POWERMAX PMA24 Bites the Dust

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
A couple of days ago I was sitting and relaxing in the backyard and streaming programs from the A3 to my Phone. At the end of the program, I changed the channel and the 12ft Paraclipse began to travel to the new chosen location. Suddenly, I heard a noise like something just broke, but you could hear the motor on the actuator still running, but the dish wasn't going anywhere. I quickly ran inside and shutoff the power to Dishmover (GBOX). On returning to the Dish, I did a visual inspection of the dish and the actuator, but saw no damage. I then went on to open the back of the motor. It was then I saw that some plate had broken clean off. I know the best thing to do is to buy a quality Actuator, but my budget doesn't permit that now.
Is there any way I could fix the broken part or where to buy replacement part? Does anyone have a surplus quality 24" or 36" actuator they'll be willing to part with at a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.
PowerMax 24_01.jpg PowerMax 24_02.jpg

I have a scrap PMA24. acme nut worn badly. I'll pull the motor end off and send it to you. It only weighs 22 oz. I smoked the reed switch in it once and just stuck in one I had that worked. You could take yours out and put it in this one if you want. PM a shipping address. You can just have it.

The motor is on the way :) However.. After studying the pictures you posted and the symptoms you described, I don't see why the dish isn't moving. There is something else broken here. You will have to remove your motor and check the connection between the acme screw and the big nylon gear. Let us know how you come out.

Reactions: Babadem
I would pull the motor and check the sheer pin that couples the motor to the acme screw.

I would pull the motor and check the sheer pin that couples the motor to the acme screw.
LOL it is not near as elegant as you think. the screw is hammered flat into a tab and fits into a slot in the back of the drive gear.
PMA24 002.JPG

Reactions: KE4EST
Well that certainly is different!

The motor is on the way :) However.. After studying the pictures you posted and the symptoms you described, I don't see why the dish isn't moving. There is something else broken here. You will have to remove your motor and check the connection between the acme screw and the big nylon gear. Let us know how you come out.
Thanks for your help. It's been raining continously the past few days here. We're hoping to get a relief by Sunday that will give me a chance to take the actuator off the dish and see the full extent of the damage.

Reactions: Magic Static
Update:
Not good......... The tube size from my old actuator is wider than the receiving opening on the motor from Magic Static. It doesn't fit. I don't have the tools to widen the opening on the motor. Also, using my old motor to move the actuator tube I noticed that there is a gap/slip before the retraction or extension of the inner tube. This gap/slip in movement seems to be coming from the Tube. For example, when I press the East/West button on the GBOX, I hear the motor, and see the counter on the GBOX increase/decrease, then a second or so later, you see the inner tube extend or retract. I hear squeaking noise coming from the inner tube towards the end when retracting the actuator . When I look at the tube I see a nut attached to the flat screw. Should the bolt be tightened? Can the Tube be taken apart? I wanted to swap the electronics board from Magic Static with mine, but the dimensions are different. At this point I seem to be back to square one and looking for an actuator.

Note: On the pictures with 2 motors displayed, the images on the left are of the broken motor and to the right is from Magic Static.

Attachments

• Repair_01.jpg
    Repair_01.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Repair_02.jpg
    Repair_02.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Repair_03.jpg
    Repair_03.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
  • Repair_04.jpg
    Repair_04.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 209
In picture number one the nut on the shaft is loose. Hold the end of the shaft and tighten the nut against the thrust bearing. This will remove the play and probably the reason it broke.
The PMA24 I have came with one of those WSI 6' specials. Amazingly cheap construction even compared to what you have.

Reactions: Babadem
In picture number one the nut on the shaft is loose. Hold the end of the shaft and tighten the nut against the thrust bearing. This will remove the play and probably the reason it broke.
The PMA24 I have came with one of those WSI 6' specials. Amazingly cheap construction even compared to what you have.
I will tighten it and see if it fixes the issue, but with my original motor broken the way it is, I don't know how long it will hold. I wish the one you sent me was a match for my shaft. My PMA24 was a WSI 6ft special too. They must have had different versions.

Tightened the nut on the shaft, the slop still present, The broken motor is rattling loudly and the plastic gears are kind of moving out of place. This rescue / repair has failed. :(

The VonWeise actuator arrived on Friday, May 20th and I set it up the next day. :) Magic Static included all the brackets that I needed and the install was a breeze, except when I lost one of the little screws used to tighten the reed wires on the motor. It fell into the an area covered with sand, grass and leaves!:eeek After searching for almost 20 minutes, I did the next best thing. I went to Home Depot to buy a replacement, but to my disappointment, they didn't carry any. Then it occurred to me to buy a Telescopic Magnetic Pick-up Tool from Home Depot, and it picked that little screw in less than 3 minutes. Phew!! The VonWeise Operates smoothly........I'm lovin it! Thank you Magic Static for making me a Winner!:biggrin

Attachments

• VonWeise_01.jpg
    VonWeise_01.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 209
  • VonWeise_02.jpg
    VonWeise_02.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 189
  • VonWeise_03.jpg
    VonWeise_03.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 211
  • VonWeise_04.jpg
    VonWeise_04.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 193
  • VonWeise_05.jpg
    VonWeise_05.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 207
  • VonWeise_06.jpg
    VonWeise_06.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 203
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts