PowerVu receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for the clarification, Krapola... I remembered from my research a couple of years ago that the 9222 was to be avoided like the plague (proprietary). I didn't know that the earlier revisions of the 9224 did not do 4:2:2, thanks for the warning :)

D9222 are junk..The receive SA-Phase 1.5v...not Dvb compliant, proprietary services only...South America has some Phase 1.5 stuff around...

Shaw does too in North America. Also, I believe that the last OTB holdouts have converted from Phase 1.5 to true DVB-S now.

Shaw does too in North America. Also, I believe that the last OTB holdouts have converted from Phase 1.5 to true DVB-S now.

The 1.5 stuff has to go..hell, SA Classic is not supported any more since Dec. 07...Most of the OTB and Host Tracks went with SA 1.5 after the GI DCI SCPC gear was installed back in "93-'94..I believe Philly Park was the first with 1.5v as a simulated Earth Station concept...Auto Tote continued that..no idea where they are today on gear..I quite caring:cool:

..Auto Tote continued that..no idea where they are today on gear..I quite caring:cool:

I can see you quit caring - they aren't Autotote anymore! ;)

The feeds use DVB-S now (every single feed I've found and locked, atl least, on all the OTB transponders). I don't find any more DC1 or Powervu 1.5 anymore when I do OTB feed checks.

I can see you quit caring - they aren't Autotote anymore! ;)

The feeds use DVB-S now (every single feed I've found and locked, atl least, on all the OTB transponders). I don't find any more DC1 or Powervu 1.5 anymore when I do OTB feed checks.

Autotote has a small few left but are thriving well at what they do best, tote...RCN and Scientific Games seem to have taken most of the Uplinks for Horse/Dog racing...some get fiber'd to E/S's...

BUMP!
How are those PowerVU's doing Ice?
Krapola/tron,
1- What if anything is a PowerVu DV3 good for?
2- For future hunting, if there is a shot of the rear apron on a 9223/9224 is there a way to tell by the connectors if it is 4:2:2 capable?

BUMP!
How are those PowerVU's doing Ice?
Krapola/tron,
1- What if anything is a PowerVu DV3 good for?
2- For future hunting, if there is a shot of the rear apron on a 9223/9224 is there a way to tell by the connectors if it is 4:2:2 capable?

That is a "B" not a 3 on the IRD...It just looks like a 3...;)
D9223's do not decode 422....That I have every worked with...And we have TONS of SA gear....As for the D9224's, only the very first versions and not all of them had 422 limitations...Check the revision of the unit, if Rev3, you are good to go...

DV. . . . B.
Dang it! Every feel like a dummy 'cause you missed the obvious?.........lol. The fleabay auctioneer lsted it as a DV3 and I didnt connect the dots. DV3 - DVB duh!
hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/Scientific-Atlanta-PowerVU-DV3-Satellite-Receiver_W0QQitemZ120321463662QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120321463662&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

D9223's do not decode 422.......hmmm
Somebody didnt tell these guys - hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/SA-POWERVU-D9223-DVB-8PSK-QPSK-4-2-2-SATELLITE-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ220298223693QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220298223693&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
but 100 buck untested isnt a bargin AFAIC. They say they have 10 to disppose of.......... any one feel like throwing the dice?
Tnx for the reply Krapola

the free stuff up there...if its free then it wouldn't be powervu encrypted now would it ;)

now thats not all true

you take a used directv receiver and hook it up you get 101 (ppv previews)
201 (DTV HELP) 500 (mirror of 101) and 700 something you get upcoming sports (the also play classic rock on that channel wich is a nice freebie)

now if you take a fta receiver and try do that you cant do it, they dont have the hardware to.

so just having a used Directv receiver gives you 4 free channels that are unviewable on a FTA receiver

Hmmm indeed.
Well he still suposedly has 'em stacked 10 high ready to move, but for 40 bucks more and he must have been doing some Googling to re-appraise his stock. $50 MAYBE even $60 delivered might not be too bad a spin of the wheel, but not what he's asking now. If he spent a lil time and verified working order for 4:2:2, the asking price could be increased even bryond that, with merit. Powersellers, it's all in the name.....lol
You still playing with your new toys Ice, or are you on yet another new adventure?

Last edited:
now thats not all true

you take a used directv receiver and hook it up you get 101 (ppv previews)
201 (DTV HELP) 500 (mirror of 101) and 700 something you get upcoming sports (the also play classic rock on that channel wich is a nice freebie)

now if you take a fta receiver and try do that you cant do it, they dont have the hardware to.
I have no clue what the heck this has to do with anything but the reason a DVB box wont work on DirectV is its different encryption/scheme to send the signal out.

D* uses DSS whereas the DVB boxes do....DVB
Just like a 4DT wont get the DVB stuff because 4DTV uses DCII

The PowerVu box gets the free stuff just fine. If I had a powervu authorization (which unless I use it for Armed Forces TV and actually am in the military which isnt happening) then I can only use it for FTA

so just having a used Directv receiver gives you 4 free channels that are unviewable on a FTA receiver
ok..but see my point above. There are plenty of channels up there that a FTA DVB box cant get
-analog
-DCII channels
-DSS channels
-MPEG 1.5 channels
-scrambled channels

Not to mention those free DCII channels/feeds we dont mention...........
What was that thing about free audio, aka music on DTV I read about somewhere? They know its open and dont care, similar to what EVu was doing with Galaxy stuff a while back? Like was said DSS box needed, not DVB. Guess that gone now too, judging by Techfizzle's free list from there.

heck a while back Dish audio (except Sirius), ExpressVu audio and the radio stations were all FTA

Then compressvu scrambled the audio
then the radio stations
then Dish scrambled all except for the holiday channel (which was always FTA) and...the Hawaiian channel (which is still FTA)

god those were the days when you'd buy the crappiest cheapest box just to have Dish audio or for the radio stations :)

....As for the D9224's, only the very first versions and not all of them had 422 limitations...Check the revision of the unit, if Rev3, you are good to go...

Are you saying that only Rev3 will do 4:2:2, or will earlier Revisions (1 & 2?) also do 4:2:2? And where is the Rev. info found on the receiver, thanks. :confused:

edit: I read back in the thread a ways and saw that you previously said only Rev. 3.

Last edited:
Are you saying that only Rev3 will do 4:2:2, or will earlier Revisions (1 & 2?) also do 4:2:2? And where is the Rev. info found on the receiver, thanks. :confused:

edit: I read back in the thread a ways and saw that you previously said only Rev. 3.

Rev 3 would be your guarantee that 422 is available..The Rev 3 indicator will be written on the Factory Sticker along with the TID#, U/A#, etc...it will say Rev 3 if it indeed is that version...

Rev 3 would be your guarantee that 422 is available..The Rev 3 indicator will be written on the Factory Sticker along with the TID#, U/A#, etc...it will say Rev 3 if it indeed is that version...

Thanks for that info, maybe someone will turn one of these units up and get to experiment with it's 4:2:2 capability.

I work in TV and the place I work at has a D9850 that use to be used to get LeJournal feed and that was encrypted but the program provider had the S/N number for it. The other S/A is used for BBC World and that is encrypted too but that SA will get free to air channels too. You can only set up one transponder at a time and these units we have are rack mounted. Give yours a shot see what you can get Free or not. My 2 cents.

That's guys for outbidding me on the once low priced PowerVU headend receiver on EBay last night. :( However, according to the spec sheet it doesn't do 4:2:2.

However, while everyone is looking at PowerVU receivers i'm looking at a NICE top of the line (blank) receiver for very little money. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)