Potential New Customer with ?'s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chuteboxe39

Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Hello everyone, first sorry if these ?s have been asked before, didn't see a FAQ section or anything. Anyway, im dissatisfied with suddenlink's HD channels and dismal number of PPV channels. I'm looking at DirectTV purely for these reasons. So my questions are
1. Is satellite service as bad as they say it is , by that i mean interruptions, pixelation, no service during thunder/rain storms ? My parents have dish network and they haven't really had many problems.
2. Is DirectTV's service good ? I've read a few horror stories about DTV's customer service and hidden fees.
3. I live in an apt. complex, is it possible/practical to have a dish, i would have to put it on the patio right ? would that be any less reliable.
4. I Imagine i should just ask a rep when I call, but can anyone here tell me how much am I looking at for installation ? With the cost of the dish/HDDVR and channel selection (plus HD DVR package) what am i looking at really for installation ? It says 54.99 for the first year after rebate, how hard is it to get that rebate ?

Thanks anyone who can help me with any of these concerns.

1. I rarely lose my signal, it basically has to be a major storm with lightning before my signal goes out, and then it comes back on within minutes.

2. Was with Directv for seven years, decided to try out Time Warner cable because of my locals in HD, the service was so poor and my cable was out so many times that I came right back and will never leave again. Equipment wise, I would suggest paying the $5.99 month for the warranty, worth it in the long run.

3. I believe that is a landlord/lease question??????

4. There is a thread on how you can save up to $240 as a new customer, search this forum, I am sure I read about it here....

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to have you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Don't worry about rain fade. I rarely lose signal. It has to be a huge downpour to knock out the signal. I lose signal maybe 2 times a year if that, but only for maybe 10 mins while the rain is really coming down. I lost cable signal much more frequently than I have ever lost satellite.

In the past 4 years, I've lost signal for a total of about 90 minutes (including power outages).

People in my area that have cable lost it for 6-7 weeks average when a windstorm came through and blew down about 150 poles a few years ago.

Hello everyone, first sorry if these ?s have been asked before, didn't see a FAQ section or anything. Anyway, im dissatisfied with suddenlink's HD channels and dismal number of PPV channels. I'm looking at DirectTV purely for these reasons. So my questions are

1. Is satellite service as bad as they say it is , by that i mean interruptions, pixelation, no service during thunder/rain storms ? My parents have dish network and they haven't really had many problems.

The system is very reliable and you are getting the info directly from the source verses 15 miles of cables, amps and repeaters (not saying its bad but introduces a lot of potential problem areas)

As stated if peaked correctly you shouldn't have many problems, rain fade is a fact but needs to be a heavy storm. Pixelizing does occur a couple times a year due to sun/sat alignments but usually only during a certain time during the day for a short period

2. Is DirectTV's service good ? I've read a few horror stories about DTV's customer service and hidden fees.

Service is what it is in today's world, some will say D* sucks and others will say its great, but the same can be said for any company. In my experience as a tech their Reps are great while the outsourced sales can be shady so make sure you get what you are promised and understand what FREE means. All fee's are spelled out for you when you place your order sans any extra install costs that may need to be made in non-standard installs, which teh tech will go over with you.

3. I live in an apt. complex, is it possible/practical to have a dish, i would have to put it on the patio right ? would that be any less reliable.

It should be put on a tripod with a single cinderblock holding it, or the tech may use a Rail mount kit if the railing is strong enough. Make sure you have written Landlord permission from the Apartment Manager before the tech gets there, also a view of the SW sky w/o trees or other buildings.

4. I Imagine i should just ask a rep when I call, but can anyone here tell me how much am I looking at for installation ? With the cost of the dish/HDDVR and channel selection (plus HD DVR package) what am i looking at really for installation ? It says 54.99 for the first year after rebate, how hard is it to get that rebate ?

Generally the rebates are instant and don't require a mail in. I know with the $74.95 NFL Sunday Ticket Promo they give you a HDDVR "free" with a monthly fee of $9.99 for hd/dvr access. In any promo you get 4 non HD receivers with no equipment costs (lease fee after the first is $4.99 a month) in basic 1 basic receiver can be swapped for a DVR or HD receiver. If they do charge for the HDDVR it can be anywhere from $99 to $199 but not likely atm for just 1. Install is free but basic. The Tripod may be chargeable, wall fishes, ladders over 32', pole mounts and fishing cables through the wall for wall mounted tv's. RF Modulators, DSL Filters, Networking are all chargeable, but explained by the tech if they are needed and costs before he starts.

You will have to have a $25 hold on a Credit Card which is released 48 hours after your account is activated. If you have some credit issues they may charge $200-$300 deposit which is paid back monthly verses being held for 10 years.

Thanks anyone who can help me with any of these concerns.

hey thanks a bunch zynergy that was very helpful. problem though. my apt patio faces northerly. You said the SW sky. Am I screwed here ?

Rain doesn't really affect the dish. This was my main concern when I got it in August. The only time my dish went out was for about 4 minutes during a heavy rain this past Saturday night, but then it came back on. It was raining extremely hard at the time. Even if you have a very steady moderate rain it shouldn't affect your signal. Also, installation should be free. If you are looking into getting an HD DVR, its $99 after the instant rebate, but the HD DVR is free if you sign up for Sunday Ticket and then you get 4 months of the Premiere package free. Great deal overall.

hey thanks a bunch zynergy that was very helpful. problem though. my apt patio faces northerly. You said the SW sky. Am I screwed here ?

If you do not have a view of the South/ Southwest depending where you are, see if the installer can do a pole mount around the corner, verify that that is OK with the landlord first.
Are you on the ground floor ?

You definatly need a view to the south, someway, somehow.

Jimbo

crap. i don't know how i'm going to be able to get a view of the south sky. my apt patio is in the middle of the unit, on the north side. AND im on the ground floor, and there is a breezeway between the buildings of the unit. can't really peak it around the corner. is there anyway i could make this work. the only way i could see this working is if i put it on the roof or a pole or something, neither of which i would think would be allowed.

He was actually being serious... a 5 Gallon bucket with a 4' pole filled with concrete will hold her still. Check with your apartment manager and see what options are available and let them know you do have non-permanent options through D*

He was actually being serious... a 5 Gallon bucket with a 4' pole filled with concrete will hold her still. Check with your apartment manager and see what options are available and let them know you do have non-permanent options through D*

hmm ok didn't think that was a serious answer, lol. I will check with the manager tomorrow, she basically told me on the initial visit I had with her that the only real stipulation she had was that it not be attached to anything. Maybe this will work even though it seems a bit... drastic. I imagine this would cost something extra, and would this be something that an installer would help do ?

also, if i did get this pole how stable would that really be ? i mean wouldn't a bad wind storm knock that over ? if it did fall over then i'd be liable for any damages that are incurred.

also, if i did get this pole how stable would that really be ? i mean wouldn't a bad wind storm knock that over ? if it did fall over then i'd be liable for any damages that are incurred.

They make support struts to keep it from falling over & also people have used basic wiring techniques like keeping a small tree in place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)