Power supply burnout!

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Anyone have a problem with their power supply on the 622 burning out? My wife called me today and said she was having some problems with the picture on TV2 where it was freezing up. She went in and turned on TV1 and it still showed freezing. After a few minutes she decided to do a hard reboot and went out side to do something, came back in and restarted the unit where it promptly went black on the screen and the lights on the unit went out! She called CSR and talked to a tech who said right off that the power supply had burned out and there was nothing she could do with it. He also said he would ship out a new unit right away and I should recieve it by Friday. They tried to tell her that she would be responsible for the shipping but after 2 minutes on the phone with her he relented and said he would credit us for the shipping. I have had no real problem with the 622 since I got it in April so I was kind of surprised. The CSR tech was very nice and co-operative to my wife, who hasn't a clue about talking to some of those people, and pleasant. Anyone out there have anything like this happen? Thanks

shodobe said:
Anyone have a problem with their power supply on the 622 burning out? My wife called me today and said she was having some problems with the picture on TV2 where it was freezing up. She went in and turned on TV1 and it still showed freezing. After a few minutes she decided to do a hard reboot and went out side to do something, came back in and restarted the unit where it promptly went black on the screen and the lights on the unit went out! She called CSR and talked to a tech who said right off that the power supply had burned out and there was nothing she could do with it. He also said he would ship out a new unit right away and I should recieve it by Friday. They tried to tell her that she would be responsible for the shipping but after 2 minutes on the phone with her he relented and said he would credit us for the shipping. I have had no real problem with the 622 since I got it in April so I was kind of surprised. The CSR tech was very nice and co-operative to my wife, who hasn't a clue about talking to some of those people, and pleasant. Anyone out there have anything like this happen? Thanks

The few times I've seen this, it has been due to heat build up on the unit itself. This could be due to poor ventilation and/or placing objects on top of the unit itself such as a vcr/dvd player.

I think the PS burning-up is pure speculation on the part of the CSR. Altho' that is certainly a possibility, in the case of the 622 there are quite a few other components in the system that could cause similar symptoms upon failure and are probably more likely to be the victims of excessive heat.

Bottom line - make sure the 622 has adequate spacing on all 6 sides (even the top that does not have any ventilation slots) and consider providing additional forced air cooling, as has been discussed in several other threads...

(PS - Let your unit cool thoroughly by pulling the plug for a while, then repower it and see if it has any life left in it!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts