Power Lines - obstruction?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChuckS2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Hi Gang - Will an FTA system work looking *through* some power lines?

There's a lot of space between the wires so it seems like it would mostly work, but having some difficulty. Nearby neighbors have a dish setup with directv or dish or something at the same level - my new apt has a great south facing deck on the 2nd floor, the only obstruction is lookup up toward some nearby power lines. Direct south (-80) might be over the top of the lines but off to the sides will definitely aim through them.

My fta system works fine elsewhere, a Globecast ellipical dish and lnb (10750) with a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA and an sg-2100 motor. I (eventually) remembered to reprogram the new lat/long in the receiver positioner setup.

Big thanks for the strong transponder list - just what I needed at the moment
(or as soon as it stops raining)

--Chuck

I would certainly try and locate the dish where the lines are not in the line of sight to the satellite, but shooting through the local stepped down power transmission lines should not be a problem as long as the line is 20 or more feet away. Aiming near transformers usually are a problem and should be avoided.

Thanks - this 5x12' deck is all the real estate I can easily work with. I'll post final results - it *should* be able to see IA7 to SBS6 from here at 80W/40N - maybe ;)

Great! Finally got 'er to work! Looking THRU some lines might be degrading signals by, oh, maybe 20% (wild guess) but the major malfunction was getting accurate compass readings with air conditioning condenser motor nearby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)