Potential New Customer but CSR says I can't use a local dealer to give me 2 Hoppers????

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I have 2 TV's and my husband and I routinely watch 2 different channels and record 2 different other channels at the same time, so a Hopper and a Joey will still not allow that. The only option is 2 Hoppers. BUt here are my questions:

1) If I choose a local dealer, the CSR says they cannot authorize 2 Hoppers for 2 TV's--why not?

2) Will the 2 Hoppers give me true Whole Home DVR--can I watch from one TV (on Hopper 1) what was recorded on TV 2 (Hopper 2)? If not, why would I need to pay the Whole Home DVR fee?

3) To get the 2nd Hopper, I pay $99 Lease one time fee--is that only if I get them both at the same time or if I get the 2nd Hopper later, is it going to be more?

4) What will the monthly fees be for 2 Hoppers--$10 Whole Home DVR fee and $7 for 2nd tv for $17 total? I have had 3 CSR's give me 3 different versions. Also, the last CSR assured me that there was a connection on the back of the Hopper for OTA tuner--I politely declined any further negotiations and said I would check--she wouldn't let me hang up--kept asking me--what are your concerns, what are your concerns? I just hung up. I would rather go through my local dealer, quite honestly because of these sorts of scenarios.

Thanks, Pat

1 - Some have reported yes, some have reported no, YMMV. Some have reported getting that setup from a CSR. Some have ordered 2 Hoppers & 1 Joey & refused Joey on delivery;
2 - Yes
3 - A new customer generally receives 1st Hopper & up to 3 Joeys for free. A second Hopper is generally $199 for new customers. Existing customers generally can upgrade to 1 Hopper & up to 3 Joeys for $99 and generally a second Hopper is $99 so it kind of works out the same price for 2 Hoppers for new or existing.
4 - I believe you calculated fees properly for a 2 Hopper setup. Installation is generally $95. There are 3 USB on each Hopper, but it has been reported that only one OTA tuner can be connected to each Hopper. The OTA tuner is expected to be available soon, but is not in the wild as of yet.

3 - A new customer generally receives 1st Hopper & up to 3 Joeys for free. A second Hopper is generally $199 for new customers. Existing customers generally can upgrade to 1 Hopper & up to 3 Joeys for $99 and generally a second Hopper is $99 so it kind of works out the same price for 2 Hoppers for new or existing.
Around August, Dish dropped the price of the second hopper for new customers from $199 to $99. New customers basically have a $100 price advantage over existing customers since their first hopper is free.

Hoppers being installed this afternoon, just called & asked if price for upgrade had been lowered to $50 & they changed my fees to $115 for 2 Hoppers/Joeys. Thanks guys - you saved me $100 today!!:)

Hoppers being installed this afternoon, just called & asked if price for upgrade had been lowered to $50 & they changed my fees to $115 for 2 Hoppers/Joeys. Thanks guys - you saved me $100 today!!:)
Take some of that money you saved and pay it forward and become a Pub Member for $20 to show your gratification. Make-A-Wish would also benefit if you do it by Nov. 7.

DISH just lowered the existing customer upgrade cost for a Hopper to $50

So does this mean I really should wait to install the 2nd hopper--until I am officially a "customer" and then can ask for the 2nd Hopper for $50? Is there an additional fee to install as an upgrade (since it probably needs another line and node coming from the dish) at a later time than initial install or would it be the same?

Existing customers Two Hoppers $115 like post above.
New Customers like me- Two Hoppers $99 (installed just 2 days ago).

digitalblue said:

That figures. I just upgraded about 3 weeks ago and had to pay $200 for 2 hoppers. . I guess I should have waited.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I just had two Hoppers installed Sunday. Order the 2 Hopper 1 Joey package. That's what I did. Then when the installer gets there have him call Dish and take the joey off the work order. My installer did that for me. He got the 2 Hoppers going and that was that. He says he's done that a few times with no problem. Dish would rather you lose a Joey and get 2 Hoppers than lose a new customer. At least that's what my installer said. Good luck!

digitalblue said:

Damn, as usual us early adopters got screwed!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Damn, as usual us early adopters got screwed!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

You knew, you know, you did, and yet you b!tch? :hand: :wtf:

You had the benifit of playing with the latest and greatest (x3) for a long time. :D

I've been waiting for OTA & manual timers, and maybe better EHD functionality (some report problems w/transferring to Hopper). Maybe now I should wait until Feb to see new pricing structure, and my job prospects.

As existing customer, I'm getting 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys for total upgrade cost of $100. I was really surprised. I mean, that is good, right? :). Let me know if that was good or par. I placed the order last Monday Nov. 5th. Got a US CSR, and she made it SO EASY, and she knew what she was doing. She even said I seemed to know exactly what I wanted. She said that was rare, but that's why it went very fast and easy for her. Always USA CSR's! I've never had an issue with them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)