Power Outage?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ryanvan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
We had a 4 hour power outage last night...now TV2 will not work. Any ideas why? I am not at home and the wife called and is freaking out. Can anyone help?

Have her turn on TV one then press the MODE button on the front of the receiver. that should turn on TV 2. :)

If it does not press and hold the power button until it reboots.

It's really hard to explain this stuff over the phone. The wife isn't tech savvey AT ALL!

ryanvan said:
It's really hard to explain this stuff over the phone. The wife isn't tech savvey AT ALL!
Echo that! I often find my wife watching a snowy OTA channel on "her" TV because something went awry with the 811. I have showed her several times how to soft reboot it (what could be simpler?), but I have yet to see/hear of an instance that she has actually done that. (Reminds me on the days with VCRs flashing "12:00"...!)

Well this is a little different, we have the 622. So there is no box on 'her' TV. I will have to admit I am pretty savvey and I don't know what to do. I have only had it a week so I need to read up on more stuff.

From Dish's Tech Portal:

HD Format Reset Feature

When the "MODE" button on the 622 and 942 front panel is pressed and held for approximately 5 seconds, the 622 and 942 format resets to Single-user mode, shared-view ON, 480P HD resolution. The 622 and 942 will then reset for confirmation that the changes were made.

Last edited:
A power spike hit my 622, through my "surge protector" and i couldnt get tv1 or 2 to work. After rebooting, unplugging everything, replacing the power "surge protect" strip, However, i DID get it to work again by, get this, "unpluging my small :eek: USB Fan that I had plugged into the 622 to help cool it. Anyway, no more fans for my 622!! I'm gonna let it cook from now on.

The issue probably doesn't have anything to do with the 622's output after the outage. Typically what happens there is that when the TV loses power it goes back to its default settings out of the box. The 622 outputs to a modulated channel (usually 60 or 73), which you can check in the system info screen (Menu-6-1-3 box J). Usually you can just match that channel from system info to the channel on TV2 and you'll be fixed, but if not, read on.

When the power comes back on your tv will be on either air/antenna mode (which means the tv channels won't go higher than 69) or in cable/catv mode (channels higher than 69). All you have to do is make the settings match on the receiver output and on the tv.

You can change the 622 settings by pressing Menu-6-1-5 and switching between air and cable depending on whether the tv goes higher than channel 69. If higher, set the 622 for TV2 cable (TV1 output disabled) in the "Modulator Setup" screen and Done to save the change. The setting will default to 73, so just put TV2 on channel 73 and you should be fixed. The default for air mode on the 622 will be channel 60 and you just follow the same steps if your tv won't go higher than 69 except that you want the 622 to be set for air mode.

You can also change those modulation settings on the tv itself, but it would be pointless to post general instructions here in that each brand has different setup menus. Consult your manual.

If none of those suggestions work, you're probably looking at equipment failure on the part of the tv/622/cable and you want to have your wife call Dish for tech support.

Hope that wasn't too dense and good luck getting it fixed!

Yep that was it..mine is on channel 75, when the TV came back on it was on like 95. Just changed the channel and it worked.

That's not the rule, but that's usually what goes on when there's a snowy screen after a power outage. Glad to have helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts