PowerVu question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toonses

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
sunny south
I often see that a channel is encripted with "PowerVu". Who is the provider that sells service to these channels? :coffee Toonses

PowerVU encryption is only (so far as I know) on commercial receivers.
You might find one surplus, but from previous threads, you won't be able to get it authorized.
....Unless you are a cable company with thousands of users, and willing to pay for thousands of subscriptions.
Also, there is no centralized clearing house - you do business directly with the uplinker (owner of the copyright).

I'm no expert on the subject, but I hated to see no better answer to your post. :)

Anole pretty much nailed it

If there is more than one channel in the mux that is Powervu the uplinker can turn on one station, 2 or all depending on the parameters the cable/satco needs

The only PowerVu stations that are non-commercial technically is AFN (Armed Forces Network)
If you are in the military you can get a receiver that decodes it (D9234 last I checked) and subscribe through the military

POwerVu receivers will work on FTA channels but usually there is a setting you have to change to make it work with FTA

I think there are different levels of encryption,maybe powervu or powervu plus.
Some channels have the video encrypted powervu but audio in the clear.

To the OP: Powervu is just a scrambling system. Depends on which satellite you were seeing the channels on, but there are many, with different uplinkers providing the channels. To answer more directly: There is no service in the US that makes any of those channels available to us, as end-users, unfortunately. They're cable-channels and only the cable companies could get authorized for reception/redistribution. Too bad, too, we could get a ton of tv if anybody would sell direct to fta'ers. >Sometimes they turn that encryption off, and you might get to watch one of those channels for a while!

The only PowerVu stations that are non-commercial technically is AFN (Armed Forces Network)
If you are in the military you can get a receiver that decodes it (D9234 last I checked) and subscribe through the military

POwerVu receivers will work on FTA channels but usually there is a setting you have to change to make it work with FTA
I just picked up an Scientific Atlantic PowerVu D9835 today , from a local resale shop , for $4.99 . Found a manual online , a few minutes before I read this . Hope it wasn't a total waste of money .

its a real basic receiver. Did you get the remote with it?
Reason I ask is there is a hidden menu that requires the remote (or a universal that works with it)

If you need a remote, I may have one. I just have to dust off the retired component area of the basement to check.....

Thanks for the offer & help . Yeh , it came with a remote . Played with it last night , haven't got anywhere yet . Both fta lines into my house are on 4x1 disqec switches , I only see a 22 kHz setting , so will have to run 1 lnb to it , for set up purposes . I don't fully understand the net ID number . Did find the "PowerVu" setting in "advance settings" and switched it fta viewing . So figuring the net id , just might be for commercial use ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts