are quite clear when it comes to putting 200 feet of it in the ground. Frankly that's OK, I know what the rules are up front. I'm having a hard time finding 3 GHz dual RG6 with the messenger ground on the web. Who knows I might want to switch to D* one day. Can anyone point me to a good site that sells it by the foot. I don't need to buy a 500' or 1000' spool. Also for those veterans who have burying experience, how deep does it really need to be? I live in central NC where hard red clay soil is the norm. TIA for the help!:)

Here are two solutions:

PVRG6DUAL RG6 500' coaxial cable UL

You don't have to use messenger cable with a ground wire on it. If you want to ground.... you can ground with ordinary 10-12 gauge copper wire. Attach one end to the Dish, and the other to the ground source. Just as good (if not better) than what Dish does.

OR

80-TD660-2U-BS VEXTRA DUAL RG6 60% 2GHz UL BLSP 500'

The Vextra has no attached ground wire... the Perfect Vision is only swept tested 2200 mhz. You don't have to have 3ghz cable... it is just the recommendation so that there is some overhead built into the cable.... satellite signal only needs up to 2150mhz to operate perfectly.

As far as burial.... Dish Network recommends burial of 4-6 inches. Some like to go deeper, but there is not much point unless you plan on digging around near where the cable is in the future. If you keep it relatively shallow, it is easier to attempt to service the cable in the future.

Oh, and a little tip for dealing with Dish Network CSRs..... first thing out of your mouth should be "May I have you Operator ID?" Calls are recorded and they are required to give their OP ID to anyone that asks. They are held accountable for anything they tell you. This will almost guarantee you a straight, honest response... and if not, they will have to honor what they told you anyway.

Also, there are Call Centers all over the world... if you get someone that doesn't seem to be understanding your questions, hang up and call back. You will most likely get a different Call Center the next time.

Hi all;
I'm a newbie here, been reading posts for a while now and I'm looking for some opinions and some information please. Once all the new sub deals like 4 free months of 'whatever', and 12 month reduced rates are history is E* still a better choice than cable? I'm just fed up with the CS you get from TWC, no matter what your problem is their arrogance always shows. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a E* solution mainly because of the candid post I've read here. I going to do my own cable burying as the installers I've talked to are quite clear when it comes to putting 200 feet of it in the ground. Frankly that's OK, I know what the rules are up front. I'm having a hard time finding 3 GHz dual RG6 with the messenger ground on the web. Who knows I might want to switch to D* one day. Can anyone point me to a good site that sells it by the foot. I don't need to buy a 500' or 1000' spool. Also for those veterans who have burying experience, how deep does it really need to be? I live in central NC where hard red clay soil is the norm. TIA for the help!:)

Even tho' the technician will charge for burial, he will supply the cable for free. So why not have him do the install, but you bury it after said install occurs?

Even tho' the technician will charge for burial, he will supply the cable for free. So why not have him do the install, but you bury it after said install occurs?

Yep.... I have left many a cable lying on the ground for the customer to go back and bury.

I have also left several shovels lying on the ground in a customer's back yard while I went to lunch. If I got back from lunch and a hole and a trench was there, I would use it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts